Of our 16 penalties...

Landlord

Well, let's see. Undisciplined? Cotton's actions are very understandable. As far as Martin's PF's...he has been a target since the idiot announcers went after him during the OSU game...so we don't know if the flags on him were justified. The late hit on Osborne was not late and was a textbook hit, and the PI on Denard, if anything, it was offensive PI. The holding calls are a joke. Meredith spends the whole game trying to straighten out his jersey and not one holding call on the Aggies? Two of those no-calls were on consecutive plays where Huskers were held in the end zone (at least one should have resulted in a safety). As far as Bo's penalty goes...I am impressed that he is able to limit his reaction to just yelling at the refs and not kicking one of them in the throat. So what is left? A couple of false starts? A couple of five yard penalties? I think we ended up getting first downs after a couple of the false starts. And the holding calls were a joke considering the non-calls on A&M. I don't know what people are trying to prove coming on this board and trashing the Huskers. Does it make you feel like you are more enlightened? Do you think it makes you seem more reasonable? Because it doesn't. It makes people wonder what your problem is. I bet you are one of those people that loved Callahan and hurled put-downs at anyone that wanted Bo to come coach the Huskers. And now you are here trying to justify your idiotic opinions about our coaching staff by posting idiotic opinions about the team's discipline.

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

And what "changes" do you want, oh Oracle of College Football?

Did somebody say something?

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

I didn't appreciate the smart alec comment. Capisce? Learn how to talk to people and maybe you'll get the results you so desire.

And I don't appreciate people talking as though they know what "changes" can or need to be made to something when they haven't demonstrated the slightest bit of understanding WHAT can or should be changed.

I was going to say at some point you have to start holding the coaches responsible but for me actually that point has long since passed. Time to make changes. Period.

I didn't think so...

I'm waiting. Sack up. Don't throw something so useless out there and not back it up.

I didn't appreciate the smart alec comment. Capisce? Learn how to talk to people and maybe you'll get the results you so desire.

And I don't appreciate people talking as though they know what "changes" can or need to be made to something when they haven't demonstrated the slightest bit of understanding WHAT can or should be changed.

Sorry coach...

I didn't think so...

Sorry coach...

NM.

Didnt read whole thread but my thought is this. Could not believe the douche announcers didnt say anything about the garbage calls on us and the non existant calls on them. Honestly was hoping for a knockout blow aginst the head ref from Bo, that may sound bad but in my eyes is completly legit. I mean why not? The fix was in anyway.lol

3 were false starts

2 were illegal formations

1 was an intentional grounding call

2 were on Ben Cotton, who was getting raped and reacted in nearly the only way you could expect him to react, but conspiracy or no conspiracy, the reaction gets flagged more often than the initial action

6 were personal fouls or unsportsmanlike, besides Cotton's (1 roughing the passer, 1 on Bo/the sideline, 2 on Eric Martin that were unseen, 2 were late hits, can't remember who)

2 were holding

Out of the 16, 6 (false starts, intentional grounding and illegal formations) were absolutely the right calls, with absolutely no bias or conspiracy against us. Bo's unsportsmanlike was probably warranted, Cotton's weren't but you see that all the time, and the two holding calls were probably right (the problem being the lack of holding calls on A&M's side).

Look, I think this game was trash, and that better officiating would have resulted in a different outcome, but let's face it, we are an undisciplined football team. Where is this coming from and how do we fix it?

You forgot the PI calls.

Sir no one will argue the point you have made, but you have to have watched the game to deeply understand that officiating was the issue. I'm sure you did watch the game, i will not question that. it starts with the osborne hit, we are off the field getting the ball back tied and a chance to put it on the leg of Alex. bad call. LITERALLY changed the game and gave it away. Pass INT that was picked up that WAS pass interference by every explanation of the rule. watch the film , read the rule. it was obvious. we were called for holding twice. am not once, but boy it was sooooo obvious all night. Lets not try to be class anymore. No more damn excuses for the officials and this conference. it's time to man up and call em out on it, THIS WAS THE ULTIMATE HOSE JOB.

As I already said, I don't disagree with you, but that is not at all the point of this thread.

Cotton flags where justified -- he kicked a player -- and then said something to the ref -- YES the ref missed the ball grab but he saw the kick and HAD to throw that flag even if the saw the ball grab he would have still thre the flag for the kick. If the fix was in Cotton would have spent the rest of the game in the locker room and would not be playing next week. Just like a punch being thrown! It looked like Bo hit ref with his play card, if so he will writing a check this week. The two calls on Martin, never saw a replay, so I can't say if legit or not. The late hit on the QB was questionable, but after 5 PFs called against NU - anything close was going to be called. Should the PI flag been a no call-- IDK you can hook as long as you dont hold or pull the player. NU did not play well in this game! Refs did them no favors but NU caused a lot of this on their own. 6 PFs!

NO it did not. The event in question: Bo points his play card or swipes it by the ref as he's yelling...no flag comes out...Bo starts to walk away and obviously says something because the ref's face changed at that moment from "ignore ignore ignore" to "did you really just say that" expression. Bo SAID something that caused the flag. Watch it again if you have the stomach to as I no longer do.

Watch the video.

I missed part of the game on TV picking my daughter up at the airport (I know, what a Dad!)

If you watch the video, Cotton kicks the guy off of him. But then the REF puts his hand on Cotton's a$$ and Cotton kicks again. Ben has no way of knowing in that pile whether he got Jerod-Edge off his junk or not.

What ar the chances that the aTm player gets suspended, or arrested, because I'm pretty sure that's illegal still in texas

BTW that was the same officiating crew from the Texas game.

• Fire 1

What I dont understand and correct me if Im wrong... But on Cottons and Martins penalty, they called twice. Meaning that they called "Unnesscary Roughness" and then they called "Unsportsmanlike Conduct," at the same time. What I dont understand is how can they give us 2 penalties like that on the same play on the same player and yet the player not be ejected. My understanding is that the 2nd PF on the same play gets a player ejected. In Cottons case I didnt see anything that warranted a 2nd flag and of course we didnt see Martins because ABC prob knew the screw job was on at that point didnt show replay because theirs was no penalty to show.

I dont think I ever seen that in college football game before. To me it was very bizarre.

Out of the 16, 6 (false starts, intentional grounding and illegal formations) were absolutely the right calls, with absolutely no bias or conspiracy against us. Bo's unsportsmanlike was probably warranted, Cotton's weren't but you see that all the time, and the two holding calls were probably right (the problem being the lack of holding calls on A&M's side).

An Aggie and I'll agree with most of the OP's post. Game was poorly officiated. Bo P needs to keep his cool a bit better, which might help his kids keep their cool. If someone grabbed Cotton that's terrible, but he needs to be smarter than that and there's ways to react and defend yourself without flailing your cleats at the closest defender to the pile (who if someone was grabbing him that wasn't the guy) right in front of a ref.

For the most part refs were letting lots of contact go in the secondary both ways and lots of holding go (in NU's first series there was a play where both defenders at the point of attack were unable to make the play because they were being pulled by their jerseys from behind). I think the only reason that pass interference call against NU was made was because the defender never turned his head on an under thrown ball and completely impeded the receiver from having a chance to get there. I don't remember either of the two NU holding penalties being especially terrible that they would warrant calls when all the other ones for both teams were let go. Depending on timing this again could be refs hissed off at Bo P for continued berating making a call they shouldn't have. Doesn't excuse it if that's the case, but again Bo getting on the refs early, often, and pretty over the top is always going to have potential for that type of bias.

There were two late hit calls on Nebraska players after the play was virtually over, but before the whistle was blown. Refs should protect players by getting on their whistles promptly, not by throwing flags on guys playing to the whistle. Neither of those were game-changers but they outlined the poor reffing.

That late hit on our QB is a terrible, terrible, terrible call and as I was going to bed last night I told my wife I had a bad taste in my mouth about this win because of that call. Not only is it wrong to call a foul when the defender was a step away as the QB let the ball go, but in that situation (incomplete 3rd down late in a tied ballgame) that really has to be an absolutely obviously late hit with intent to injure for a ref to make that call. Its football. People hit people. Anyway I thought it was a great, clean hit by the defender and a great job of Tannehill staying in there to release the ball and take the hit. No flag should have been thrown.

It was a tie game so who knows who it would have turned out had they not made that call in particular, but I feel no joy in winning with that drive being the winning score. As Aggies this is the first time I can ever remember calls going our way in this magnitude, we are used to the opposite most years when we play the klanhorns, this year against Baylor and OU, and if anyone remembers the terrible reffing in 2006 when NU beat us. So I understand and feel for you. I honestly don't think there was any fix in, but it was a very, very poorly reffed game. I hate to see classy teams like NU lose games like this especially when you're ranked as highly as you were with a chance at a good BCS game.

So take that for whats its worth and flame away if you will.

Farva

Basically agree with your post...not going to flame on it at all. Except the Cotton kicking referenc...If you scroll up about 3 posts and watch the youtube video of the play, you will actually see Cotton being grabbed and YES, he was kicking at the guy who grabbed him, not kicking at some innocent player.

Now, I am a football coach, and Cotton needs to control himself. You can see him squirming and kicking a bit during the grap, which is human nature if that is happening, but the "final kick" which drew the flag was out of anger, and he needs to control that.

My question...the whistle had blown 5-10 seconds earlier..refs know what happens "under" the pile, why didn't the ref standing almost on top of the guys "look" or "see" what the aTm player was doing? Don't understand how you miss that. Also, we got called for a late hit (block) early in the game and then in the 3rd qtr, on the shovel pass, that at the end of the play (completely over), an OL came him and blantantly shoved a defender who wasn't going for the tackle. Not a "major" late hit, just saying that if you make the same call in the first qtr, don't be afraid to make the same call in the 3rd !

I do think Bo needs to calm down. I have ALWAYS stuck up for him, but he is wearing me thin. He may want to focus more on preparing a backup qb than crying to officials.

What I dont understand and correct me if Im wrong... But on Cottons and Martins penalty, they called twice. Meaning that they called "Unnesscary Roughness" and then they called "Unsportsmanlike Conduct," at the same time. What I dont understand is how can they give us 2 penalties like that on the same play on the same player and yet the player not be ejected. My understanding is that the 2nd PF on the same play gets a player ejected. In Cottons case I didnt see anything that warranted a 2nd flag and of course we didnt see Martins because ABC prob knew the screw job was on at that point didnt show replay because theirs was no penalty to show.

I dont think I ever seen that in college football game before. To me it was very bizarre.

yeah it was weird, and on the martin one they just said "sideline" which i took to mean it was actually on Bo the second time.

3 were false starts

2 were illegal formations

1 was an intentional grounding call

2 were on Ben Cotton, who was getting raped and reacted in nearly the only way you could expect him to react, but conspiracy or no conspiracy, the reaction gets flagged more often than the initial action

6 were personal fouls or unsportsmanlike, besides Cotton's (1 roughing the passer, 1 on Bo/the sideline, 2 on Eric Martin that were unseen, 2 were late hits, can't remember who)

2 were holding

Look, I think this game was trash, and that better officiating would have resulted in a different outcome, but let's face it, we are an undisciplined football team. Where is this coming from and how do we fix it?

Nice breakdown. I remember seeing at least 2 of the false starts pretty clearly, so to be generous, those were legit.

There was a late hit when a lineman came in for a very, very late block (it looked like it was in the back, too, iirc).

The illegal formations? No idea. I have no idea what was going on with those. The announcer never said, the refs never claimed that there were "too many men in the backfield" or anything like that. I would have liked to have known what the illegal formations were. Did the WR forget to check off and was too far back? I have no idea.

The intentional grounding call-- yeah, it would have been nice to not have had that called, but if it had been an opponent, I would have wanted it called.

So many of the rest of those were bs, especially the ones that were open to the refs' discretion.

Landlord,

To your actual topic- I think the "2 late hits, can't remember who" were Pass Interference calls.

Cotton's penalty unfortunately happens- refs miss the first attack and flag the 2nd. I can't say I would've acted different. The 2nd one was avoidable but I can't help but wonder if the team is reflecting their head coach when they go after the officials. Refs made a bad call, lack of discipline made it worse.

The false starts were to be expected in that environment. I knew we'd have a couple going in.

The illegal formations are completely unacceptable!! WTF!!! Get them lined up right coaches!!

Holding is gonna happen. The fact that only our team holds is a baffling new Big12 phenomena.

The intentional grounding is also a discipline issue. You can't just blindly throw the ball. We're lucky that wasn't picked. We've seen that happen other times this year and it needs to be stopped.

The Osbourn roughing the passer was BS and a game changing call.

The Pass Interference calls were OK I guess. The one on Dennard really was close. The fact that they were both on 3rd down made them hurt worse.

Bo's penalty just shouldn't happen. I can't say I would behave better with that screw job but it shouldn't happen.

Martin's 2 penalties- I don't know? We never got replays. Why? It is hard to believe that after getting suspended that he is out there screwing up on kick coverage twice in one game? Although maybe he really is a physical undisciplined player? The fact that there was no replay helps feed the conspiracy.

SO, yeah, some is discipline. I've thought the offense has been lacking discipline for a while now- fumbles, penalties, dropped passes.

Side note- I am one of the people that mocks the "Bo needs to chill out" threads but last night was over the top. Not as much at the officials but the time he lit up Martinez. I don't get it and it looked bizarre and poor.