My Burning Thoughts

EZ-E

EZ-E, with you on all counts. Especially #6. Good summary.

Any chance you were one of the dozen or so Husker fans who (silently) protested Callahan's departure? Genuine question; not rhetorical.

Not really. I argued not so silently against it, and the circumstances under which it seemed like Bo was coming here, but I never wanted Callahan back over Bo.

I didn't think he should have been fired. I was sad that he was, as I thought he just needed a different DC, and that '07 was a breakdown/collapse of a season. I understand why a HC needs to take a fall if that happens on his watch, but I didn't think he was the root cause of it either. I still don't, but I do think he was in a position to take care of the program better, and didn't. I welcomed Bo with pretty open arms and he has exceeded all my expectations since. Appreciate especially the way he has taken control over the program as a HC. It's a style I appreciate more out of a college HC.

I didn't think Solich should have been fired either...

But for all of Callahan's failings as a head coach, I still respect his contributions on offense a lot. People will point to production and such, but this is basically a philosophical matter, and I recognize it has been a struggle to produce with the kind of guys we have been pulling in. It has always been a solid system and I was afraid that was going to fall to pieces with Callahan's departure. It didn't, really, as thankfully Watson was retained, but what has fallen a lot is the OL, thanks to our new OL coach. Didn't really realize it then, but Callahan was basically the best in the business with regard to the boys in the trenches. Regardless of anything else we have taken an unfortunately huge step back in that department. As well as in the screen pass department, but I'm not really concerned with style of play.

Thanks for responding. Lot's of good points. For all my Callahan-bashing, I actually agree that he is an excellent O-line coach. My objections to Callahan as a HC had more to do with culture and philosophy. I mean, I am a native Californian and came to Nebraska in Fall 2004 and even I felt that Callahan was breaking down much of what made Nebraska, Nebraska. (My first Nebraska game was the game against Northern Illinois. I bought season tickets and sat in the student section alone because I didn't know you could basically sit anywhere you wanted.) Nebraska seems best when it is a hard-nosed team that plays solid defense and isn't afraid to run the ball.

This is why I welcomed Bo with open arms. I knew that his blue-collar mentality and fiery temperment would bring us back to where we needed to be, particularly on defense. My concern is that the best part of Callahan's offense might have actually been Callahan. Retaining Watson and Gilmore and expecting to keep Callahan's offensive production would be a bit like holding on to Saunders and expecting the Blackshirts to continue to dominate. I am also concerned about the idea of using an OC who was hired to run the WCO to lead more of a spread rushing attack.

Bo has not had to deal with an analagous situation to losing our top 2 QBs.

HAHAHAHAHA! Really? So in a defense that is built like an offense (in that it has ONE linebacker that makes ALL the calls), Bo losing his top 2 linebackers is not like losing the top 2 qbs??? Give me a break! Bo did what a good coordinator does. He worked his ass off to teach the scheme to the guy, really coached him up, built his game plan around what his guys could do that week and what they couldn't do. That is what a good coordinator does.

Okay, this is a freaking solid point.

HAHAHAHAHA! Really? So in a defense that is built like an offense (in that it has ONE linebacker that makes ALL the calls), Bo losing his top 2 linebackers is not like losing the top 2 qbs??? Give me a break! Bo did what a good coordinator does. He worked his ass off to teach the scheme to the guy, really coached him up, built his game plan around what his guys could do that week and what they couldn't do. That is what a good coordinator does.

I remember Western ky running all over the defense and David being out of place most of the game. It has taken him a good portion of the year to get in the right spots. He really cost us against Texas. I think David is a great player and I am sure works hard, but not a great example to show how great Bo is. I think David and Martinez are in similar situations. So if you give credit to Bo you have to give credit to Wats.

Anyhow 9-2 playing for potetial conference championship, enjoy the ride

A linebacker does not play the same role as a quarterback, maybe equal to a lineman in protection calls.

The quarterback takes the ball on every single play, and in Nebraska's offense is responsible for a read that determines the success of every play.

I remember Western ky running all over the defense and David being out of place most of the game. It has taken him a good portion of the year to get in the right spots. He really cost us against Texas. I think David is a great player and I am sure works hard, but not a great example to show how great Bo is. I think David and Martinez are in similar situations. So if you give credit to Bo you have to give credit to Wats.

Anyhow 9-2 playing for potetial conference championship, enjoy the ride

Did you forget the "insert sarcasm here" sign? David is quarterbacking a top 10 defense under Bo's guidance. He's doing it with some inexperienced backs behind him, and some inexperienced linemen in front of him. Green has more experience around him, as well as more experience himself. I'd say that pretty well shows Bo's ability to coach compared to Watson's.

A linebacker does not play the same role as a quarterback, maybe equal to a lineman in protection calls.

The quarterback takes the ball on every single play, and in Nebraska's offense is responsible for a read that determines the success of every play.

That's Watson's problem. Cody is ineffective at the zone read, yet the OC continues to try to run it. He isn't making Cody any better at it, so either try a different method of coaching, or don't run it. Watson prides himself on being multiple, so he should have plenty of options other than zone read. Early this season, Bo talked about David missing calls, so they refined it, ironed out the kinks, and made progress. With Wats, we watch the same thing every week. Cody failing to run the zone read.

That's Watson's problem. Cody is ineffective at the zone read, yet the OC continues to try to run it. He isn't making Cody any better at it, so either try a different method of coaching, or don't run it. Watson prides himself on being multiple, so he should have plenty of options other than zone read. Early this season, Bo talked about David missing calls, so they refined it, ironed out the kinks, and made progress. With Wats, we watch the same thing every week. Cody failing to run the zone read.

At least 90% of the plays that you think are zone reads with Cody are actually pre-called plays in the huddle as far as keep\give.

Give Cody a lead blocker on a draw, run a power play for Cody with a lead blocker and get him on the edge and he'd look better than he does now. The kid is very fast when he decides to run and goes, it may not mean much in pads, but he is faster than Martinez to 10 yards (Martinez killed him in the agility run though).

Cody just doesn't step on the field with confidence and it's unfortunate.

• Fire 1

EZ-E.....are you serious about #6??

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I don't know if i'd call the difference massive, a decent difference, sure, massive? No

Scoring Offense- 40th average

2010- 28th

2009- 75th

2008- 17th

Scoring Defense- 28th average

2010- 3rd

2009- 1st

2008- 80th

I was referring to this and last year.

Total offense

2010 - 32

2009 - 99

Total defense

2010 - 9

2009 - 7

Given the utter free fall our offense is in currently and has been steadily getting worse since the injury to Tmart (Iowa St, Kansas & TAM) it would not be surprising in the least to see the current "respectable" 32nd in Total Offense fall a long ways by season end.

Tmart is 99% of the offensive improvement from last year and with him hurt.....it's 2009 once again.

Exactly that, the injury to Martinez. Before Martinez was injured we averaged 38 points and 459 yards of offense. The 3 halfs of football we'd played prior to Martinez saw us score 31, 20 and 24 points, we had Martinez throw for 323 yards and 5 TD's and run for 112 against OSU, Helu ripped off 307 yards against Mizzou.

Shawn Watson and this team were setting records for offensive output by individuals at a school with a great history on the offensive side of the ball. Then Martinez got hurt, Bo told Watson to strip down the offense again and here we are.

Watson is doing what Bo tells him to do, Bo doesn't have much faith in Cody, despite Watson having plenty. If you don't think we're in vanilla mode again, I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't think we're in the inept mode "again", I don't know what to tell you.

At least 90% of the plays that you think are zone reads with Cody are actually pre-called plays in the huddle as far as keep\give.

Give Cody a lead blocker on a draw, run a power play for Cody with a lead blocker and get him on the edge and he'd look better than he does now. The kid is very fast when he decides to run and goes, it may not mean much in pads, but he is faster than Martinez to 10 yards (Martinez killed him in the agility run though).

Right, I should have said zone runs... I realize they pretty much take the read out of it. See this is my only real problem with Wats, if someone like you is able to say 'give him a lead block and get him to the edge', why is Watson not able to find out what he does well. Maybe it's not what you say, but he can surely find something. As for the confidence thing, I'd like to think that's something a coach can help, but unfortunately a lot of times it isn't.

EZ-E.....are you serious about #6??

The "results" difference between the offense and defense has been MASSIVE the last couple of years. The defensive side amoung the best in the nation....the offensive side amoung the worst.

I don't know if i'd call the difference massive, a decent difference, sure, massive? No

Scoring Offense- 40th average

2010- 28th

2009- 75th

2008- 17th

Scoring Defense- 28th average

2010- 3rd

2009- 1st

2008- 80th

I was referring to this and last year.

Total offense

2010 - 32

2009 - 99

Total defense

2010 - 9

2009 - 7

Given the utter free fall our offense is in currently and has been steadily getting worse since the injury to Tmart (Iowa St, Kansas & TAM) it would not be surprising in the least to see the current "respectable" 32nd in Total Offense fall a long ways by season end.

Tmart is 99% of the offensive improvement from last year and with him hurt.....it's 2009 once again.

Exactly that, the injury to Martinez. Before Martinez was injured we averaged 38 points and 459 yards of offense. The 3 halfs of football we'd played prior to Martinez saw us score 31, 20 and 24 points, we had Martinez throw for 323 yards and 5 TD's and run for 112 against OSU, Helu ripped off 307 yards against Mizzou.

Shawn Watson and this team were setting records for offensive output by individuals at a school with a great history on the offensive side of the ball. Then Martinez got hurt, Bo told Watson to strip down the offense again and here we are.

Watson is doing what Bo tells him to do, Bo doesn't have much faith in Cody, despite Watson having plenty. If you don't think we're in vanilla mode again, I don't know what to tell you.

If you don't think we're in the inept mode "again", I don't know what to tell you.

I consider vanilla and inept to go hand in hand. Bo knows that we can win a lot of games between our defense and Alex Henery.

I believe this was stated earlier this year but with Coach Pelini being a defensive minded coach his first priority was to establishing the defense and initially made the recruiting emphasis to fill that need. Now the D is established the emphasis can switch over to building a better offense and I think the recruits that have committed so far have an excellent chance to do that.

I love this idea, a lead blocker on a power play, but why not run it with one our two very good RB's behind our very good blocking FB.

Thats interesting that you say Greene is faster than Martinez to 10 yds (I'm assuming thats from preseason testing)because Green looks really, really slow getting started, and Martinez's acceleration is what is most impressive to me. I agree 100%, Green needs confidence, how about some play action, let him throw when maybe the defense isn't looking for pass. Just my thoughts

I wanna see Green at TE or WR next year if we have decent depth behind martinez. I still think with his athleticism, you try to get him on the field somehow, and he could be a nice big target for Martinez. Imagine a guy with Green's size running go routes and getting into a jump ball contest with a 5'11" cornerback.

I love this idea, a lead blocker on a power play, but why not run it with one our two very good RB's behind our very good blocking FB.

Thats interesting that you say Greene is faster than Martinez to 10 yds (I'm assuming thats from preseason testing)because Green looks really, really slow getting started, and Martinez's acceleration is what is most impressive to me. I agree 100%, Green needs confidence, how about some play action, let him throw when maybe the defense isn't looking for pass. Just my thoughts

It is from preseason testing, Green is the fastest quarterback ever tested at NU in the 10 yard dash. There's a "record" area in the weight room with all of the records and a picture of the player next to it, Cody owns it for the 10 yard dash, Mickey Joseph for the 40 and Taylor for the Agility run.