Injury at Practice today...

Also confirmed by Niles' family and high school coach last night. Hate to hear that he's not going to be able to play on senior day.

Additionally, this story wasn't on pedia, max or RSS last night before the OP. So once again, huskerboard breaks the news before all of them. Unfortunately it can't always be good news...

It got deleted off RSS.

Pelini statement posted by NET's Big Red Wrapup:

“Niles Paul suffered a foot injury in Tuesday afternoon’s practice. He will be out for Friday’s game against Colorado. His status for the ...rest of the season will be evaluated.”

It's a huge blow. I'm going to believe the team will come together as never before through this adversity. The fans in the stadium need to be loud through the game even if it's not going very well.

Nebraska head coach Bo Pelini confirmed Wednesday that senior Niles Paul, the team's leading receiver, suffered a foot injury in Tuesday's practice and will be sidelined Friday against Colorado.

“His status for the rest of the season will be evaluated," Pelini said in the statement.

Paul, a 6-foot-1, 220-pound Omaha native, has 39 catches for 516 yards and a touchdown this season. He also has been the team's top return man, with an 11.4-yard average on 14 punt returns and a 25.2-yard average on 16 kickoff returns.

Junior Curenski Gilleylen and sophomores Tim Marlowe and Khiry Cooper are listed behind Paul at the "Z" wideout position on the depth chart

Link

Received at 9:46 am on Wednesday:

Statement from Coach Pelini on senior receiver Niles Paul:

“Niles Paul suffered a foot injury in Tuesday afternoon’s practice. He will be out for Friday’s game against Colorado. His status for the rest of the season will be evaluated.”

Keith Mann

Media Relations Director

University of Nebraska

One Memorial Stadium

Lincoln, NE 68588-0123

kmann@huskers.com

402-472-0237

This hurts. Too bad for Niles...what a star-crossed career he's had here.

This is in NO WAY an attempt to slam Niles, but honestly, I'd be more upset if I woke up this morning and found out that Lavonte David or Prince had broken their foot and was done.

All the best to Paul, (if he truly is done for the year and based on what some around here have said, some who I've learned to take seriously, then he IS done) and here's to hoping he can get healthy in time to perform at 100% for his combine and other NFL scouting deals before the draft. I will always wish Niles nothing but the best, even though he drove me insane sometimes.

We still have our big play receiver. (Kyler Reed usurped that role from Niles this year.)

We still have the guy who I think (and who cares what I think anyway? :D) is out best possession WR in Brandon Kinnie.

Time to step up, Mr. McNeill. Quincy...guess it isn't a crime against humanity that you didn't don a redshirt this year after all.

Very unhappy about this for Niles. Absolutely the wrong way for his career to end, and very sad. I've been critical of him, I've praised him, I've loved him and been terribly frustrated by him, but bottom line is, he's a Husker through and through, and you bet your ass I'll be screaming my head off when he's announced Friday.

Keep your head up, Niles. Maybe you can heal fast enough for the Bowl Game, just five weeks away.

The fumble at ISU tool away one of our biggest threats, "Niles on a kick/punt return". While he has made some nice catches his presence lately hasn't been "game changing". Hope the passing game leans on McNeil, Reed and Kinnie trying to make "possession type" catches instead of every play is home run or strike out. Hell maybe fire up a few screen plays to Burkehead or Helu Jr. GBR!!!

Hell maybe fire up a few screen plays to Burkehead or Helu Jr. GBR!!!

Screen pass? What's that? You mean you can throw the ball to your running back? That's a terrible idea! All that would do would be to get the ball into the hands of two of your best playmakers in space with blockers in front of them. I can't imagine a worse way to try to move the ball.

Nope, I think we should stick with the ol' tried-and-true Zone Read for a short gain, Zone Read for a short gain, Incomplete Pass on third-and-long, Brilliant Punt by Alex Henery. It's what we do best.

• Fire 1

Hell maybe fire up a few screen plays to Burkehead or Helu Jr. GBR!!!

Screen pass? What's that? You mean you can throw the ball to your running back? That's a terrible idea! All that would do would be to get the ball into the hands of two of your best playmakers in space with blockers in front of them. I can't imagine a worse way to try to move the ball.

Nope, I think we should stick with the ol' tried-and-true Zone Read for a short gain, Zone Read for a short gain, Incomplete Pass on third-and-long, Brilliant Punt by Alex Henery. It's what we do best.

That would be funny if it wasn't so horribly accurate knapplc

:bang

I don't like to hear that any player got injured, and it really stinks that he will miss the last regular game of his senior season...however, if I were to look for a bright side....I figure we will have one less turnover and dropped pass. Yes, throw your darts, he has done more harm then good in my opinion.