Injury at Practice today...

This is really the first time in a long time anyone's said anything nice about a screen pass here.

But if I'm not mistaken, we've utilized our RBs or at least Rex quite a bit in the passing game this year. Saw some shovel passes last game, and he's had some long completions too.

Your mistaken, if there is one thing we SHOULD of done is throw more to the backs. Nice safe short throw, but we usually throw a 15 yd pass.

I wonder what the breakdown is on the year for short/middle/deep passes.

We HAVE thrown some short passes to the RBs. Maybe not enough in anyone's eyes but we don't throw enough passes, period (what is it - 30% of our plays?)...additionally, it's not really determined by the playcall either as there are a lot of times when the short RB or TE is open for a checkdown but we don't get it to them. Failure of the QB to take an open, safe checkdown has been something I've noticed quite a few times this year, and with our low quantity of pass plays in general, that could swing things considerably. Shrug.

Speaking of passes to RBs, what happened to that sweet wheel route play we ran vs Texas? That was a designed pass to Rex, and even though he dropped a perfect pass (sorry to bring that up again), it was a beautifully drawn up play and definitely something we should be using.

Hell maybe fire up a few screen plays to Burkehead or Helu Jr. GBR!!!

Screen pass? What's that? You mean you can throw the ball to your running back? That's a terrible idea! All that would do would be to get the ball into the hands of two of your best playmakers in space with blockers in front of them. I can't imagine a worse way to try to move the ball.

Nope, I think we should stick with the ol' tried-and-true Zone Read for a short gain, Zone Read for a short gain, Incomplete Pass on third-and-long, Brilliant Punt by Alex Henery. It's what we do best.

We'll throw in a half dozen horizontal passes too. We'll never be stopped.

Speaking of passes to RBs, what happened to that sweet wheel route play we ran vs Texas? That was a designed pass to Rex, and even though he dropped a perfect pass (sorry to bring that up again), it was a beautifully drawn up play and definitely something we should be using.

I believe we ran it against A&M but didn't throw the ball his way. I could be wrong though.

How about the pass to the RB at 5-7 yds downfield, in the "hook zone"... We killed CU with that play when Ross played, and MANY, MANY times this year, Helu has snuck through the LOS and has been open, only to have the QB pick a different target.

Move the chains !!!

Having Nile out is killer....anyone who chooses to only point out the negatives about Niles is obviously a true "arm-chair" wannabe. Yes, we have all been extremely frustrated with his decisions at times, dropped passes at times, and fumbles....BUT, IF , people really watched and understood the game, Niles brings so much more to this team than some think.

He IS the main LEADER of the team. He also may be the best blocking Wide Out that we have had in many years. The guy makes things happen in the running game. Furthermore, he is one of a few that can make something happen out of nothing. Without Niles, we struggle more at CU last yr, we DON'T beat Mizzou last yr., and AFTER watching all of the WR this year, he isn't the only one who drops passes or fumbles.

Head up Niles, MOST of Husker Nation has your back. Hopefully he will heal by bowl time.

Head up Niles, MOST of Husker Nation has your back. Hopefully he will heal by bowl time.

I would even say the vast, vast majority of us have his back. The problem is that some jackballs went WAY over the top when they ripped on him, so much so that even legitimate discussions of his shortcomings raise hackles. These idiots became their own worst enemies by so maliciously harassing Niles - a guy who could use some serious constructive criticism suddenly becomes nearly untouchable because of outrageous nonsense. So it goes.

I have seen a few post with people celebrating the fact this kid is hurt. This is pretty low. Regardless to what you may think of him, he did what he needed to do to be on the field and play his butt off. He will now miss his last opportunity to run out unto the field at home for his career. He is our leading receiver, punt returner, and kick off returner. Nile Paul has made mistakes in life as well as on the field but he is injured and that is defiantly not a joke. I heard the same thing on 1110 KFAB on Saturday night from Husker fans calling Taylor soft because of injury and saying he has a paper machete ankle. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but this kind of stuff stinks.