Fire Shawn Watson

Kruzu

for this past game against to colorado:

we had more rushing yards than colorado's offense had yards approx 264 to 261

cody green isn't a bust or a true third string qb

he can be good if we put trust in him and let him be comfortable with the first string

he was at time a favorite in the preseason qb race and was until his concussion the second string qb

i still don't like watson

where was dan beebe?

the refs were clearly better most likely due to it not being the same crew that did last week, texas, and iowa st

rumor is that crew is the one that will be choosed for the b12 champ game

I've come to the realization that there is nothing Watson can do to win over the fan base. I can only think of one game (texas tech 09) where a game plan was not drawn up that put the team in a position to win. However the people on this board seem to think that it is the OC's job to catch the ball, not fumble, or to magicaly heal injured players. Look at what happned to Bama's offnese today when they went down to their back up qb. We are on our third string and people act like that should not impact an offense in any way. What is hard to understand that the offense has looked pretty good for about 8 out of 12 games, and the games when it has looked poor have been due to exicution not play calling or game plan.

Couldnt agree more. A lot of people think they are so much smarter than the coaches and I wonder why they are not being activly recruited by every athletic director in the country. I mean with their great football knowledge and all they should be pacing the sidelines and our coaches posting on HB and other forums. It took T.O a few years longer than 3 to get his team in a position to win a National Championship, I would say as long as we are continuing to improve why throw a wrench in the system and start replacing coaches everytime WE think we could do better. Enjoy the win and lets get ready for the CCG and a win as well.

GBR GBR GBR

:bonesflag::throwdabones1::bonesflag:

Is he allowed to hold the coaches under him accountable? :facepalm:

Not sure what you're getting at here... If you mean he can't fire them, I guess I would assume he can't directly fire them, but I have a strong feeling if he told Bo "X coach isn't getting it done for me" Bo would take his word on it and make the changes necessary. Accountability doesn't necessarily mean firing somebody, and I'm not on the staff so all I can do is speculate.

I think it's pretty obvious what i'm getting at, Watson has had issues with a few of his coaches, and nothing was done.

For the ones that want Watson gone, who would you like to see as the new OC and explain why?

Ya I want Watson gone and I'd rather have Greg Knapp.

Greg Knapp: Current qb coach for the Houston Texans, has been offensive coordinator for the Falcons, Seahawks, and 49ers. He is the one responsible for developing Matt Schaub into a starting qb in the NFL and he likes a run focused west coast offensive, which means Nebraska wouldn't have a giant shift in a playbook and we would still stay dedicated to the run. He recieved oc of the year at Atlanta and in the same year they averaged the most rushing yds a game in the NFL. He also handled Vick and was his mentor his first few years when he had the greatest growth in his pre-jail period. So he can handle big attitude players and he can develop players too. He knows how to run an offense in a way Nebraska fans would enjoy. Oh and the running back for the Texans this year just happens to be leading the NFL. As only being a qb coach in the NFL he might actually look to join prestigious Nebraska as the head man of the offense.

A NFL coordinator with little college experience? Sacremento State doesn't count, what has this guy proven? Great idea, lets take a piss on the players we've recruited into the system and have 3-4 more years of down offense.

yes those under him should be held accountable, so we need to take a serious look through the coaches this off-season and see who's doing their job to an acceptable standard for Nebraska and it's tradition and take action after that

Should be is fine, I asked if Watson was allowed to hold them accountable personally. Your answer had nothing to do with what I asked.

KU put 42 points on these clowns in the 4th quarter. While I thought today's game was fan-freaking-tastick (that running game was nice to watch), it doesn't erase everything else or the fact that KU scored just shy of our total in one quarter of play.

and we played it safe in the 4th quarter, we could have continuted to run burkhead and helu and probably put up another 2-3 touchdowns.

The game plan today further proves the point changes need to be made. The Oline struggled with false starts....at home....agian. This is unacceptable. Watson finally put together a game plan that was half way decent but only after a collossal melt down last week. We let Rex throw twice this week agianst an inferior opponent, yet couldnt see that we needed a spark like that last week. Its glaring decisions like this that come a week to late that warrants a change. Its unacceptable that they waited an entire year to let Rex throw the ball and then do it in a game that we obviously had control of from the first snap.

Also, notice we didnt miss Niles Paul at all today there are other guys that may not have the speed Niles has but have the ability to catch and be responsible that wont cost you possessions. The decision to not sit Niles at other points in the year shows there is some sort of favoritism going on there, especially when other players arent warranted the same benefit.

I say we start with Gilmore and Cotton. Put Watson on notice that we will make changes if things dont get better.

Not sure what you're getting at here... If you mean he can't fire them, I guess I would assume he can't directly fire them, but I have a strong feeling if he told Bo "X coach isn't getting it done for me" Bo would take his word on it and make the changes necessary. Accountability doesn't necessarily mean firing somebody, and I'm not on the staff so all I can do is speculate.

I think it's pretty obvious what i'm getting at, Watson has had issues with a few of his coaches, and nothing was done.

For the ones that want Watson gone, who would you like to see as the new OC and explain why?

Greg Knapp: Current qb coach for the Houston Texans, has been offensive coordinator for the Falcons, Seahawks, and 49ers. He is the one responsible for developing Matt Schaub into a starting qb in the NFL and he likes a run focused west coast offensive, which means Nebraska wouldn't have a giant shift in a playbook and we would still stay dedicated to the run. He recieved oc of the year at Atlanta and in the same year they averaged the most rushing yds a game in the NFL. He also handled Vick and was his mentor his first few years when he had the greatest growth in his pre-jail period. So he can handle big attitude players and he can develop players too. He knows how to run an offense in a way Nebraska fans would enjoy. Oh and the running back for the Texans this year just happens to be leading the NFL. As only being a qb coach in the NFL he might actually look to join prestigious Nebraska as the head man of the offense.

A NFL coordinator with little college experience? Sacremento State doesn't count, what has this guy proven? Great idea, lets take a piss on the players we've recruited into the system and have 3-4 more years of down offense.

yes those under him should be held accountable, so we need to take a serious look through the coaches this off-season and see who's doing their job to an acceptable standard for Nebraska and it's tradition and take action after that

Should be is fine, I asked if Watson was allowed to hold them accountable personally. Your answer had nothing to do with what I asked.

1.What were we thinking with Watson or Callahan then? What had Watson done at Colorado before came here? Lead a decent at best Colorado team? He was just Barnett's coach and where is Gary Barnett now? Then we hired Callahan as coach and he had only been an o-line coach at the college level so what experience did he really have in leading a college football team? Greg Knapp can develop players unlike Callahan who can only inherit them or recruit. Oh and Greg Knapp runs the West Coast offensive like we run RIGHT NOW so we're not throwing out the offense just getting someone in who can help players develop and understand the system.

2.Well obviously people didn't know what you were asking since multiple people were confused with what you meant. Don't assume we know what you mean, give clear questions and what type of answers your looking for but if you don't want to do that, then don't complain about people's answers just because they percieved something different than you.

Sorry, it wasn't obvious. Not everybody knows the entire history of Watson, and I had no clue he had a problem with coaches under him.

1.What were we thinking with Watson or Callahan then? What had Watson done at Colorado before came here? Lead a decent at best Colorado team? He was just Barnett's coach and where is Gary Barnett now? Then we hired Callahan as coach and he had only been an o-line coach at the college level so what experience did he really have in leading a college football team? Greg Knapp can develop players unlike Callahan who can only inherit them or recruit. Oh and Greg Knapp runs the West Coast offensive like we run RIGHT NOW so we're not throwing out the offense just getting someone in who can help players develop and understand the system.

2.Well obviously people didn't know what you were asking since multiple people were confused with what you meant. Don't assume we know what you mean, give clear questions and what type of answers your looking for but if you don't want to do that, then don't complain about people's answers just because they percieved something different than you.

Callahan was in hindsight, a bad move, obviously. Watson was evaluated by Osborne and asked to stay to provide continuity, our offense carried a mediocre defense in 2008 with Watson at the helm. You claim Watson "can't develop" players, he gets no credit for Martinez and the offense in the first 8 games of the year?

In college you have to be able to recruit talent, and then develop it, a little different than the NFL. If Watson does such a poor job of developing players and helping them understand the system, then why did Burkhead make an immediate impact in our offense? Why was Martinez able to step into the fold with very little experience and become what he was? How did we plug in a freshmen at LT and a first time starter at C and have one of the top rushing attacks in the nation until Martinez went down?

As far as part 2, :facepalm:

[

Callahan was in hindsight, a bad move, obviously. Watson was evaluated by Osborne and asked to stay to provide continuity, our offense carried a mediocre defense in 2008 with Watson at the helm. You claim Watson "can't develop" players, he gets no credit for Martinez and the offense in the first 8 games of the year?

In college you have to be able to recruit talent, and then develop it, a little different than the NFL. If Watson does such a poor job of developing players and helping them understand the system, then why did Burkhead make an immediate impact in our offense? Why was Martinez able to step into the fold with very little experience and become what he was? How did we plug in a freshmen at LT and a first time starter at C and have one of the top rushing attacks in the nation until Martinez went down?

This is actually one of my problems in this debate. Why are we giving so much credit to Watson for Martinez? I mean, if Martinez was a senior, and came in as a 3 star athlete when he was a freshman, then I could see how we'd be hailing Watson as a genius when it comes to player development. But maybe Martinez is pretty much the same Martinez that first arrived. Same thing with Burkhead, these guys contribute right away because they're ready to contribute right away.

If you wanna argue that Watson develops guys, fine, but find somebody who has actually developed under his direction for 4 years. Martinez, Burkhead, those guys aren't examples of that - they're examples of succeeding the minute they stepped on the field as freshmen. Find me a guy that didn't succeed the moment he arrived on campus and turned into a baller thanks to the the direction of our staff. That's what the Pelini's have done on the defensive side of the ball so effectively.

• Fire 1

[

This is actually one of my problems in this debate. Why are we giving so much credit to Watson for Martinez? I mean, if Martinez was a senior, and came in as a 3 star athlete when he was a freshman, then I could see how we'd be hailing Watson as a genius when it comes to player development. But maybe Martinez is pretty much the same Martinez that first arrived. Same thing with Burkhead, these guys contribute right away because they're ready to contribute right away.

If you wanna argue that Watson develops guys, fine, but find somebody who has actually developed under his direction for 4 years. Martinez, Burkhead, those guys aren't examples of that - they're examples of succeeding the minute they stepped on the field as freshmen. Find me a guy that didn't succeed the moment he arrived on campus and turned into a baller thanks to the the direction of our staff. That's what the Pelini's have done on the defensive side of the ball so effectively.

I think you can see Taylor's improvemnet in his passing game he has gotten a lot better over the coarse of this year, a guy he has worked with for all 4 years would be Helu. Ricky Henry is another guy who has made huge strides, I realize he still makes mental errors but his physical play has improved a lot.

I really, really hate to say this but Dr. Tom just isn't the same as he use to be. The 2008 offense really wasn't that good at all. Against good defenses where were they? Martinez is a natural talent, outside of his speed and elusiveness he has been an ok qb. There has not been the amount of development anyone should except considering the overwhelming amount of time Watson spends on him. Also a good reason where Cody Green hasn't looked good this year.

Burkhead has an amazing line to be behind and has always been a great running back. What has Martinez really become? Alot of insiders say he won't even be the starter next year. What has the offensive been like against a good defense? Oh what fresmen is playing LT? And obviously you don't realize we get linemen that are top 5 in their postiion every year. You realized that Caputo has been playing since his redshirt freshman year and that he is has always been really good.

Ya facepalm yourself for thinking that everyone should see things as you do. Really where are you getting your insight? The internet? Since you can trust everything you read on it...

[

I think you can see Taylor's improvemnet in his passing game he has gotten a lot better over the coarse of this year, a guy he has worked with for all 4 years would be Helu. Ricky Henry is another guy who has made huge strides, I realize he still makes mental errors but his physical play has improved a lot.

Taylor has improved, but any freshman is going to improve just getting playing time. If Watson sticks around and we see Martinez turn into some NFL prospect or something, I'll buy into this storyline, but not yet.

Helu is a more interesting argument. I don't know if you credit Watson or Beck, probably both a little bit, but more than anyone else with Helu I'd credit James Dobson.

The entire offensive line is a case of improving and stagnating at the same time. They've gotten stronger, more athletic, and they execute better when they execute, but they still blow up our drives with missed assignments and penalties way, way too often, Rickey Henry included.

Overall, you haven't seen the development from anybody on the offensive side of the ball that we've seen on the defensive side of the ball. We've seen dramatic improvement from the defense throughout the season in every year of the Pelini era, and the same simply cannot be said for the offense.

I really, really hate to say this but Dr. Tom just isn't the same as he use to be. 1. The 2008 offense really wasn't that good at all. Against good defenses where were they? Martinez is a natural talent, outside of his speed and elusiveness he has been an ok qb. There has not been the amount of development anyone should except considering the overwhelming amount of time Watson spends on him. Also a good reason where Cody Green hasn't looked good this year.

Burkhead has an amazing line to be behind and has always been a great running back. What has Martinez really become? Alot of insiders say he won't even be the starter next year. What has the offensive been like against a good defense? Oh what fresmen is playing LT? And obviously you don't realize we get linemen that are top 5 in their postiion every year. You realized that Caputo has been playing since his redshirt freshman year and that he is has always been really good.

Ya facepalm yourself for thinking that everyone should see things as you do. Really where are you getting your insight? The internet? Since you can trust everything you read on it...

1. in 2008 Clemson had a very good defense and we moved the ball very well aginst them, we had a top 10 scoring offense in the nation.

2. what insiders cite your sources or GTFO. T-Mart has been nothing short of the best freshman ever to play at NU, and unless you have a link you are making a crazy statement.