Big 12 Division Champ Tiebreaker Rules

This is from the Oklahoman (newspaper):

Go back and look at this segment of the rule: “unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game.”

Now, read it again.

The letter of that law does not compute to what was intended. That rule states that if two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of each other, the head-to-head result of the top two-ranked tied teams will determine the champion. That rule DOES NOT STATE that the two teams within one spot of each other have to be the top two-ranked teams.

Big 12 director of communications Bob Burda said the tiebreaker language is accurate but said “the reference to the teams being within one place of each other only applies to the highest and second-highest ranked (Big 12) teams in the final BCS Standings.”

Well, I think Burda is right. But that’s not what the rule says. And what is A&M supposed to do if this scenario comes to pass? Let it ride?

If I’m OU athletic director Joe Castiglione, I’m a little worried. This whole BCS tiebreaker thing has been one pain in the butt for three years, for no good reason. The BCS standings are a wonderful tiebreaker when results can’t pick a winner. So because of Texas animosity and a lack of attention to detail, we’ve got a potential mess on our hands.

:laughpound Anything that has BCS attached to its name cannot be considered "wonderful". And Husker Runner is exactly right, the wording can be challenged, but I doubt anything will be done. In the Big XII, things seem to be, "Do what we mean, not what we say."

if OU is 9, TAM is 14, and OSU is 15, then OU is going to the CCG.

TAM needs to be ranked within one spot of OU, not OSU

Barring something strange happening in the polls, OU is going to the CCG

According the exact wording of the rules, TAMU should go in that case. It's just very poorly worded. Yes, the intent, as the OP stated, is clearly to only apply this if the top two are within one spot, but they didn't actually state that in the rule.

If it turns out like this (I doubt it will anyway... OSU should still be comfortably ahead of TAMU), and TAMU got lawyers involved (which I doubt they would be big enough dicks to do) it could get messy.

I think the OP was basically just pointing out that whoever wrote the rule wasn't paying enough attention.

How do you figure??? Ou is the highest ranked team in the poll that you are predicting, not OSU..

if OU is 9, TAM is 14, and OSU is 15, then OU is going to the CCG.

TAM needs to be ranked within one spot of OU, not OSU

Barring something strange happening in the polls, OU is going to the CCG

According the exact wording of the rules, TAMU should go in that case. It's just very poorly worded. Yes, the intent, as the OP stated, is clearly to only apply this if the top two are within one spot, but they didn't actually state that in the rule.

If it turns out like this (I doubt it will anyway... OSU should still be comfortably ahead of TAMU), and TAMU got lawyers involved (which I doubt they would be big enough dicks to do) it could get messy.

I think the OP was basically just pointing out that whoever wrote the rule wasn't paying enough attention.

How do you figure??? Ou is the highest ranked team in the poll that you are predicting, not OSU..

Pretty thoroughly explained by the OP.

"5. The highest ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series poll following the completion of Big 12 regular season conference play shall be the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game, unless two of the tied teams are ranked within one spot of the other in the BCS poll. In this case, the head-to-head results of the top two ranked tied teams shall determine the representative in the Big 12 Championship Game. "

It doesn't specify that the two teams ranked within one spot must be the top two of the three. That's why this thread exists. So if TAMU was 14 and OSU 15 (obviously won't happen at this point) that would satisfy the IF clause, meaning it goes to the top two ranked tied teams (which would be OU and TAMU) and the winner of that head-to-head (TAMU) would be the representative.