College-Aged board members

What kind of money are you looking to spend, krc1995?

$300

I bought her a laptop last year, although I think the IPad looks so cool, i'm not really thinking of spending that much. I am thinking of a $300 gift card to bestbuy so she can buy a new tv. She only has a 13 inch right now.

Not sure about everyone else, but I did not watch a ton of TV at all. Always better things to do, and for my TV fix there is Hulu, or all the other websites that show TV shows online for free after a small delay. Watching on the computer is more convenient anyway.

Have you considered a Kindle? (or equivalent, I haven't investigated the differences much). Could be a very nice present. In lieu of an iPad, an iPod Touch perhaps, if she doesn't have something like that. Another electronics option is the Flip Camcorder.

If she likes to read, then I agree whole-heartedly with this. Saves a ton of money if you buy books, and is just a really nice, really neat thing to have.

What are you hoping to get for x-mas? My daughter is a freshman at UNO, lives in a "dorm" roon on campus and pretty much doesn't want or need much. I always pride myself on getting her really good gifts that are practical, but also desired. This year I am stumped. I realized that she is a girl and most of you are probably male, but what do you want this x-mas? I am down to gas and food gift cards, but that seems so unfun.

Weird, I'm in your daughter's class at UNO. That feels cool.

Anyway, in lieu of getting a TV, if she wants something like that, I highly recommend finding a projector for here. Me and my buddies have one in our dorm, and it is really sweet... somewhat inexpensive compared to a TV, too. I know there was a Black Friday deal for one for $58. Much much cheaper than a new TV... although keep in mind you'll have to buy a replacement lamp for it eventually. And you'd need a VCR or something in order to plug the coaxel cable into the wall, but one of those shouldn't be too hard to wrangle up.

How about the 1995 championship season on DVD? ANYBODY would want that. I have it.. chuckleshuffle

I like the cell phone and camera ideas. Girls take a lot of pictures..so a new camera might be nice.

Kindle is a great idea if she likes to read a lot.

And since she is a freshman, the four-lokos idea is a bad one. That said, I'll have one in her honor tomorrow.

How about the 1995 championship season on DVD? ANYBODY would want that. I have it.. chuckleshuffle

I like the cell phone and camera ideas. Girls take a lot of pictures..so a new camera might be nice.

Kindle is a great idea if she likes to read a lot.

And since she is a freshman, the four-lokos idea is a bad one. That said, I'll have one in her honor tomorrow.

Fixed it for ya :thumbs

• Fire 1

I have thought about a kindle, but it seems that this might be expensive in the long run- as in not encouraging her to go the library.

Also, I have no idea what four-lokos is? Maybe I should get her a gift card to Wicked Smoke. j/k

Haha nice idea.

A four-loko is an energy/alcoholic drink, with the alcohol content equivalent of about six beers in a can the size of a large red bull can (no joke). They were recently required to remove the caffeine from the drink and many states are actually banning the drink, because people will drink an entire can and then move on to a second one. Before they know it, they're p1ss drunk. They're also something like $2.50 a can.

She's obviously underage so it was a joke, more or less. :lol:

What are you hoping to get for x-mas? My daughter is a freshman at UNO, lives in a "dorm" roon on campus and pretty much doesn't want or need much. I always pride myself on getting her really good gifts that are practical, but also desired. This year I am stumped. I realized that she is a girl and most of you are probably male, but what do you want this x-mas? I am down to gas and food gift cards, but that seems so unfun.

iPad...they're putting textbooks on them these days...practical and fun.

Last year I was a graduate teaching assistant at UNO and I know that at least the communication school is making a big move to e-textbooks (don't get me started on wether or not I think it is a good idea). So the ipad wouldn't be terrible, just make sure you don't skimp and get the one with complete internet connectivity.

I have no idea how I thouught of another gift idea for your daughter when trying to get to sleep last night... but..here it is... I guess I was thinking of my grandma who passed away years ago and she would do this every year for Xmas. The ideas that everyone has replied to are great ideas:) I know that a popocorn popper wouldn't be the main gift...but...just something to add on the gifts you get her. Remember that the best present she has though.is your love for each other:) Now to get to my idea...my grandma used to have presents for each of her grandkids and our parents etc...then after all the presents were open, she would wrap necessaies seperately and disguise the presents in paper bags or whatever so we couldn't see what they were. Everyone would take a turn picking out a bag and when the bags were all distributed...we would have a swap. Whoever didn't like what they got in the bag they picked..they could try and bribe a family member on something they got that they wanted. So here is my idea....how about picking out stuff that she likes and can use and wrap each item in paper bags or whatever you choose and put them in a big box. Ideas are up to you..but..here are some ideas that i thought of for her that she could use.

Disposable Razor Blades, Her Favorite Candy, Bags Of Her Favoite Chips, The Deoderant Brand She Uses, Toothpaste, A New Toothbrush, Ink Pens, Notebooks, Alarm Clock, Any Kind Of College Supplies She Uses Alot, A Phone Calling Card To Call You, Shampoo-(The Brand She Uses and Rinse), etc. Am sure you get the idea what I mean. Hope this helps you:) Good Luck:) Oh one more thing....I think it would be nice to get her a teddy bear..she is going to miss you and if you get her one...she can have it on her bed when she goes to sleep and it would be a way of her to think that you are close to her. No girl is never to old to have a Teddy Bear..I love them and I have a few of them myself:)

I just thought of another gift..if she drinks coffee or cappucino...get her a small coffee maker to put in her room with coffee filters, sugar, cream and a coffee mug...maybe you could find a coffee mug that has her college name on it or something that she likes..or maybe you could get her a mug that says "dad" on it..now that would be special. When she drank her cup of coffee in the morning..you would be right there by her:):)

I have no idea how I thouught of another gift idea for your daughter when trying to get to sleep last night... but..here it is... I guess I was thinking of my grandma who passed away years ago and she would do this every year for Xmas. The ideas that everyone has replied to are great ideas:) I know that a popocorn popper wouldn't be the main gift...but...just something to add on the gifts you get her. Remember that the best present she has though.is your love for each other:) Now to get to my idea...my grandma used to have presents for each of her grandkids and our parents etc...then after all the presents were open, she would wrap necessaies seperately and disguise the presents in paper bags or whatever so we couldn't see what they were. Everyone would take a turn picking out a bag and when the bags were all distributed...we would have a swap. Whoever didn't like what they got in the bag they picked..they could try and bribe a family member on something they got that they wanted. So here is my idea....how about picking out stuff that she likes and can use and wrap each item in paper bags or whatever you choose and put them in a big box. Ideas are up to you..but..here are some ideas that i thought of for her that she could use.

Disposable Razor Blades, Her Favorite Candy, Bags Of Her Favoite Chips, The Deoderant Brand She Uses, Toothpaste, A New Toothbrush, Ink Pens, Notebooks, Alarm Clock, Any Kind Of College Supplies She Uses Alot, A Phone Calling Card To Call You, Shampoo-(The Brand She Uses and Rinse), etc. Am sure you get the idea what I mean. Hope this helps you:) Good Luck:) Oh one more thing....I think it would be nice to get her a teddy bear..she is going to miss you and if you get her one...she can have it on her bed when she goes to sleep and it would be a way of her to think that you are close to her. No girl is never to old to have a Teddy Bear..I love them and I have a few of them myself:)

I just thought of another gift..if she drinks coffee or cappucino...get her a small coffee maker to put in her room with coffee filters, sugar, cream and a coffee mug...maybe you could find a coffee mug that has her college name on it or something that she likes..or maybe you could get her a mug that says "dad" on it..now that would be special. When she drank her cup of coffee in the morning..you would be right there by her:):)

Wow- great ideas. I think she really misses her little brother, so the I might have him buy her a teddybear. She is having a difficult time adjusting to college and this gifts are perfect. Thanks