defensive blunder was costly

HANC

I understand that most on the board are focusing on the offense and players/coaches....AND so have I...

BUT... I truly believe that a defensive "non-call" played a MAJOR role in the game. On 3rd and 24, why didn't Carl dial up a blitz of some kind? I am a coach (didn't say good one - ha), and I understand the "cautious" let them catch it underneath with plenty of defenders to tackle theory..

but, in that circumstance, if we bring heat, NO WAY does any WR have time to get more than 10 yds downfield before Jones has to release ball...That leave us 10 yds to make tackle before it gets close enough for Stoops to go for it. Instead, Jones held the ball for almost 6-7 seconds, allowing a deep drag route to open up at 15 yds, and then we didn't tackle.

I really though he should have put someone in Jones' face...He has been know to make HORRIBLE decisions with pressure and he was deep in his own territory..who knows if he makes a poor throw, could be pick.

I understand that most on the board are focusing on the offense and players/coaches....AND so have I...

BUT... I truly believe that a defensive "non-call" played a MAJOR role in the game. On 3rd and 24, why didn't Carl dial up a blitz of some kind? I am a coach (didn't say good one - ha), and I understand the "cautious" let them catch it underneath with plenty of defenders to tackle theory..

but, in that circumstance, if we bring heat, NO WAY does any WR have time to get more than 10 yds downfield before Jones has to release ball...That leave us 10 yds to make tackle before it gets close enough for Stoops to go for it. Instead, Jones held the ball for almost 6-7 seconds, allowing a deep drag route to open up at 15 yds, and then we didn't tackle.

I really though he should have put someone in Jones' face...He has been know to make HORRIBLE decisions with pressure and he was deep in his own territory..who knows if he makes a poor throw, could be pick.

This IMO was the most costly play of the game. No pressure, and then Prince tried to strip the ball instead of make the tackle. The receiver gained an extra five yards while Prince was trying to strip him. If he just makes the tackle, its 4th and 6 compared to 4th and 1. Then they prob. punt. They got their last points on that drive, it was a critical play in the game, critical.

By no means am I putting the game on the defense, and I don't believe I said that... I definitely didn't say anything about the "players" effort... I just said that I think under the cicumstances, if Carl brings the blitz, OU may not have had time to get people down the field and may have been forced to punt instead of going for it, and resulting in fg...

Offense definitely gets most of the blame for the loss...didn't think I was implying anything different

Im not going to put the loss on the d, but that 22/23 yard gain on 3rd down was killer.. I knew if they gained significant yardage, stoops was going to go for it. It seemed we did well when we blitzed the qb, except when we left the rb open out of the backfield. Idk, I figured we could hold them to a gain of 15 or so yards on that play.

For the OP, this was a costly play, and i did disagree with the playcall defensively as well tho i did understand the theory. This is where the classic "chessmatch" between OU coaches and Pelinis came in. OU ran all verticles to clear out all defenders with the second option of maybe catching an open seam while bringing a sharp underneath route that beats any corner with full intention of going for it on 4th down even if it was 4th and 5-10 because of the matchup of our O vs their D.

Love how you are complaining about one of the VERY FEW miss plays by the defense, who let me remind you are the only ones who even gave us a shot at staying in the game, Wow i cannot believe you

Sorry but can you honestly fault the guy? This was the biggest play in the second half. He makes valid points. Maybe bringing pressure isn't the key of the drive, but Prince going on the seven yard piggyback ride trying to strip the ball may be.

Again don't bash the guy for a question, because like I said it was once of the pivotal plays of the game for Booomer. And obviously it led to the points for their victory.

Love how you are complaining about one of the VERY FEW miss plays by the defense, who let me remind you are the only ones who even gave us a shot at staying in the game, Wow i cannot believe you

When that missed play gave them their game winning field goal? There were actually many missed plays the defense could have made. How bout the other two td passes they got? You want us to discuss those? When the play is as costly as this one was, it is going to be talked about, Im sorry if you don't like it.

Blackshirts007

Kind of glad I didn't ask you to believe me... Just trying to point out that although the offense was not productive, that the last I checked it is a team game. Defense did play lights out most of the game.... Once again, I didn't call out the players, just questioning the "non-blitz" on 3rd and 24....You can bet that I am NOT the only one that thinks a blitz call may have been more productive.

Some of you guys need to READ and quit thinking so much. Take out your anger if you want... NO WHERE IN THE OP, did I say the Defense was the reason we lost. Just thought the other 100 topics about the offense said enough.

This play in particular, I am not sure I can criticize the call since I know even less about defensive scheme/calls than I do offense, and I don't know a lot about offense.

Pressure on Landry was on off all game. I think this should never have reached 4th and 1. The fact that it did, I would put a little on Prince not tackling the guy and trying to rip the ball out. When you got a 4th down, just bring the ballcarrier down, dangit. If I remember that was a good 3-4 extra yards, which made a hell of a difference.

Costly plays swing the course of games. We had more than our fair share of them today.

Taylor's fumble. Rex's fumble. Roy's fumble. Taylor's sacks. And the blown plays on D of which there are a few to highlight, this being one of them.

Just talking about the game here and not calling for chance - no need to be really defensive. It is what it is.

Blackshirts007

Kind of glad I didn't ask you to believe me... Just trying to point out that although the offense was not productive, that the last I checked it is a team game. Defense did play lights out most of the game.... Once again, I didn't call out the players, just questioning the "non-blitz" on 3rd and 24....You can bet that I am NOT the only one that thinks a blitz call may have been more productive.

Some of you guys need to READ and quit thinking so much. Take out your anger if you want... NO WHERE IN THE OP, did I say the Defense was the reason we lost. Just thought the other 100 topics about the offense said enough.

HANC,

Wasn't trying to be a D**K. Not cool on my part. The defense didn't play great by any means, but I think they did enough to win the game. I tend to believe Pelini coaches a little bit like the NFL.....Winning by 1 is as good as 50 and who cares how many yards you give up. I don't think he would ever say that, but it does seem that way at times.

Defensively with a 3rd and 24 you wouldn't blitz, because you want that extra defender in the secondary. The non blitz was a good call, a DLine stunt or twist could have been helpful, but I fully agree on not blitzing on that play.. The bigger factor on the play like I, and many others have stated, is the seven yards Prince gave up trying to strip the ball. Those seven yards gave Stoops every reason to go for it on fourth instead of punting, if the tackle was made upon the reception.

im going on a mission.

im going to post this in every thread i can find.

in the second half, our defense came out allowed 6 points while having their backs against a literal wall because of offensive ineptitude. something during halftime defensive strategery meetings must have occurred to allow this to happen. our offense comes out and scores an unbelievable zero. shawn watson is king of halftime adjustments.

you may remember we were leading at halftime. this is obviously a sign of enormous defensive failure.

you may remember our defense gave the ball back to the offense not once, but twice in the final four minutes of the game. this again, is a sign of enormous defensive failure. they should have went ahead and scored for the offense. what in the hell was carl thinking?