defensive blunder was costly

HANC

Yeah, they were on the field the whole freaking game. How did the D crap three field goal opportunities down their leg.???..oh wait, I don't agree.

The defense wasn't on the field the whole freaking game! TOP OU 28:00 NU 32:00. If you're going to make an excuse for the defense, and I don't think you need to, it should at least be supported by the game stats.

I think not blitzing on the 3rd and 24 was a HUGE mistake. I said so in another thread and got blasted for it.

The D played well against an offensive buzzsaw almost as potent as Okie St. David has had a monster season and had another awesome game. Sure there were hiccups and some missed tackles but its hard to be perfect.

The defense limited OU to their lowest point total of the year. A couple busted coverages led to scores. OU is a top 10 team and they were 1/16 on 3rd downs. They were 0/2 on 4th downs. My hats off to the D. This loss rests on a young but dynamic freshman qb that was overwhelmed last night.

Today is a new day and NU has a very bright future. Hello Big 10, goodbye bIG twelve!

OU converted at least one fourth down on the Landry's naked bootleg after the 3rd and 24 pass netted 23 yards.

Yeah, they were on the field the whole freaking game. How did the D crap three field goal opportunities down their leg.???..oh wait, I don't agree.

The defense wasn't on the field the whole freaking game! TOP OU 28:00 NU 32:00. If you're going to make an excuse for the defense, and I don't think you need to, it should at least be supported by the game stats.

I think not blitzing on the 3rd and 24 was a HUGE mistake. I said so in another thread and got blasted for it.

When both offenses are lousy time of possession tells you nothing. When most of your drives are in the 3 -4 play range lasting 1-2 minutes, your D is going to be on the field a lot. This was the case with both team.

I would agree that in most cases it is an indicator, but not this one.

Time Link

Some of you guys need to READ and quit thinking so much.

I don't know if you really want to encourage that anymore than it is done already. :unsure:

Seriously though, that was one play call I didn't agree with on the Defensive side of the ball. I know there is more blame to go on the O (so a lot of people want to give the D a complete pass), but I believe that was a gamble that we lost. No guarantees it works if you go the other way and send some extra people, but I probably would have done it and felt comfortable if they ended up with the same yardage.

First off, I'm not bashing the D at all, they absolutely kept us in the game with numerous great stops.

But my thought is, if you bring pressure, which Landry has not handled well, maybe we force him into a bad decision where we have an opportunity to make a big defensive play. I'm sorry, if you give a D1 qb six or seven seconds to throw, someone will get open, no matter how good the secondary is.

This play was eerily similar to the A&M game, we had them pinned back inside their five in third and long, no pressure, lots of time to throw, and another long third down conversion.

Our front four did not put consistant pressure on the QB this season, and if not for a superlative secondary I think we would have seen several more big plays put up on us.

Again, let me emphasis, I'm not ragging on the D, I think they were really, really solid all year. I've just always been of an aggressive mindset coaching, and I like to see our D playing that way. I realize that playing that way leaves you open to giving up the big play, but I still feel that our D could have made more big plays that would have taken some of the load off our offense.

This is the one glaring thing that I saw in the game...these are the 1st down pass completions. (don't take this as me bashing the defense)

1-20 O28 15 yards

1-10 O49 10 yards

1-10 N31 30 yards

1-10 N49 49 yards

1-10 O40 16 yards

1-10 O35 19 yards

1-10 O20 12 yards

1-10 N24 10 yards

1-10 O32 20 yards

1-10 O20 10 yards

1-10 O20 4 yards

That is 10 sets of downs where they passed for more than 10 yards on a 1st down. Only once did they have completion for under 10. They were 11/19 on 1st downs, and 10 of those were for another 1st down. (one of those might have been 1st and long). In contrast, we had one 1st down pass over 10 yards, and only 2 1st down runs for over 10. Add in OU's running on 1st, and they went over 10 yards on 1st 11 times to our 3. Bend but don't break?

That to me kind of overshadows the 1/16 3rd down attempts. That and the 454 yards of offense we gave up.

For the OP, this was a costly play, and i did disagree with the playcall defensively as well tho i did understand the theory. This is where the classic "chessmatch" between OU coaches and Pelinis came in. OU ran all verticles to clear out all defenders with the second option of maybe catching an open seam while bringing a sharp underneath route that beats any corner with full intention of going for it on 4th down even if it was 4th and 5-10 because of the matchup of our O vs their D.

you really hit the nail on the head. I have been thinking for days about other ways our offense hurst us. some intangible thing. I was thinking that it was passion, or 'buying' into the system, or focus or something.

But when you brought up the fact that OU would go for it so many times on 4th down, it's cuz they knew we couldn't move the ball on them and they might as well take the extra play. another pressure put on our D by our inept O and the O isn't even on the field...man