defensive blunder was costly

HANC

Blackshirts007

Kind of glad I didn't ask you to believe me... Just trying to point out that although the offense was not productive, that the last I checked it is a team game. Defense did play lights out most of the game.... Once again, I didn't call out the players, just questioning the "non-blitz" on 3rd and 24....You can bet that I am NOT the only one that thinks a blitz call may have been more productive.

Some of you guys need to READ and quit thinking so much. Take out your anger if you want... NO WHERE IN THE OP, did I say the Defense was the reason we lost. Just thought the other 100 topics about the offense said enough.

HANC,

Wasn't trying to be a D**K. Not cool on my part. The defense didn't play great by any means, but I think they did enough to win the game. I tend to believe Pelini coaches a little bit like the NFL.....Winning by 1 is as good as 50 and who cares how many yards you give up. I don't think he would ever say that, but it does seem that way at times.

No problem.. I didn't think you were being a D**K... appreciate the sentiment though. The good thing is that opinions are exactly that. We all have different view. I still would have blitzed.. and I know that Carl is one of the best and not saying I know more, just stating my opinion.

Again... I don't totally disagree with all of the posts that have the opposite view.

I am not putting the blame on the defense. I thought I made that clear. I know that the offense did nothing but put the defense on the field most, if not all of the second half.

Furthermore, as stated in the OP, I understand the X-O's of why you don't call the blitz...

I just said prior to the play, "that I hope we get some heat, so he doesn't get to stand back there all day and allow WR to get down field"... and then when he DID get that long, and yes, the missed tackle was probably the biggest problem.. I am not sure, but assuming that the WR gained an extra 6-7 yds.... If Jones had to release the ball sooner, and the the WR get 6-7 yds after contact/catch, it would still be 4th and 8....Punt

I see both sides of arguement...

1 of 16 on third down. that one was really costly. should have held them to none.

that is what the sooners were tonight.

please tell me again that somehow our defense lost this game.

they must have tho, right? they didnt create as many turnovers as the offense gave up.

We are talking about ONE big play of the game where we needed a stop. Never once did anyone say in this thread the defense cost us the game. If you could find where that is posted, please let me know.

1 of 16 on third down. that one was really costly. should have held them to none.

that is what the sooners were tonight.

please tell me again that somehow our defense lost this game.

they must have tho, right? they didnt create as many turnovers as the offense gave up.

We are talking about ONE big play of the game where we needed a stop. Never once did anyone say in this thread the defense cost us the game. If you could find where that is posted, please let me know.

im sorry. i was under the impression that one play didnt make or break a game. or should even be pointed out. i dont understand the reasoning, i guess, of even posting this at all. i would say the plays we more needed a stop, like at the end of the game, we got them. how about that? i guess if you want to point out oklahomas 2nd longest play from scrimmage for a whole 24 yards as a game breaker or whatever that deserves its own thread to do, i guess, nothing because you dont want to exactly blame the game on it but still need to point it out, then go ahead. dont mind if i find that a bit ridiculous tho.

how many BIG plays on offense when we needed it did they completely sh#t the goddamnmotherf'ng bed?

We flushed Landry with four, would've sacked him or forced him to get rid of the ball quick with five. But Prince tackling the ball rather than the guy is what probably kept that drive going. Should've been 4th and 5 not 4th and 1.

The D obviously played well enough to win the game but they had some bad plays.

Again I don't understand why you are making this an offense vs defense thing. The whole team made bad plays, and there were good plays on both sides.

OU may have been 2/15 on third down or whatever, but you have that play that Cassidy gets beat in. That play that Hagg gets beat in. That play where Dennard/other guys got beat in that took 1st and 10 from the 31 down to the 1 yard line. These are singular breakdowns that led straight to points going on the board. And you have 3rd and 24 being turned into 4th and 1, letting them get out of that situation too. When these are just costly blunders amidst a backset of a 455-yard game on defense, I would say it wasn't the best day for the D.

They made up for it in many ways, but it was a battle and they could have done so much better, IMO.

The D played well against an offensive buzzsaw almost as potent as Okie St. David has had a monster season and had another awesome game. Sure there were hiccups and some missed tackles but its hard to be perfect.

The defense limited OU to their lowest point total of the year. A couple busted coverages led to scores. OU is a top 10 team and they were 1/16 on 3rd downs. They were 0/2 on 4th downs. My hats off to the D. This loss rests on a young but dynamic freshman qb that was overwhelmed last night.

Today is a new day and NU has a very bright future. Hello Big 10, goodbye bIG twelve!

Defensively with a 3rd and 24 you wouldn't blitz, because you want that extra defender in the secondary. The non blitz was a good call, a DLine stunt or twist could have been helpful, but I fully agree on not blitzing on that play.. The bigger factor on the play like I, and many others have stated, is the seven yards Prince gave up trying to strip the ball. Those seven yards gave Stoops every reason to go for it on fourth instead of punting, if the tackle was made upon the reception.

No disrespect but that was not a good call against Landry, maybe Gabbert or Gilbert, but not Landry. Why? Because everytime he was pressured he didnt mahe the throw. If I were Crick I'd be pissed because he made a hell of a play on 2nd down and Prince...great DB, but man make the play! The term "pressure bust pipes" mean anything? NU had them 17-0 could've been 24-0 if not for the INT. DEFENSE kept NU in the game, OFFENSIVE PLAY CALLING in the 2nd half is what killed BR..PERIOD! We can say all we want about "IF THIS, IF THAT", but when you're moving the ball in WILDCAT towards the end and you throw the ball down field to your QB? That's play calling. TURNOVERS, TURNOVERS, but "THE BLACKSHIRTS" kept it close enough for the OFFENSE to do something. NU had an opportunity to leave the BIG XII with some hardware and instead leaves with heads held high after losing to a worthy opponent..PERIOD! A must for next year......QB Coach....stop fumbling the BALL.....WR's running better routes......USE YOUR TE'S MORE.....OC play adjustments and open up the offense......IMO Blackshirts are back!

The Nebraska cornhuskers football team lost. Not just the offense, Not just the defense, Not just special teams, or the quarterback or runningback etc. The (TEAM) made mistakes and got out played. I know its easy for us as fans to point a finger at someone or something. Not me. The Team as a whole lost. I look forward to next game and next season. Hopefully they take from this loss and season. To make the changes that are needed to win a National championship. To use this as a bump of motivation in the road to glory again. I keep my faith in the N on the side of there helmets. Win or lose I am a fan til I die.