Shawn Watson to interview with Vanderbilt today?

Nexus

In Football 101 a couple of years ago Sanders told the story of how he got the job here at Nebraska. Long story short, he watched the news and saw that Bo had been hired, had dinner, laid down to go to bed, and got a call from Bo. Bo said (this is a quote from Sanders), "Let's go," and hung up. Sanders was on the first plane out of wherever he was at the time (somewhere back East) and got here early the next morning.

So although Sanders has obvious ties to the program, Bo was instrumental in getting him back here.

Great story! /thumbsup

In Football 101 a couple of years ago Sanders told the story of how he got the job here at Nebraska. Long story short, he watched the news and saw that Bo had been hired, had dinner, laid down to go to bed, and got a call from Bo. Bo said (this is a quote from Sanders), "Let's go," and hung up. Sanders was on the first plane out of wherever he was at the time (somewhere back East) and got here early the next morning.

So although Sanders has obvious ties to the program, Bo was instrumental in getting him back here.

I stand completely corrected. Forgot that story.

I'm sure Bo is the one that told the other coaches as well. Doesn't mean Tom wasn't behind the decision prior. Sanders is a heck of a coach, and I don't doubt that Bo wanted him on the staff. Likewise for Brown. My point is this staff seems to be kind of an odd mix. Check out the key players at USC right now. That is a staff that was put together as a whole. Our's seems to be pieced together.

I'm of the belief that no matter how spectacular of an offensive coordinator we have - if the offensive staff doesn't work as a team, and they aren't all made from the same mold - then it won't be successful. It's no different in any bussiness. You can put 10 of the smartest guys in the world in the same room to solve a problem and get nothing...but if you put the 10 "right" guys in that room they can solve it no problem. If we hired Mike Leach as an OC - I don't think he'd be successful without his own guys. If we hired Urban Meyer as OC, I don't think he'd be successful without his own guys.

The same philosophy we use in recruiting can be applied to our needs here. We might not get the "best" guys, but we need to make sure we get the "right" guys. Mangino/Beck paired up again would certainly be interesting. At least the match would make sense.

People should be careful what they wish for because it just might come true. If Watson leaves, well let's just say Barney ball scares the ever living crap out of me.

Wow....we lose all these zero TD games the last couple of years but "it scares the crap out of you" if we made Barney the OC?

Wtf kind of logic is that? Jeeesh, genuis......please explain to me how Barney or anyone else we get is going to do "worse" than your hero SW? "Worse" than zero TDs? "Worse" than 2009's 99th in total offense?

Replacing a proven grossly inept OC coach sure as hell doesn't "scare the crap out of me". If whoever it is doesn't hack it, so what? Just get another one. Anything is better than staying with proven failure (because it scares the crap out of us even trying to approach some low level of competence).

• Fire 1
If whoever it is doesn't hack it, so what? Just get another one.

Good plan. If/when Watson leaves, I hope we take our time bringing in a capable candidate and giving him the reigns to do his job, instead of just throwing the first guy we see out there from within. But opinions vary.

"Worse" than 2009's 99th in total offense?

I am not sure why you continually throw this number out, I haven't been able to find a source to confirm it. Maybe you are thinking of the ranking of the 2007 defense. We've been through many times that the '09 offense was bad, and what was messed up about it, but regardless of whether you will listen to reasons or come up with your own one-liner conclusion of all of it, at least stick with facts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2009

72 != 99

If whoever it is doesn't hack it, so what? Just get another one.

Good plan. If/when Watson leaves, I hope we take our time bringing in a capable candidate and giving him the reigns to do his job, instead of just throwing the first guy we see out there from within. But opinions vary.

"Worse" than 2009's 99th in total offense?

I am not sure why you continually throw this number out, I haven't been able to find a source to confirm it. Maybe you are thinking of the ranking of the 2007 defense. We've been through many times that the '09 offense was bad, and what was messed up about it, but regardless of whether you will listen to reasons or come up with your own one-liner conclusion of all of it, at least stick with facts?

http://espn.go.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/total/year/2009

72 != 99

NCAA Stats page says 99th.

2009 Total Offense Stats

Which I might add is a marked improvement to our Total Offense ranking of 102nd following the 09 CCG last year. chuckleshuffle

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty large mismatch. Always wondered where the number was coming from when I couldn't reproduce it. I wouldn't discount the bowl game. It's probably one of the higher quality defenses we played all year, so if anything it should be given an extra look.

I am encouraged by the 65-point jump in the rankings, which would have been a lot more had Taylor and Zac not gone down. I'm sure the pre-injury games were just anomalies, though! :)

I'm sure Bo is the one that told the other coaches as well. Doesn't mean Tom wasn't behind the decision prior. Sanders is a heck of a coach, and I don't doubt that Bo wanted him on the staff. Likewise for Brown. My point is this staff seems to be kind of an odd mix. Check out the key players at USC right now. That is a staff that was put together as a whole. Our's seems to be pieced together.

I'm of the belief that no matter how spectacular of an offensive coordinator we have - if the offensive staff doesn't work as a team, and they aren't all made from the same mold - then it won't be successful. It's no different in any bussiness. You can put 10 of the smartest guys in the world in the same room to solve a problem and get nothing...but if you put the 10 "right" guys in that room they can solve it no problem. If we hired Mike Leach as an OC - I don't think he'd be successful without his own guys. If we hired Urban Meyer as OC, I don't think he'd be successful without his own guys.

The same philosophy we use in recruiting can be applied to our needs here. We might not get the "best" guys, but we need to make sure we get the "right" guys. Mangino/Beck paired up again would certainly be interesting. At least the match would make sense.

This is true, and nothing in that story from Sanders makes what you're saying untrue. It could have been directed from the top down, and Bo was the messenger. Who knows?

Just wanted to pass along a cool story from the coach.

He has no hope with Vandy, if he's smart about it he'd never take that job.

Why not? He'll probably make 1.5 million a year or about a 450% raise. He'll have some of the lowest expectations of ANY coach in a BCS school. The school has averaged about 4-5 wins since 82. They've had a single bowl appearance in that time span. He gets a cut of SEC money, and gets to coach some very respectable men. Vanderbilt is one heck of a school, and I'm sure the players represent the school well off the field. I could see someone having a VERY long and satisfying career at Vanderbilt. Not every coach is out to win that national championship. Some probably wouldn't even be happy with the high profile job that comes w/ a championship contender. After what Watson's gone though at Nebraska, I'm sure getting a 450% raise and stepping out of the limelight would be welcomed. The guy has been coaching for almost 30 years now. It might not be to bad to spend the last 5-10 racking in a couple million a year knowing that 6-7 wins provides you all the job security you could every wish for. Beats the hell out of days when 11 wins wasn't good enough. (and no I'm not defending Watson's OC performance this year, it was pitiful) :)

Thanks for clearing that up. Pretty large mismatch. Always wondered where the number was coming from when I couldn't reproduce it. I wouldn't discount the bowl game. It's probably one of the higher quality defenses we played all year, so if anything it should be given an extra look.

I am encouraged by the 65-point jump in the rankings, which would have been a lot more had Taylor and Zac not gone down. I'm sure the pre-injury games were just anomalies, though! :)

I would be to if we had a more balanced offense. NU right now is 9th in Rushing Offense but 109th in Passing Offense. Being very one-dimensional makes it easy to defend NU.