Good Luck Shawn Watson on that New Job!!

Be careful what you wish for, that's all I say.

The moment that Martinez was named the starter Watson had 2-3 weeks to develop a scheme that a redshirt freshman would succeed in. And you know what? He did a pretty darn good job, in fact we destroyed Washington, KSU, OSU and Missouri in the first half with that scheme and young QB. Scored more points on those teams than any other team all year, but once Taylor got hurt we were in trouble, we didn't have another QB that matched his talents with his legs. That combined with Bo's insistance on playing Taylor at 60-70% of his health made an ugly end to the season.

I say hats off to Shawn Watson for developing such a potent offense early in the year with a QB that very few thought would ever take a meaningful snap at QB for a BCS level program.

You do realize those defense wre horrible right? Missouris was 40th..OSU's was 90th, KSU wa ike 80th and Washington was around 90th as well..those are bottom half defenses we have faced...

All of those schools played some pretty potent offenses during the year, Washington played Stanford and Oregon ( #1 and # 8 in scoring, NU scored more than both), K-State played OSU and Baylor (#3 and #29 in scoring, NU scored more than both), OSU played A&M, Tex. Tech, OU, Troy, Tulsa, KSU (#37, #34, #17, #27, #10, #25 in scoring, NU topped them all), MU played Illinois, KSU, San Diego State, A&M and Texas Tech (#34, #25, #20, #37, #34, again, NU topped them ALL)

So NU scored more on those 4 teams than some VERY good offenses, and outscored teams like Missouri, Florida, Georgia Tech, West Virginia...all teams that many would consider "better" offenses than Nebraska and Watson, and he did it with a redshirt freshman that was gimpy throughout most the last third of the year.

yeah but their defenses were so bad to start with it's like saying, "their defenses smelled like total sh#t. But WE made them smell DOUBLY like sh#t"

where was ONE td against Texas, aTm? or how about more than 20 against KU, who is made of paper mache? where was any savvy or anything to exploit OU AT ALL?? such as how texass noticed something we defended against formation wise and had Gilber run a bunch in the 1st half? something resembling the fact that watson actually saw a weakness and exploited it? Exploiting UW and OSU is like getting a discount on a $5 hooker.

The moment that Martinez was named the starter Watson had 2-3 weeks to develop a scheme that a redshirt freshman would succeed in. And you know what? He did a pretty darn good job, in fact we destroyed Washington, KSU, OSU and Missouri in the first half with that scheme and young QB. Scored more points on those teams than any other team all year, but once Taylor got hurt we were in trouble, we didn't have another QB that matched his talents with his legs. That combined with Bo's insistance on playing Taylor at 60-70% of his health made an ugly end to the season.

I say hats off to Shawn Watson for developing such a potent offense early in the year with a QB that very few thought would ever take a meaningful snap at QB for a BCS level program.

You do realize those defense wre horrible right? Missouris was 40th..OSU's was 90th, KSU wa ike 80th and Washington was around 90th as well..those are bottom half defenses we have faced...

All of those schools played some pretty potent offenses during the year, Washington played Stanford and Oregon ( #1 and # 8 in scoring, NU scored more than both), K-State played OSU and Baylor (#3 and #29 in scoring, NU scored more than both), OSU played A&M, Tex. Tech, OU, Troy, Tulsa, KSU (#37, #34, #17, #27, #10, #25 in scoring, NU topped them all), MU played Illinois, KSU, San Diego State, A&M and Texas Tech (#34, #25, #20, #37, #34, again, NU topped them ALL)

So NU scored more on those 4 teams than some VERY good offenses, and outscored teams like Missouri, Florida, Georgia Tech, West Virginia...all teams that many would consider "better" offenses than Nebraska and Watson, and he did it with a redshirt freshman that was gimpy throughout most the last third of the year.

yeah but their defenses were so bad to start with it's like saying, "their defenses smelled like total sh#t. But WE made them smell DOUBLY like sh#t"

where was ONE td against Texas, aTm? or how about more than 20 against KU, who is made of paper mache? where was any savvy or anything to exploit OU AT ALL?? such as how texass noticed something we defended against formation wise and had Gilber run a bunch in the 1st half? something resembling the fact that watson actually saw a weakness and exploited it? Exploiting UW and OSU is like getting a discount on a $5 hooker.

How many TD's were dropped against Texas?

How healthy was Taylor against KU? Is a 17 point win really that bad?

How healthy was Taylor against A&M? How much of a chance did we stand the way the officials called that game?

We had scored 17 in the first half and were headed in for another score when Taylor made a bad decision and cost the team points.

My only criticism of Watson in the CCG was his unwillingness to pull Taylor or settle for a FG when it was needed. But hindsight is 20-20, the 3rd down that Taylor got sacked on when we were in FG range on 3rd and long? Watson put the ball in the hands of Martinez hoping he'd make a play, in hopes we'd go get a TD and win the game. It turned out the other way, stuff happens, unfortuntely.

Even without much preparation during the week, you figure Cody HAD to have given us a better shot at the end than Taylor.

That decision is very puzzling, and I wonder how much Bo would have had to do with it.

The 2nd half was unimaginably bad. 213 yards and 20 points in the first half, how did it all go away? The first drive was OK too, until Taylor fumbled.

• Fire 1

Watson knows more about offense than anyone on this board. However, it is not enough. With a defense like ours, it is just frustrating to have such an inept offense. There is now a well established pattern of our offensive scheme (not the kids) being a liability. Nothing personal Shawn, but we need to try something new.

I respect your opinion of this situation but have another thought on the matter. I have no issue with wats going..... wherever. Out of all the QBs NU has, we have ONE that can play? We did not develope any other player enough to play D1 football? I believe Martinez had the speed before he got here, I don't believe the development is there. He is using raw talent and when that failed, he didn't know what to do. (Who's our QB coach???? (sarcasm)) He's gotta go. There is plenty of talent and he's had more than enough time to get an offense together that doesn't implode.

The bottom line, for me, is our offense is consistently shooting themselves in the foot when the game really counts, we can't develope even one QB enough to come close to his potential, and there are more excuses than anywhere I've seen. After this BG12 debacery, I for one have lost all confidence in Wats. I've seen other coaches take linebackers, safties, and corners and coach them into pretty solid QBs. We get top tier QBs out of highschool and can't even get them to the point where they can relieve the suposed starter.... In college sports, you produce or you get off the pot, its that simple. I agree with giving a coach a chance and a resonable, possibly more than resonable time to get his scheem working. I think we are boardering on way too much time and I have lost faith in Wats ever producing a consistent top tier offence, regardless of the recruits.

Then again, my feathers may be a bit ruffled. This last game was more important than any game I've seen in the last 10 years. These kids could have won that game with a better coach. That opourtunity ran down his leg in a yellow stream and that defines it for me. Talk about the fumbles, turn overs, playcalling.... whatever, its the same old song and dance every year.

Out of all the QBs NU has, we have ONE that can play?

We have two, actually. Might have three but obviously the staff (and by that I don't mean Watson) has no faith in him. Might have four if Kody had knees still.

There was no chance whatsoever that a guy like Martinez was going to be a polished QB this year.

Is Josh McDaniels, one of THE best QB coaches in the business, to blame if Tim Tebow isn't a polished NFL quarterback yet this year? I don't think so. You can hand McDaniels Armanti Edwards and give him three years and I don't think he'd make a great QB from the 'quarterbacking' standpoint with him. Got to realize what we have to work with here.

How many TD's were dropped against Texas?

How healthy was Taylor against KU? Is a 17 point win really that bad?

How healthy was Taylor against A&M? How much of a chance did we stand the way the officials called that game?

We had scored 17 in the first half and were headed in for another score when Taylor made a bad decision and cost the team points.

My only criticism of Watson in the CCG was his unwillingness to pull Taylor or settle for a FG when it was needed. But hindsight is 20-20, the 3rd down that Taylor got sacked on when we were in FG range on 3rd and long? Watson put the ball in the hands of Martinez hoping he'd make a play, in hopes we'd go get a TD and win the game. It turned out the other way, stuff happens, unfortuntely.

Watson was stpid to call zone reads with less than a healthy qb....just plain stupid!!!!!!!!! you can't fix stupid!

Watson knows more about offense than anyone on this board. However, it is not enough. With a defense like ours, it is just frustrating to have such an inept offense. There is now a well established pattern of our offensive scheme (not the kids) being a liability. Nothing personal Shawn, but we need to try something new.

just like last year, Watson depends on the D to save his ass. last year it was the O line, this year it was the qb, next year?....it will be playing in a new conference...stop the madness now!!!!!!!!!

My concern it that it seems like Watts offense can not survive with out a superstar healthy QB. I think I still have last year in the back of my mind when I ponder Watson ..... My concern is that I don't think he does a good job developing players, I think he takes what he gets but does not push players to the next level.

Here's a stat for you, the offense cost us 3 games this year. This is becoming a trend.

:yeah It is a trend that needs to be broken. Like many have said before, if we had any semblance of an offense last year, we play for the National Championship. If we had an offense that wasn't built around one player (and a questionably injury prone player at that) this year, we would be playing in a BCS bowl in a month.

The fact that our offense has no identity and Watson cops out behind "We're multiple" every time he's asked about it is infuriating. Something definitely needs to be done. Whether it's letting Watson go to find a new OC or straightening him out. I mean, with T.O. at his disposal (a great offensive mind), you would think he could figure something out by now...