Good Luck Shawn Watson on that New Job!!

Here's a stat for you, the offense cost us 3 games this year. This is becoming a trend.

More like a tradition, 3 games in 09, 3 games in 10..........

LOL. It's funny because it's true.

Whenever I see this thread title I pee a little bit. Then I realize he hasn't, nor will he actually get a head coaching job. Then my soul dies a little more.

Here's a stat for you, the offense cost us 3 games this year. This is becoming a trend.

More like a tradition, 3 games in 09, 3 games in 10..........

The one thing I find interesting is that everyone just wants to use two years. Why? This staff has been here three years. I also see no one mentioning how the offense had to bail the defense's ass out against Okie State this year. How many times did the offense have to bail out the defense in 2008? I'm not a Watson apologist as I basically don't care whether he stays or goes. However, I'm getting a little sick and tired of all the whining about him when it is unfounded. Take the Texas game for example. A lot of people were saying how horribly he called the game. How can he have called a horrible game when our receivers didn't have anyone within 10-15 yards of them? This is great playcalling, and Martinez made great throws. The only problem is that the receivers dropped the passes. Bo should have cleaned house when he came. There should have been no holdovers. However, we have what we have. If you're going to stomp on someones cubes, at least do it for the right reasons. At this juncture, I can think of a position coach or two that deserves a lot more bitch slapping than Watson.

Pretty much ready to give up arguing with the Watson apologists at this point.

Look, with any coach at this level, no matter how ultimately unsuccessful they are, you can point out bright spots. Cosgrove's defense led the nation in sacks in 2005. Barney Cotton's offense once ran for 333 yards. There were times in 99 you would have thought Osborne was calling the plays again.

On the other hand, you can always point to unusually poor spots with great coaches. Bo's defense is 111th in TFLs. McBride gave up 80000 yards to Troy Edwards. TO's mighty option game couldn't even get on the board against ASU. Peyton Manning's thrown an ungodly amount of INTs in the last three games. Belichick and Brady looked inept against the Browns.

Watson's had his bright spots. Tough to give him too much credit for a bunch of 50+ yard runs by a freakishly fast QB that nobody had heard about. But still, he's had his moments over the years. But the overarching results are just painfully mediocre. One offense that produced in the top third of the conference. Failing to produce at the most crucial times in the biggest games.

Nobody hates the guy personally. He seems pretty likable to me. He knows more about football than 99% of us ever will. He makes more money than 99% of us ever will. And really nobody has asked him to be some kind of genius whose offenses rank in the top ten every year. We just need somebody that can put is in the top third of the conference most years. Watson isn't going to be that guy.

+1. Excellent summation of my feelings.

I'm beginning to think that Zoogies is Shawn Watson himself.

Turnovers (including potential turnovers from fumbles which result in a lost play) and penalties is what killed this team this year but there were other factors (including bad play calling when other teams made adjustments). How many drives were stalled because of a fumble (lost or not) or a penalty in these games? Without the turnovers and penalties this season this team could be unbeaten right now.

Texas:

10 penalties, 94 yards

5 fumbles, 1 lost

A&M:

16 penalties, 145 yards (a lot of this was on the cheating refs)

2 Int

2 fumbles, 0 lost

Oklahoma:

3 penalties, 15 yards

1 Int

5 fumbles, 3 lost

Injuries and a rookie QB (take it easy on him all!) didn't help matters any.

Nobody hates the guy personally. He seems pretty likable to me. He knows more about football than 99% of us ever will. He makes more money than 99% of us ever will. And really nobody has asked him to be some kind of genius whose offenses rank in the top ten every year. We just need somebody that can put is in the top third of the conference most years. Watson isn't going to be that guy.

Exactly.

I don't want a team that's "pretty good". I want a team that's great. The only thing that makes this team less than great is the offense. We can't trade players with other schools or pick up players in free agency, so our only option is to look at the coaching staff and ask if they're getting the job done. I don't believe that Shawn is.

I'm sick of not being able to score against average to above average defenses. I'm sick of the offense not being able to adjust. I'm sick of the fumbles. I'm sick of the penalties. I'm sick of the dropped passes. I'm sick of the poor play calling. I'm sick of the bad game planning. I'm sick of the kicker being the main offensive threat. I'm sick of three and outs. I'm sick of not being able to convert third downs. I'm sick of having no identity. I'm sick of inconsistent o-line play. I'm sick of the offense taking a crap on the field. I could probably go on...

But most of all, I'm sick of excuses.

Look, with any coach at this level, no matter how ultimately unsuccessful they are, you can point out bright spots. Cosgrove's defense led the nation in sacks in 2005. Barney Cotton's offense once ran for 333 yards. There were times in 99 you would have thought Osborne was calling the plays again.

On the other hand, you can always point to unusually poor spots with great coaches. Bo's defense is 111th in TFLs. McBride gave up 80000 yards to Troy Edwards. TO's mighty option game couldn't even get on the board against ASU. Peyton Manning's thrown an ungodly amount of INTs in the last three games. Belichick and Brady looked inept against the Browns.

Watson's had his bright spots. Tough to give him too much credit for a bunch of 50+ yard runs by a freakishly fast QB that nobody had heard about. But still, he's had his moments over the years. But the overarching results are just painfully mediocre. One offense that produced in the top third of the conference. Failing to produce at the most crucial times in the biggest games.

Watson has been the OC under Bo for 3 years, and has been in the top 1/3 of the conference 2/3 years, the same amount that Bo's defense has been in the top 1/3 of the conference.

We lost 4 games in 2008, in those we gave up 35, 37, 52 and 62 points, we won games that year in which the defense allowed 24, 35, 28 and 31 points.

In 2009 we lost the VT game when the defense gave up a late, deep pass (yes the offense struggled, but with the game on the line, the D couldn't do it), we lost to Texas in the exact same manner (the D was in a position to win, and couldn't close the deal), the Texas Tech game was just a crappy game for both sides, and the Iowa State game was obviously a rough one for the offense.

In 2010 we lost 2 of our 3 games with a gimpy QB, I don't know if that was a joint Watson\Bo decision, but from people I trust, they've said that it was Bo's call.

Bo, nor Watson is perfect, but Bo is the head coach and ultimately responsible for all facets of the team. And he's happy with the staff, so if you're in Bo's corner think about that.

Watson finished 6th, 11th and 6th in the conference in total offense in 2008, 09, and 10 respectively. Been a while since my last math class but I'm pretty sure 6th is not in the top one third of a 12-team conference.

Also, the Big 12 defenses in 2008 were abysmal. The worst they've been in the history of the conference.

Watson has been the OC under Bo for 3 years, and has been in the top 1/3 of the conference 2/3 years, the same amount that Bo's defense has been in the top 1/3 of the conference.

We lost 4 games in 2008, in those we gave up 35, 37, 52 and 62 points, we won games that year in which the defense allowed 24, 35, 28 and 31 points.

In 2009 we lost the VT game when the defense gave up a late, deep pass (yes the offense struggled, but with the game on the line, the D couldn't do it), we lost to Texas in the exact same manner (the D was in a position to win, and couldn't close the deal), the Texas Tech game was just a crappy game for both sides, and the Iowa State game was obviously a rough one for the offense.

In 2010 we lost 2 of our 3 games with a gimpy QB, I don't know if that was a joint Watson\Bo decision, but from people I trust, they've said that it was Bo's call.

Bo, nor Watson is perfect, but Bo is the head coach and ultimately responsible for all facets of the team. And he's happy with the staff, so if you're in Bo's corner think about that.

Funny how you say the defense lost the Texas game when they held an offense averaging over 30 points a game (probably more than this) to 13, while the offense could only muster up 120 (estimate) yards of total offense (that's TOTAL in case you didn't see that) and four FGs.

Yeah, right. The DEFENSE lost that game.

Excuses excuses. Keep em comin!

Funny how you say the defense lost the Texas game when they held an offense averaging over 30 points a game (probably more than this) to 13, while the offense could only muster up 120 (estimate) yards of total offense (that's TOTAL in case you didn't see that) and four FGs.

Yeah, right. The DEFENSE lost that game.

Excuses excuses. Keep em comin!

Nebraska had the lead, the defense had a chance to stop them, win the game and couldn't do it.

It's the same principle if you're winning 1-0 in baseball and the closer gives up a two run home run, who lost the game? The closer, sure, the offense could have scored more, but the closer had a chance to win and couldn't do it.

• Fire 1

Watson finished 6th, 11th and 6th in the conference in total offense in 2008, 09, and 10 respectively. Been a while since my last math class but I'm pretty sure 6th is not in the top one third of a 12-team conference.

Also, the Big 12 defenses in 2008 were abysmal. The worst they've been in the history of the conference.

In scoring offense they've finished 4th, 8th and 6th, so you're right. But then again in 2008 they were 6th in conference and 18th in the country.

In 3 years our offense has finished 18th, 80th and 28th in scoring offense

Our defense has finished 82nd, 1st and 8th in scoring defense.

Both are pretty good for 2 years with 1 really bad year for both sides.

Of course our scoring offense was 12th until Martinez got injured, but I guess that's an excuse, and not an explaination.

Epic :facepalm:

This post has lost all touch with reality. Watson has been with Nebraska since 2006, and has been our OC since 2007. His OC resume at NU:

TOT: 9th

SCORING: 28th

TOT: 12th

SCORING: 17th

TOT: 99th

SCORING: 75th

TOT: 35th

Meanwhile, Bo inherits the worst defense we've ever had at Nebraska and this is what he did with it:

2007 - For the sake of comparison

TOT: 112th

SCORING: 114th

TOT: 55th

SCORING: 80th

TOT: 7th

SCORING: 1st

TOT: 10th

SCORING: 8th

Under Bo, one year after inheriting the worst defense we've ever had, we've been a top ten defense in both major statistical categories two years running. Under Watson we've had one year out of four where we've been in the top 20 in both major stats categories, and three years where we've been outside the top 20, including one year where we were nearly historically bad. You cannot with a straight face compare our offensive and defensive production and say they're equal in any way. Watson's excuse is worse than Bo's because he's been here longer, and run this offense longer than Bo has run his defense.

You're honestly trying to pin the Texas and VT losses on the defense when they gave up 13 and 16 points? This is such weak sauce. You can cite ONE PLAY against VT where our defense bungled. You can cite maybe two or three against Texas. Meanwhile, the other 50-60 plays on defense were flat-out brilliant in each game, including the greatest performance I have ever witnessed by a single player (Suh vs. Texas).

You seem to be blaming Bo for playing Martinez, citing the injury as if that's somehow factoring into the right/wrong of the decision. What kind of nonsense is this? OF COURSE playing Martinez was the correct call. OF COURSE you cannot predict injuries. You cannot "blame" Bo for playing a QB in September (a QB who was head and shoulders above anyone else on the roster) for an injury that QB incurred two months later. Absurd.

Bo is "happy with the staff" like there are "no injuries" on the team heading into Colorado and the CCG. Meanwhile, Lee barely plays against CU and not at all against Oklahoma. I would take that "happy with the staff" idea with the biggest grain of salt you can possibly find.

Epic :facepalm:

This post has lost all touch with reality. Watson has been with Nebraska since 2006, and has been our OC since 2007. His OC resume at NU:

TOT: 9th

TOT: 12th

SCORING: 17th

TOT: 99th

SCORING: 75th

TOT: 35th

Meanwhile, Bo inherits the worst defense we've ever had at Nebraska and this is what he did with it:

2007 - For the sake of comparison

TOT: 112th

SCORING: 114th

TOT: 55th

SCORING: 80th

TOT: 7th

SCORING: 1st

TOT: 10th

SCORING: 8th

Under Bo, one year after inheriting the worst defense we've ever had, we've been a top ten defense in both major statistical categories two years running. Under Watson we've had one year out of four where we've been in the top 20 in both major stats categories, and three years where we've been outside the top 20, including one year where we were nearly historically bad. You cannot with a straight face compare our offensive and defensive production and say they're equal in any way. Watson's excuse is worse than Bo's because he's been here longer, and run this offense longer than Bo has run his defense.

You're honestly trying to pin the Texas and VT losses on the defense when they gave up 13 and 16 points? This is such weak sauce. You can cite ONE PLAY against VT where our defense bungled. You can cite maybe two or three against Texas. Meanwhile, the other 50-60 plays on defense were flat-out brilliant in each game, including the greatest performance I have ever witnessed by a single player (Suh vs. Texas).

You seem to be blaming Bo for playing Martinez, citing the injury as if that's somehow factoring into the right/wrong of the decision. What kind of nonsense is this? OF COURSE playing Martinez was the correct call. OF COURSE you cannot predict injuries. You cannot "blame" Bo for playing a QB in September (a QB who was head and shoulders above anyone else on the roster) for an injury that QB incurred two months later. Absurd.

Bo is "happy with the staff" like there are "no injuries" on the team heading into Colorado and the CCG. Meanwhile, Lee barely plays against CU and not at all against Oklahoma. I would take that "happy with the staff" idea with the biggest grain of salt you can possibly find.

You cannot deny the fact that the defense was on the field with a chance to close out both the VT and Texas games and failed to do the job.

Actually I have posted that in hindsight the Martinez decision worked out, but I still don't think it was the right one given the people behind him. What I am talking about in this thread is specifically AFTER Taylor was hurt, After Taylor was hurt here are the numbers

42 Carries, 56 Yards ,1.33 YPC, 0 TD, 4 Fumbles

37 Completions, 67 Attempts, 417 Yards, 0 TD, 3 INT, 55.2% Comp %, 78.5 Passer Rating

After injury to Taylor

Martinez, 3 starts, 1-2 offense and averages 15.3 PPG against defenses that allowed an average of 25.6 PPG went -10 ppg down the stretch

Green, 2 starts, 2-0 and offense averages 38 PPG against defenses that allowed an average of 29.8 PPG, so Cody led offenses went +8 PPG down the stretch

As far as Bo being happy with the staff? He's said it many times in interviews, and he hasn't fired anyone right? Is there evidence that he isn't happy with the staff?

Conference rankings are more relevant than national rankings because the conference is two-thirds of your schedule and most likely four-fifths (or more) of your non-creampuff schedule. If you're conference was defense heavy, you could finish 40th nationally in offense but 2nd in your conference and be fine. If you're conference was offense heavy, you could... well, you get the idea.

If you split the conference in thirds, the front four would be the good offenses/defenses, the middle four the average offenses/defenses and the bottom four the poor offenses/defenses.

The teams that are consistently elite (frequent top ten finishes, BCS bowl appearances, part of the national title picture, etc.) are able to finish in the top third of the conference in both offense and defense in most seasons. Bo and Carl have our defense to the point where it should be there almost every season. Now for the offense...