I want to see the "I"..

I agree that being a multiple offense is an identity.

I think if we had a more veteran and savvy quarterback instead of a freshman that already has more than he can handle on his plate, we would be able to see more creativity instead of having to rely on the same things over and over. When we are limited as we are, then we have to be multiple within a narrow scope, which is more difficult. Whole premise of starting Taylor is that while it could cut down the playbook, he will use his legs and do damage enough to make it worth it, and that's been true enough before he got hurt.

I also think you don't need dozens of completely different formations or types of plays (what RB would we have that specializes in a toss sweep, for instance? If Helu and Burkhead are both better up-the-middle in their own way) to really change it up - but smaller things might just be too invisible to notice. Like, I could not tell you about the new completely looks and new routes we threw out against Texas that they were unprepared for, before reading someone else say it's the case. Opinions can vary on some of that stuff, but I can't help but try to piece my own opinions from that rather than my own limited knowledge of the game.

I agree with you that having a freshmen QB will limit your play calling. But its always nice to have a few plays in your back pocket. Also I think Rex burkhead can take any play you throw at him. Sweep, throw, catch hell probably even kick a field goal. But I my self am no expert at football. I was just pointing out what I have seen this season in terms of play calling. I don't think it takes a play calling guru to see that NU offensive plays got snuft out last Sat. OU made in game adjustments. Ofcourse new plays take pratice. I'm sure we'll see a lot new stuff next season.(I HOPE)

And that's why having the I as an optional formation may be a good idea. And yes the zone read did become predictible and easy to defend.

• Fire 1

I've been saying this for the last few years. Power I, Fullback, Twin WRs, and a TE. Run your audibles, control the clock, and you win the game.

I agree with the idea that we need more of a power running attack, but it boggles my mind that we never ran a speed option out of the shotgun with Martinez. We ran it quite a bit last year with Zac Lee, why not run it with a running quarterback?

Both good points I agree. :yeah

During the CCG the offense pulled the guard trying to get a blocker out to lead on sweep read plays. To bad that the guard seemed to be late every time and it never resulted in any big plays.

I agree we need to have the fullback in the game more often that way we can have more speed and not sacrifice muchsize in the blocking.

You suppose Watson is reading the Board taking notes for the Holiday Bowl? :LOLtartar

Has anyone seen Stanford's I formation? They run it beautifully, and I'd like to think we could too if it ever became a staple for us. But then again, Andrew Luck is built for that formation, and so is their big FB and speedy RBs. Luck is very dangerous whenever they go play-action out of the I, and when they run it, their blockers do a great job of opening lanes.

If you've never seen the Cardinal offense, check it out. It's no wonder Harbaugh's powerful offense has dominated the last couple years in the Pac-10.

Two things with that Enhance. Do you have stats for the first half? And the second half stats are problematic because it obviously doesn't include the Wildcat ZR numbers. The only difference there is really Taylor running it, or Rex running it. The athletic defense of OU being a common to both cases. All that points to is Rex running the zone read a lot better than Taylor running it.

Then I think it proves the point that we should not rely on the zone read against athletic defenses, I would think?

If Burkhead is running it better, then let Burkhead run it. If Martinez and Co. aren't getting the zone read done, then change things up a bit.

Two things with that Enhance. Do you have stats for the first half? And the second half stats are problematic because it obviously doesn't include the Wildcat ZR numbers. The only difference there is really Taylor running it, or Rex running it. The athletic defense of OU being a common to both cases. All that points to is Rex running the zone read a lot better than Taylor running it.

Then I think it proves the point that we should not rely on the zone read against athletic defenses, I would think?

If Burkhead is running it better, then let Burkhead run it. If Martinez and Co. aren't getting the zone read done, then change things up a bit.

When I was watching the game, it looked like they were running two different zone reads when Taylor was QB and when Rex was in the wildcat. When Rex was running it they were both going in between the tackles where they were reading the DT or MLB, but when Taylor was running it, it would be to the outside where we would pull a guard, but the speed of Oklahoma got the play before the blocking was set up. So maybe it was just the type of zone read that we ran that was the difference. But I'm not sure, it was just an observation that I made.

When I was watching the game, it looked like they were running two different zone reads when Taylor was QB and when Rex was in the wildcat. When Rex was running it they were both going in between the tackles where they were reading the DT or MLB, but when Taylor was running it, it would be to the outside where we would pull a guard, but the speed of Oklahoma got the play before the blocking was set up. So maybe it was just the type of zone read that we ran that was the difference. But I'm not sure, it was just an observation that I made.

It very well could be the case. I didn't pay enough attention to the differences. But, Burkhead is a running back, so it's very possible that he sees different things than what Martinez does when reading a defensive line's movement.

All I know is this - the zone read was rendered utterly useless in games against SDSU, Texas, Kansas, Iowa St. (granted it was Cody running it then), and also against Oklahoma. Two of those teams have defenses that are very athletic while the others don't, yet our zone-read game suffered in each. We're obviously not going to do whatever we want to do every game of the year, but we should have the audacity to realize that the zone read works against non-con opponents just about as well as it doesn't.

If they want to keep running it regardless of the opponent, then fine. But, Watson should call more runs between the tackles to counter balance. I can't even remember how many drives we had Saturday that involved a failed zone read with Martinez, a stretch play/play that involved pulling linemen that got blown up in the backfield, and then a poor third down attempt followed by a punt.

(Side note - I'm sick of how often we have to pull guards and tackles even with runs up the middle. Whatever happened to just blowing off the ball, having Legate burst through the hole out of the shotgun and then have the running back follow?)

Your exactly right..martinez's reads almost always go outside, very seldom does he go inside. In the wildcat, Rex is almost always reading the interior of the defense and looking for the crease..also note that we put a wide reciever in motion in the wildcat to fake the WR sweep...which is almost never done w/ the QB in...two completely different zone read plays..and two different situations. You cant compare Martinez and Burkhead when running the zone read

I miss the 'I,' too. We can't run it, though. Why? Because we aren't Stanford or Wisconsin. We don't have the personel. This is what I propose for those begging for the 'I.'

post-5438-029534500 1291836397.jpg

The blocking may change depending on field position and defense, but you get the gist.

I miss the 'I,' too. We can't run it, though. Why? Because we aren't Stanford or Wisconsin. We don't have the personel. This is what I propose for those begging for the 'I.'

The blocking may change depending on field position and defense, but you get the gist.

Jeremy, you make it all look so easy. Actually now that I think about it, we did something exactly like this vs Idaho this season. And IT WORKED! Anyone else remember that, or is it just me?

Jeremy, you make it all look so easy. Actually now that I think about it, we did something exactly like this vs Idaho this season. And IT WORKED! Anyone else remember that, or is it just me?

I remember it well.

Go to 1:17 in this video, and it is the play in discussion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cb671XwyCYU

I don't understand why we don't run traditional option more.