Bo fights back tears at team banquet

Nexus

Totally agree Junior4949,

Bo has gotten Nebraska back on track, there is no question about that. But we are not back. Still a ways to go to even think that way.

He does not deserve a pay raise until he actually accomplishs the goals set. He did not even reach his goals this year.

Hell none of them deserve what they are making as far as I am concerned.

None of them deserve 1/8th of what they are paid. No college coach should make more than ca. $200,000 a year.

This is unrealistic in an "industry" that generates revenue in the billions of dollars. Like it or not, these guys are compensated commensurate with the money they generate.

Well, Knapp. From the perspective of the University, all but about 12-15 football programs in the country cost more $ than they generate (as regards cash flow in and out of the athletic department). Now, a good research professor in a Chemistry or Physics (engineering, Biology, etc.) department will make ca. $150,000 a year, and, in terms of grants, generate over a $1,000,000 a year to their departments. Research-based Medical school professors often generate 3-5 times their salaries per year in grants.

I know what you mean that it is an "industry" but, in general, college athletics are a fiscally-draining industry to the university (at least in terms of direct cash-flow). Solid scholarship among the faculty is a fiscal benefit to the university. College sports, however, are not. And... the best faculty (the stars) make 150-250K or so a year. That should be the limit for the best FB coaches too.

That said, you are 100% correct --- the exorbitant salaries will continue.

Things I know and things I think I know:

-- Nebraska football coach Bo Pelini fought back tears as he prepared to speak during the team's banquet Saturday night at the Cornhusker Marriott Hotel.

Continue Reading

And this is why I had absolutely no issues with his reaming of T-Mart or Ben Cotton (undeservadle). He loves those kids and would do anything for them. He expects excellence and try's to teach it. The players know that he would run head first through that wall right beside them if he asked them to.

I would love to be there when BO found out why Cotton came up kicking. There had to be a few great one liners.

Bo has gotten Nebraska back on track, there is no question about that. But we are not back. Still a ways to go to even think that way.

He does not deserve a pay raise until he actually accomplishs the goals set. He did not even reach his goals this year.

None of them deserve 1/8th of what they are paid. No college coach should make more than ca. $200,000 a year.

If you had to put in the amount of hours that coaches do, I'm sure that you'd want a little more money

IN BO WE TRUST!!!!

Bo needs another raise to compete with all of these other schools and to keep Bo here IMO. We all had a scare when Miami supposedly came knocking on Bo's door and I think a way to keep Bo here and other schools away is to give Bo another raise to match the competition.

Another raise? Why? I hate to be a debbie downer here, but Bo hasn't accomplished much yet. He's won the North, but so did Clownahan. We haven't won a conference title yet, and we haven't played in a BCS Bowl yet. If he's about the money, then I hope he does go somewhere else. From what I can gather he's around the 25-26th highest paid coach now. Most of those above him have won NC and conference championships and played in BCS bowls. He's also paid more than coaches who've won NC such as Joe Pa, Spurrier, Schnellenberger, etc. Once we're in the Big 10, he'll be the third highest paid coach in the conference and more than likely soon to be second highest paid once Rich Rod gets fired next year.

Actually only the top 7 have won the MNC recently. After that Paterno did, but everyone else above BO including Ferenz (most overpaid) and Gill (a close second) haven't won a title either.

This is unrealistic in an "industry" that generates revenue in the billions of dollars. Like it or not, these guys are compensated commensurate with the money they generate.

Well, Knapp. From the perspective of the University, all but about 12-15 football programs in the country cost more $ than they generate (as regards cash flow in and out of the athletic department). Now, a good research professor in a Chemistry or Physics (engineering, Biology, etc.) department will make ca. $150,000 a year, and, in terms of grants, generate over a $1,000,000 a year to their departments. Research-based Medical school professors often generate 3-5 times their salaries per year in grants.

I know what you mean that it is an "industry" but, in general, college athletics are a fiscally-draining industry to the university (at least in terms of direct cash-flow). Solid scholarship among the faculty is a fiscal benefit to the university. College sports, however, are not. And... the best faculty (the stars) make 150-250K or so a year. That should be the limit for the best FB coaches too.

4. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Team Value: $93 million

Profit: $49 million

Head Coach: Bo Pelini

Conference: Big 12

Previous Value Rank: 18

Lincoln, Neb., Metro Population: 295,486

Donations required by Nebraska for season ticket holders to keep their seats totaled $15 million last season.

Looks like Bo is underpaid according to Forbes.

IN BO WE TRUST!!!!

Bo needs another raise to compete with all of these other schools and to keep Bo here IMO. We all had a scare when Miami supposedly came knocking on Bo's door and I think a way to keep Bo here and other schools away is to give Bo another raise to match the competition.

Another raise? Why? I hate to be a debbie downer here, but Bo hasn't accomplished much yet. He's won the North, but so did Clownahan. We haven't won a conference title yet, and we haven't played in a BCS Bowl yet. If he's about the money, then I hope he does go somewhere else. From what I can gather he's around the 25-26th highest paid coach now. Most of those above him have won NC and conference championships and played in BCS bowls. He's also paid more than coaches who've won NC such as Joe Pa, Spurrier, Schnellenberger, etc. Once we're in the Big 10, he'll be the third highest paid coach in the conference and more than likely soon to be second highest paid once Rich Rod gets fired next year.

Actually only the top 7 have won the MNC recently. After that Paterno did, but everyone else above BO including Ferenz (most overpaid) and Gill (a close second) haven't won a title either.

Ferenz is overpaid, but he at least has gotten his team to a BCS bowl. Bo, not so much. I have absolutely no idea why Gill is paid what he's paid other than Mangino was highly paid before he got fired. There are not that many above him on the pay scale that have achieved less than he has in terms of conference championships, BCS bowls, etc.

4. Nebraska Cornhuskers

Team Value: $93 million

Profit: $49 million

Head Coach: Bo Pelini

Conference: Big 12

Previous Value Rank: 18

Lincoln, Neb., Metro Population: 295,486

Donations required by Nebraska for season ticket holders to keep their seats totaled $15 million last season.

Looks like Bo is underpaid according to Forbes.

The numbers you quote are not cash flow numbers for the athletic department and include a very small subset of actual costs. When costs to the athletic department (travel, insurance, salaries, benefits, retirements for coaches/trainers/physicians, scholarship/housing/training table costs, costs for maintenance/upkeep of facilities including stadium/weight-rooms/training tables, etc., and costs associated with materials/supplies, and promotions, and other costs) are balanced against revenue in terms of ticket sales, television/radio revenue, conference revenue sharing, bowl revenue, and merchandising revenue (to the athletic program) --- the tally of profit is closer to, at best 4-5 million annually for the top programs and 90% of all programs run in the red --- most run hugely in the red.

The numbers you quote are not cash flow numbers for the athletic department and include a very small subset of actual costs. When costs to the athletic department (travel, insurance, salaries, benefits, retirements for coaches/trainers/physicians, scholarship/housing/training table costs, costs for maintenance/upkeep of facilities including stadium/weight-rooms/training tables, etc., and costs associated with materials/supplies, and promotions, and other costs) are balanced against revenue in terms of ticket sales, television/radio revenue, conference revenue sharing, bowl revenue, and merchandising revenue (to the athletic program) --- the tally of profit is closer to, at best 4-5 million annually for the top programs and 90% of all programs run in the red --- most run hugely in the red.

But we're not most programs. We're us, and we run in the black more often than not. Our football team is hugely profitable, and supports most, if not all of, the entire athletic budget. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is not going broke over our football team, and the salary we pay our coaches reflects the importance of the program to this University. Without a successful football program, we're just another University with an undergrad enrollment south of 20,000.

But we're not most programs. We're us, and we run in the black more often than not. Our football team is hugely profitable, and supports most, if not all of, the entire athletic budget. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln is not going broke over our football team, and the salary we pay our coaches reflects the importance of the program to this University. Without a successful football program, we're just another University with an undergrad enrollment south of 20,000.

Absolutely true. The NU football program probably does legitimately run in the black to the tune of 4-5 million or so per year. And a successful football program is nice. Still... like all coaches... our guys are overpaid. Relativistically re: other coaches? probably paid about where they should be. But still overpaid.

People who work 100 hours a week generating millions of dollars should not make more than 200,000?

Someone's bitter.