Casey Martinez licensing deal with Huskers not a violation

Fox Sports

Casey Martinez had a deal with Nebraska nearly a year before his football-playing son, Taylor, did.

The NCAA said the business partnership does not violate college rules, but spokesman Erik Christianson acknowledged such deals "could raise concerns" about recruiting inducements.

Steve Morgan, an attorney at Bond, Schoeneck & King, a firm that specializes in representing schools and athletes in NCAA cases, spoke generally and called the deal "scary."

Whoa! This is news to me...and I definitely agree with that "scary" sentiment.

No wonder Casey Martinez feels like he's entitled to talk to his son during games.

Btw, how intriguing this is an LA Times article. Talk about the big time in the wrong way.

That's scary, I agree.

And it's not much of a company, is it?

By terms of the agreement, Nebraska gets a 10% royalty on all Corn Fed products it sells. That, according to Stephens, has been less than $500 over a period of more than three years.

Has to be a side endeavor, when it sells $5000 worth of product in three years.

I wonder how Casey got to be such good friends with Bo, but that is a separate topic I am guessing.

Why is this scary? Bo wasn't even hired as a coach until Jan of 08 well after this deal was signed. Hell. . TO wasn't even AD here yet.

The only way this becomes an issue is if one guy decides to buy a bunch of shirts all of the sudden. Chances of that happening were very slim until this story came out.

By terms of the agreement, Nebraska gets a 10% royalty on all Corn Fed products it sells. That, according to Stephens, has been less than $500 over a period of more than three years.

You guys realize that Casey Martinez is paying NU for the right to put Husker logos on the clothing he sells. Just like he pays Iowa State and Iowa for the rights to their logos. It would be "scary" if he wasn't paying.

• Fire 2

You guys realize that Casey Martinez is paying NU for the right to put Husker logos on the clothing he sells. Just like he pays Iowa State and Iowa for the rights to their logos. It would be "scary" if he wasn't paying.

The scary part would/could be Nebraska agreeing to let Casey use the Husker logo in exchange for Taylor committing to NU/being the starting the QB and NU receiving less in royalties than ISU or Iowa and then Taylor playing for NU

The scary part would/could be Nebraska agreeing to let Casey use the Husker logo in exchange for Taylor committing to NU/being the starting the QB and NU receiving less in royalties than ISU or Iowa and then Taylor playing for NU

Except none of these things even remotely happened. People, including other journalists harping on the story, seem to be skimming over the details. The deal was signed in 2007. Taylor was still a junior in high-school, Nebraska had probably not even heard of him recruiting-wise, and most of the current staff was not even employed here. Unless time-travel is involved, I don't think the time-line allows for some sort of quid pro quo. It's possible Casey thought his business would benefit from Taylor going to NU, but all the quotes I've seen say the #1 reason Taylor picked Nebraska was because they were the only major school recruiting him that would promise him a shot at quarterback. I think that played a much bigger role than any boost to Casey's home business.

As pointed out earlier, nobody's getting rich from this deal. Corn-Fed hasn't blown up as a brand and still seems to be a pretty small operation. Hell, the media sniffing around for a scandal is probably going to give that company more of a publicity boost than its licensing deal with NU. I think the only question will be whether NU will be able to honor its contract with Corn-Fed with all of the press harping about it "because it looks bad." I think the school was probably a bit stuck when Taylor came here: cancel the license to avoid the "appearance" of impropriety and pull the rug out from under a guy's small business, or honor the contract and deal with heat from the media.

Thanks. My next question was going to be if he had dealings with other schools.

As long as Taylor says he didn't know anything about it, we are in the clear

Nice! chuckleshuffle

Considering how the NCAA completely lacks any consistency in its rulings (see Ohio St players vs Cam Newton)I wouldn't be surprised if they opened up an investigation into this. On that same note, Corn Fed seems to have been around a while and the NCAA would have to be completely blind to not have looked into this already. In fact, I believe the article indicates the NCAA has no issues with it.

Any one remember Martinez wearing a cornfed hooded sweatshirt after the KU game in the press conference. Is that OK to do that. Did Tmart pay for the sweatshirt since its not offical husker gear. If not, I would think its got to be some sort of violation like the Eric Crouch sandwich deal.

Found the video....