Is Bo really head coach?

Husker66

Bo is still learning as a head coach. There were a couple times this year where he admitted he should have done something different like not take Martinez out against Texas and allowing Henerey to try the 62 yd FG against Oklahoma. Admitting his mistakes and learning from them should help in the future

His next decision is right around the corner. We'll see how much he's learned.

I say the jury is still out on Bo, if this is what we are going to get year in and year out, than we only have a Callahan situation in reverse. I think he will grow and adapt, but the demise of this years team will be a good indication on how he can do that. 10-4 is a great season, but really WTF is going on!!!

Amazing that 10 days ago most of us felt the need to up Bo's current salary. Yes, he has lots of learning to do. The man is a competitor and i believe he will make the proper adjustments in the next few days. The coaches are not to blame for the all the 12 penalties, but you could make the case on the back to back delay of game penalties- i don't believe I have seen that before (unless you count crowd noise as a factor). We will regroup and reload and all have high expectations next year.

honestly, there is no defense for keeping Watson, does anyone think it will be any different next season?....i mean really, cmon man!

I know it wasn't this bad, but I remember when, in the late 80's, we all wanted Charlie McBride's head. Our D was slow and overmatched against the speed in the SEC. They went down to Fl. State (I think) and learned a lot that lead to our dominant mid-90's run. Now, I'm not saying Wats is any McBride; and we were regularly in the NC picture in the late 80's (not getting embarassed by 6-6 teams) but I guess I'm just hoping, that if Wats does stay, there is some sort of ah-ha moment.

honestly, there is no defense for keeping Watson, does anyone think it will be any different next season?....i mean really, cmon man!

I know it wasn't this bad, but I remember when, in the late 80's, we all wanted Charlie McBride's head. Our D was slow and overmatched against the speed in the SEC. They went down to Fl. State (I think) and learned a lot that lead to our dominant mid-90's run. Now, I'm not saying Wats is any McBride; and we were regularly in the NC picture in the late 80's (not getting embarassed by 6-6 teams) but I guess I'm just hoping, that if Wats does stay, there is some sort of ah-ha moment.

as i said, after 5 years of this sh#t, do you really think Watson has demonstrated any improvement?

We shall see what happens but the Bo/Watts team can not put a strong offense on the field this is 2 years in a row. Last year I let is pass due to injuries but the problem is worse. A deeper problem exists for the offense because they have looked ugly a number of times this year and 2 of the 4 loses Texas and Last night have to do with the offense not being able to put a consistent competitive product on the field. The S. Dakota game is another example of a failure to motivate and prepare players on the offense.

The other thing that needs to happen aside from the obvious coaching changes of Watsgrove/Cotton/Gilmore is that the person he brings in needs to be allowed to run a system and make decisions. On the one hand this Martinez debacle is entirely at Bo's feet. If the rumors are true and he more or less forced this unprepared amateur on the team, he made one bad decision. But it was only bad in context. The context being he wants to run a system his doofus of a coordinator cannot run and has no experience running in the first place.

Find a guy who knows how to construct and design a full spread-option attack. Period. Our season might have been glorious had it not been for Bo's deranged devotion to a square peg/round hole philosophy.

People waited all the way through 2007 for that moment. You know what's more likely to happen first? You picking up a paper one morning that reads, "Osborne, Pelini Fired".

Watson is not going to have an 'Aha!' moment. He's not going to magically turn into an option coach. He's coaching out of his element at the highest level of collegiate football and he's equipped with a mediocre staff that do not develop or produce excellence from their players.

People waited all the way through 2007 for that moment. You know what's more likely to happen first? You picking up a paper one morning that reads, "Osborne, Pelini Fired".

Watson is not going to have an 'Aha!' moment. He's not going to magically turn into an option coach. He's coaching out of his element at the highest level of collegiate football and he's equipped with a mediocre staff that do not develop or produce excellence from their players.

Ok, you are probably right on this one. I guy can hope can't he? (by the way, I'm hoping even more the Wats finds a new job).

The other thing that needs to happen aside from the obvious coaching changes of Watsgrove/Cotton/Gilmore is that the person he brings in needs to be allowed to run a system and make decisions. On the one hand this Martinez debacle is entirely at Bo's feet. If the rumors are true and he more or less forced this unprepared amateur on the team, he made one bad decision. But it was only bad in context. The context being he wants to run a system his doofus of a coordinator cannot run and has no experience running in the first place.

Find a guy who knows how to construct and design a full spread-option attack. Period. Our season might have been glorious had it not been for Bo's deranged devotion to a square peg/round hole philosophy.

Didn't Martinez win the job because he was tearing it up against OUR D in fall practice? The theory was if he could do that against our stellar D then he would do the same against others. When healthy we all saw what he was capable of. When not healthy he became an average to subpar QB.

When healthy Martinez was like Ganz and able to out perform what Watson called. Hopefully Bo can see like the rest of the world that Watson is unable to adjust without the most important aspect of his gameplan in place.

Didn't Martinez win the job because he was tearing it up against OUR D in fall practice? The theory was if he could do that against our stellar D then he would do the same against others. When healthy we all saw what he was capable of. When not healthy he became an average to subpar QB.

When healthy Martinez was like Ganz and able to out perform what Watson called. Hopefully Bo can see like the rest of the world that Watson is unable to adjust without the most important aspect of his gameplan in place.

That's what the coaches told us. However, we all know the coaches aren't at all honest with us.

We definitely regressed from last year to this year, for example, and the stats bear that out.

I don't think it's BC guys vs BP guys about this staff. So much as a freaking clueless OL coach. Maybe an overambitious OC, but we 1) did very well prior to QB injuries, 2) could have IMO, reacted a lot better to them had we not stuck with injured Taylor and just turned Cody loose.

We are going to see more of Bo's vision for the offense though, once Watson leaves as he is sure to (my guess).

Against some great defenses too, huh Zoogies? I see in other threads that you are now done defending Watson and have turned your energy towards blaming Taylor for the offense's woes.

This offense is pathetic. Turnovers, penalties, lack of execution/discipline, horrible/predictable playcalling, unwillingness to make in-game adjustments. Taylor has regressed as a QB. Who is the QB coach?

IMO, last night was the worst loss under Pelini. Some may say Texas last year in the CCG or Texas this year, but Texas is/was a much better team than UW will ever be. We already stomped UW this year and then we show up with a performance like that? I was embarrassed to be a Husker fan last night.

This is Bo's chance to man up, address the glaring issues on the offensive side of the ball, and do what everyone knows needs to be done. This off-season will be a defining moment of the Pelini era.

I have not stopped being critical of Taylor ever since August.

No QB coach would have any luck with him. Period. He is not ready, wasn't ready, and wasn't going to be ready. Needs no more explanation at this point, I hope. This is what I meant at the beginning of the year when I screamed that the kid was raw and not a quarterback. When I said he would give us explosive plays and then shut off for periods. When I said if the explosion is ever taken away, we'd be screwed. It was what people wanted anyway.

I think Watson is gone regardless. Though I am surprised he didn't get the Miami job.