Support for T-Mart

HANC

Yes, I support Taylor Martinez. I am not an apologist. I think he has "athleticism" that we have NOT SEEN at the QB here since Tommie. No, he is not Tommie Frazier, but he does have some of his "make up"..

1. Tommie was cocky...so WAS Taylor, until the injury killed his confidence

2. Tommie was NOT popular among teammates....neither is Taylor

3. Tommie was not a polished passer...ever....Tayor is not "yet"

** Okay, before everyone bashes me for even bringing the names up in the same breath, I know that Tommie WON GAMES AND NC.... and Taylor hasn't !!!! That is not my point.

I am just saying that some of the descriptors using to "bash" T-Mart are the same qualities that Tommie had...

*** When healthy, he was dynamic, even threw the ball well against OSU and MU...

Last night, I was AS PISSED AS ANYONE ON THIS BOARD... but I also, at times , felt that our best offensive play was when Taylor scrambled and tried to make things happen. He was TRYING to make plays. I know he caught a lot of crap for his two attempted shovel passes, but he was trying to make something happen. On the first, I admit, don't understand trying to throw it away on 3rd down, but the second one gave him the ONLY chance to get the ball to Helu. The defender just made a play. Heck, if he would have gotten the ball to Helu, it would have been a great play.

He was given ZERO chance to succeed last night, by Watson. 1st down run vs 8 in box...2nd down hand-off vs 8 in box and 3rd down pass when OL gets blown up...

He has a LONG, LONG way to go before he can lead us to a title, but I will not jump on the "let him transfer" wagon. He needs to grow up and mature into a leader.

Hopefully he learned from this year and will build on it.. He needs to mend fences with teammates and fix some off the so-called "daddy" problems that are circulating.

** So, I do NOT say he is perfect, but I am not going to push all of the blame on him. I am positive that if Turner-Carnes or any other "message board hero" that hasn't taken a snap yet, will struggle during their first year as a starter in the Big 10......especially if they are inured and have an idiot calling plays.

Go ahead, blast away.

While I don't disagree with your analogy, there is one HUGE difference between Taylor Martinez and Tommie Frazier. Frazier's teammates did hate him. However, every single one of his teammates respected him. Unfortunately for Martinez, I don't think all of his teammates respect him. I hope he stays on the team as well. Until someone else steps up, he is our starting QB.

While I don't disagree with your analogy, there is one HUGE difference between Taylor Martinez and Tommie Frazier. Frazier's teammates did hate him. However, every single one of his teammates respected him. Unfortunately for Martinez, I don't think all of his teammates respect him. I hope he stays on the team as well. Until someone else steps up, he is our starting QB.

Agreed....a very good point. They did RESPECT TF...and it is painfully obvious that there is NO repsect for Taylor at this point. This is kind of what I meant by he needs to mend a fences with teammates and learn how to lead.

** And, by the way, Tommie is probably my ALL-TIME favorite Husker, so once again I will stress that I am not putting them in the same category, just comparing qualities.

- very good point.

My two cents literally.

1. Last May at my bachelor party in Chicago we ran into Kevin Raemakers, Terry Conneally, Zach Weigert and a couple of other former players. ALL of them said they despised Tommie off of the field and would never want to hang or be seen with him. ALL of them said they respected him as an athlete and onfield leader. And this was the concensus of 85-90% of the team. Their stories were great.

2. Eric Crouch was the second most dynamic QB after TF. Even as a frosh and soph. He had it. Not just speed, but the shake and bake. Taylor has straight line speed. but no bake and not even a wiggle much less any shake. Name a time he shook a defender one on one in the open field. Didn't happen. And at this points in their career Crouch looked like Peyton Manning throwing the ball compared to Taylor.

If Taylor puts forth a lot of effort and has a strong off season I may change my tune, but I don't know if that will happen.

My two cents literally.

1. Last May at my bachelor party in Chicago we ran into Kevin Raemakers, Terry Conneally, Zach Weigert and a couple of other former players. ALL of them said they despised Tommie off of the field and would never want to hang or be seen with him. ALL of them said they respected him as an athlete and onfield leader. And this was the concensus of 85-90% of the team. Their stories were great.

2. Eric Crouch was the second most dynamic QB after TF. Even as a frosh and soph. He had it. Not just speed, but the shake and bake. Taylor has straight line speed. but no bake and not even a wiggle much less any shake. Name a time he shook a defender one on one in the open field. Didn't happen. And at this points in their career Crouch looked like Peyton Manning throwing the ball compared to Taylor.

If Taylor puts forth a lot of effort and has a strong off season I may change my tune, but I don't know if that will happen.

Another good point with the Crouch comparison. You are right about the lateral movement. That is what set Crouch apart from the rest of the nation. Tommie also had the "shake and bake" in open field... I think Taylor has a "little" of that, and they are running a "different" type of option... the zone read is mostly a straight ahead option that doesn't require lateral running with the quick upfield cut. Against KSU, I thought a few times Taylor showed flashes of "make 'em miss" . But your point is well taken.

- good point

No doubt, I think that maybe Taylor was handed the reins, and Bo gave in at times to either his own ego, or to the Martinez's egos...

I may be wrong on my stats, so please correct me if I am wrong, BUT didn't Taylor come very close to being the first freshman qb to rush and pass for 1000 yds in a season. And in a season that he missed 1/2 game vs MU, whole game vs ISU , 1/2 game vs aTM , and played hurt in KU game.

** If my stats are right (which may not be), he put up decent....not overwhelming...but decent numbersfor a freshman and missed 2 games and played at less than full speed in a few more.

I just don't think that you are going to get that much production from ANY other freshman QB... freshman are just that...young, and going to go through pains... give him a chance to grow up.

he came within 40 yards rushing or so of being the third freshman qb to do it ..i believe.....had he been healthy he would have done it a long time ago

I wish i knew what the heck was going on...you hear all this crap from insiders like jliehr..who i tend to believe for some reason.

With what he, BW and some others are HINTING AT its no wonder the team is in such turmoil. I just wish one of these guys would tell us how it is without beating around the bush.

I just have a hard time believing that Bo would keep starting this kid if everyone hated him. I mean its obvious that no one on the team likes the kid (the TD last night was a great example)...its puzzling why BO would start him when seemingly everyone on the team and other coaches are against it. Watson seems to want out because he cant even run the offense he wants or even start the QB he wants, seems like there are a lot of REALLY BIG problems going on right now.

Yes, I support Taylor Martinez. I am not an apologist. I think he has "athleticism" that we have NOT SEEN at the QB here since Tommie. No, he is not Tommie Frazier, but he does have some of his "make up"..

1. Tommie was cocky...so WAS Taylor, until the injury killed his confidence

2. Tommie was NOT popular among teammates....neither is Taylor

3. Tommie was not a polished passer...ever....Tayor is not "yet"

** Okay, before everyone bashes me for even bringing the names up in the same breath, I know that Tommie WON GAMES AND NC.... and Taylor hasn't !!!! That is not my point.

I am just saying that some of the descriptors using to "bash" T-Mart are the same qualities that Tommie had...

*** When healthy, he was dynamic, even threw the ball well against OSU and MU...

Last night, I was AS PISSED AS ANYONE ON THIS BOARD... but I also, at times , felt that our best offensive play was when Taylor scrambled and tried to make things happen. He was TRYING to make plays. I know he caught a lot of crap for his two attempted shovel passes, but he was trying to make something happen. On the first, I admit, don't understand trying to throw it away on 3rd down, but the second one gave him the ONLY chance to get the ball to Helu. The defender just made a play. Heck, if he would have gotten the ball to Helu, it would have been a great play.

He was given ZERO chance to succeed last night, by Watson. 1st down run vs 8 in box...2nd down hand-off vs 8 in box and 3rd down pass when OL gets blown up...

He has a LONG, LONG way to go before he can lead us to a title, but I will not jump on the "let him transfer" wagon. He needs to grow up and mature into a leader.

Hopefully he learned from this year and will build on it.. He needs to mend fences with teammates and fix some off the so-called "daddy" problems that are circulating.

** So, I do NOT say he is perfect, but I am not going to push all of the blame on him. I am positive that if Turner-Carnes or any other "message board hero" that hasn't taken a snap yet, will struggle during their first year as a starter in the Big 10......especially if they are inured and have an idiot calling plays.

Go ahead, blast away.

he has had a whole season to learn to read progressions.....blame him or Wats, but i saw no improvement whatsoever.

Martinez is a golden child in the eyes of Watson and Bo. Until that changes, I just dont see anybody but him starting at QB.

I think his skills could be better used at slot receiver like KU did with Kerry Meier.

Right now Bo must focus on getting his team back....

Jamal Turner?.....he will be here in January.

I believe that these guys (other posters) definitely know some inside stuff... I also can't and won't argue against ANY of the opinions or facts that are thrown out gving reasons "why" T-Mart isn't or will not be a great qb, because I can HONESTLY see and agree with most of those points.

I guess that I am kind of on the perverbial fence about T-Mart, but I have convinced myself that he has shown enough potential to be molded into a very good qb at NU...

Many of you know that I coach, and have NEVER claimed to know more than anyone, but I have seen HS qb's come in as fresh. / soph. and at times look brilliant and at times look like a fresh..... after a year to figure it out, they become very good leaders and great qbs.

I just don't see any other "freshman" having any MORE success than Taylor did.... his stats say enough about that topic. Yes, he needs to work on his "people skills", but athetically he can make it....especially if the OC would call a better game plan that would set the team up for success.