Support for T-Mart

HANC

I wish we could get off the injury being the turning point of the season for T-Mart. There were several times before his injury where he looked as bad as he did at the end of the year. Unfortunately, it's a convenient excuse.

He's average and I feel bad for the kid. He was the answer to the 2009 offensive problems.

Staff bought in.

We bought in...most of us.

National Media Bought in.

Now that the T-Mirage has disappeared as fast as it appeared and we all feel like we just lost a year. I'd say we may be at a worse point then a year ago. The one good thing that could come is significant changes.

I wish i knew what the heck was going on...you hear all this crap from insiders like jliehr..who i tend to believe for some reason.

Let me correct you, I am NOT an insider by any means, I post my opinion, which is based off what I hear from indivuals far smarter than myself. I have no connections directly to anyone currently associated with the football program, I do run into and discuss Husker football with a few players from the TO era and their families. Take what I say with a grain of salt, as my opinion, and mine only rather than inside information. I will not post anything that I do not beleive to be true, but do try to share my opinion or information I've gained from others.

Now back to our regularly scheduled discussion :wasted

The playmaking ability he gave us this year was more than any QB I've seen since Taylor or Crouch...AS A RS FRESHMAN. He was better than any QB we had on the roster this year. I can't even imagine what the season would have been like if we had gone with Lee or Green. It would have been a heck of a lot worse, thats for sure. If the coaching staff and fan base gives him enough time, he WILL turn into a good player. He just has a lot of work to do

I wish we could get off the injury being the turning point of the season for T-Mart. There were several times before his injury where he looked as bad as he did at the end of the year. Unfortunately, it's a convenient excuse.

He's average and I feel bad for the kid. He was the answer to the 2009 offensive problems.

Staff bought in.

We bought in...most of us.

National Media Bought in.

Now that the T-Mirage has disappeared as fast as it appeared and we all feel like we just lost a year. I'd say we may be at a worse point then a year ago. The one good thing that could come is significant changes.

I agree with your point of being at a worse point now than last year. I don't think that is even a question... this team totally fell off the chart the last 1/2 of the season. I am not sure you can pin it solely on T-Mart (and I'm guessing YOU are not... I meant in general).....hasn't Watson basically changed his offensive philosophy each of the past 3 seasons... two years ago, it was more spread and WCO, using crossing routes and utilizing the TE....last season, it varied into "no mans land", utilizing the wildcat at end....and this year he almost went strictly zone-read.... this is division 1 football, you believe in a system and recruit to it...not like HS when you MUST deviate a little to fit your players.

1. If you're going to be cocky, back it up against good teams. And SDSU

2. Paul Crewe's post seems to have refuted that

3. WE ARE NOT AN OPTION TEAM. AGAIN, NOT AN OPTION TEAM. Tommie wasn't a polished passer and didn't need to be to be successful in his system.

Sorry if I sound like an ass, but this comparison is irrelevant.

3. WE ARE NOT AN OPTION TEAM. AGAIN, NOT AN OPTION TEAM. Tommie wasn't a polished passer and didn't need to be to be successful in his system.

I agree that the comparison is irrevelant but the zone read is an option play, that is our base offense and we are an option team. Just a differatn type of option team.

Changes do need to be made on offense but benching the best freshman to play at Nebraska (pre injury there was no question) is not one of the changes. The problem is the blocking scheme, and lack of discipline. There were some penalties that could not be avoided (around 2) but the rest stem from a lack of discipline. T-Mart is a great athlete who has impressed us all this year, both running and throwing the only thing you can say is that he is incosnitant. FRESHMAN WILL BE INCONSISTANT.

You don't sound like an ass...just stating your opinion matter of factly...

Once again, very valid points... I can honestly see every negative, but I also can see enough positive that I am going to take his side right now.

The comparison wasn't meant to be "athletically", but just stating qualities.. I still think that he is getting bashed for a lot of the qualities that other very good qb's have had....

Yes, I support Taylor Martinez. I am not an apologist. I think he has "athleticism" that we have NOT SEEN at the QB here since Tommie. No, he is not Tommie Frazier, but he does have some of his "make up"..

1. Tommie was cocky...so WAS Taylor, until the injury killed his confidence

2. Tommie was NOT popular among teammates....neither is Taylor

3. Tommie was not a polished passer...ever....Tayor is not "yet"

** Okay, before everyone bashes me for even bringing the names up in the same breath, I know that Tommie WON GAMES AND NC.... and Taylor hasn't !!!! That is not my point.

I am just saying that some of the descriptors using to "bash" T-Mart are the same qualities that Tommie had...

*** When healthy, he was dynamic, even threw the ball well against OSU and MU...

Last night, I was AS PISSED AS ANYONE ON THIS BOARD... but I also, at times , felt that our best offensive play was when Taylor scrambled and tried to make things happen. He was TRYING to make plays. I know he caught a lot of crap for his two attempted shovel passes, but he was trying to make something happen. On the first, I admit, don't understand trying to throw it away on 3rd down, but the second one gave him the ONLY chance to get the ball to Helu. The defender just made a play. Heck, if he would have gotten the ball to Helu, it would have been a great play.

He was given ZERO chance to succeed last night, by Watson. 1st down run vs 8 in box...2nd down hand-off vs 8 in box and 3rd down pass when OL gets blown up...

He has a LONG, LONG way to go before he can lead us to a title, but I will not jump on the "let him transfer" wagon. He needs to grow up and mature into a leader.

Hopefully he learned from this year and will build on it.. He needs to mend fences with teammates and fix some off the so-called "daddy" problems that are circulating.

** So, I do NOT say he is perfect, but I am not going to push all of the blame on him. I am positive that if Turner-Carnes or any other "message board hero" that hasn't taken a snap yet, will struggle during their first year as a starter in the Big 10......especially if they are inured and have an idiot calling plays.

Go ahead, blast away.

Yea but Tommy had a Oline that didn't give up sacks. To think if we had an Oline like that now. Are offense would bull dose over teams. Everyone would be singing praise of T-Magic.

End of the day I think it's remarkable for a freshman to pass for 1500, rush for 1000 and win 10 games. Then you factor in how inconsistent the line and receivers have been, Watson's play calling that can only be described as manslaughter (enjoy being sacked in an empty spread much?) and it's even more amazing.

About the line and sacks though...big difference between the I formation with two blocking backs and a spread formation with an empty backfield or one back that does a chip and run. QBs are going to get hit a lot in spreads no matter how good the line is. But even then it shouldn't be a killing spree...don't know whether it's talent or coaching that's lacking with our line. You could argue that Caputo is a little undersized, Williams has been dealing with injuries all season and Sirles is a freshman. At any rate it's not looking any better next year.

• Fire 2

The kid won us 10 games overall. I know he did not play a couple, but he gave us lot this year. He has not been the same since the Missouri game. He is not healed and may have hurt himself again.

There are a lot of problems with this team on the offensive side. After last night there may be some on the defensive side. We have a control problem, way too many pentalties, almost every game. They play out of control on both sides. This comes directly from the Head coach. Not an attack, but that is what he teaches, just inside the limit, all out. But we have become known for our play and the refs are aware of it. They watch us a little more closely I think.

Taylor did a great job for a Freshman, Dennard Robinson did not fair as well and they are quite similar. But I also feel he is not the QB for the BigTen. He or anyone like him will not survie the season beatings they will get.

Taylor has his problems, more so with the team than his efforts. I hope he is here next year, but we need to do a lot to make him successful. A better line, better play calling. He was continously put in bad situations last nite. That is not his fault. After three years it now lies directly at the feet of Bo. He has to get this team an offense, that we recruit to and for. We do not have it now by any chance.

First of all, comparisons to T Frazier are not what this kid needs right now.

As to the like/dislike/respect factor Tommie had with the team, from what I've heard the "like" came after much of the success, sometimes years after. The respect preceded it because he walked the walk and wouldn't be there if he couldn't do that in TO's eyes. The "dislike" I've heard about stemmed from Tommie's habit of salvaging broken plays or missed assignments into big gains, then promptly coming back to the huddle and calling out the offenders for putting him in that position. Not so sure TMartinez carries that kind of buckshot.

I'd pay money to watch Tommie Frazier break down game film with the current starters on offense sitting in the same room.