What is this team missing?

beanman

If you look at the problem areas this year it's with the qb play and offensive line. I think the coaches see that and are trying to help it by bringing in 5 of the best OL recruits and 2 top 10 nationally ranked QB's both of which can run like Martinez. Watson said himself that Nebraska can't be a good offense with only 1 qb who can run like taylor. but he also said that we can't be a good offense unless we can pass along with the run and that taylor has a long way to go in that area. Watson has stated that RFr Brion carnes is an accurate passer but hasn't said anything about impressing him with the run. I think we are lacking a qb who can pass well and run well. We're just really young with our qb's and have switched our offenses every year for

the last 3 years. We're not normal here. We have been

trying to find an identity for a while now but we have to

settle on something, recruit guys to fit that system, and

then train them up in it. A guy can't develp properly if you switch his role up every year and change what you ask of him. I think we did that with Lee, and with Cody, and now this year if we switch next year. instead of building a scheme around your guys, you need to recruit guys to fit your scheme. We do this some, but on defense, not so much on offense.

I am disappointed that maybe Crick wasn't more vocal on defense. David was not in much of a position to be doing it since he was basically the new kid on the block, just transferring in from a JUCO school...and I am not sure if it would be within his personality to do so.

On Offense, it was well documented how Martinez was more low key, and didn't really want the media hype being brought down on him. There really was nobody else that could have done it other than maybe one of the backs...the offensive line couldn't find themselves much of the time, so nobody there had any room to step up and take the role of leadership. The receivers were either hot or cold, depending on the week. I also have to wonder how much "leadership" they were actually getting from Watson/Cotton and crew? I think Watson has this mentality that the players don't really have to be developed, that he just comes up with a game plan and they should fall in line. More of a "Pro" style, that fit more into Callahan's philosophy IMHO. One more reason that I think Bo needs to look at making some changes on the offensive side of the ball, and bring in someone that CAN and is WILLING to coach during the week leading up to the games. I am just not seeing that now, especially with this offensive line and their play.

This needs to become Bo's team, with his attitude and will to win. I get the feeling that he is dragging the offense along, but not taking a strong role in the decision making/planning. Maybe he needs to step it up there, but I still think we need someone else other than Watson to complete the transition to this being Bo's team. You don't see many NCAA teams where the head coach is taking a back seat on offense, and we are seeing that here - and I do believe it is time to make some changes, or this may not be Bo's team after the 2011 season.

If you look at the problem areas this year it's with the qb play and offensive line. I think the coaches see that and are trying to help it by bringing in 5 of the best OL recruits and 2 top 10 nationally ranked QB's both of which can run like Martinez. Watson said himself that Nebraska can't be a good offense with only 1 qb who can run like taylor. but he also said that we can't be a good offense unless we can pass along with the run and that taylor has a long way to go in that area. Watson has stated that RFr Brion carnes is an accurate passer but hasn't said anything about impressing him with the run. I think we are lacking a qb who can pass well and run well. We're just really young with our qb's and have switched our offenses every year for

the last 3 years. We're not normal here. We have been

trying to find an identity for a while now but we have to

settle on something, recruit guys to fit that system, and

then train them up in it. A guy can't develp properly if you switch his role up every year and change what you ask of him. I think we did that with Lee, and with Cody, and now this year if we switch next year. instead of building a scheme around your guys, you need to recruit guys to fit your scheme. We do this some, but on defense, not so much on offense.

This doesn't mean a lick. You can bring in all the high school talent in the world that are four/five stars, but the inability to coach and improve the players is the ultimate crux. Didn't you see Example A of this situation under Callahan. It is an issue that we beat to death on this board, Callahan brought in talent, he couldn't do squat with it. NU has brought in talent but or QB and OL coach haven't done squat with it. I will go as far and say both positions digressed severely through the season.

As far as recruiting guys to fit your scheme, Wats is still looking for the players to help him decide what he wants to do. The guy has no clue what he wants

We need a throwing quarterback! Teams have found out how to shut down our run game, our only offense

What we need is a Kirk Cousins, Andrew Luck, Kellen Moore, Blaine Gabbert, Brandon Weeden type quarterback. Really accurate at throwing long and short passes

In the summer of 97, Grant Winstrom basically threatened violence against anyone who wouldn't run stadiums with the team on the side.

You tell me who the player on this squad is who could do that.

Who's Grant Winstrom?

Take a kitchen chair and go sit in the corner facing the wall. Stay there you don't belong here.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

In the summer of 97, Grant Winstrom basically threatened violence against anyone who wouldn't run stadiums with the team on the side.

You tell me who the player on this squad is who could do that.

Who's Grant Winstrom?

Take a kitchen chair and go sit in the corner facing the wall. Stay there you don't belong here.

T_O_B

:throwdabones1::bonesflag::throwdabones1:

I don't belong here? Hmm that's odd... I mean, I know who Grant Wistrom is... But I have no clue who the hell Grant Winstrom is... Maybe you'll join me in the corner and explain that one to me.

and of course jason peter who didn't have to threaten anyone: everyone KNEW he'd light chumps up like a candles if they stepped out of line.

i remember reading osborne's book (more than winning, i think) where he described peter just laying into a teammate what was giving way less that a hundred percent. peter pretty much ran the kid over as an object lesson.

though osborne thought peter might have been a tad over zealous in practice, he did appreciate the fact that he had kids on the team who would step up and be leaders and/or enforcers when the coaches weren't around.

kyle vanden bosch is probably the last blackshirt that comes to mind when it comes to leadership. suh, as much of a beast as he was on the field, never struck me as a r. lee ermey-type of modivator.