Bonehead OC's

It is becoming a consensus that the Husker fan base wants Watson out. I do not like the direction of this offense partly because of the poor results, but mostly because I get bored with the zone read. At the beginning of the Rose Bowl I was really enjoying the Wisconsin offense. Talk about smash mouth. But talk about a dumb OC. Last play of the game when they needed two yards they threw or tried to throw a pass. TCU did not stop them once up the middle. The running backs seemed to be possessed up the gut.

It seems that the offensive coordinator position is filled with boneheads all across the country. Currently Rivals has Wats the 16th ranked OC in the country. I think he is going to be here for a long time unless he gets hired away. I do not see a better replacement.

Agreed that the receiver was wide open but the result still was no points. I still couldn't believe it when they lined up in the shotgun!! Hindsight is 20/20 but sometime play callers get to wrapped up in out guessing themselves. When it comes down to one final play I think I would be going with my best stuff.

This one is tough to call....... When they scored, my WIFE (fb coaches daughter and wife...no..not illegaly (ha) ).... and I said that Wisconsin should either run the ball or probably even BETTER a play-action pass. When they came out in Shot gun- off set back, we both yelled "why"?

As soon as the played failed, I said "stoooooopid", but then, obviously on replay, the guy was WIDE OPEN, so the play actually was set up to work...they caught TCU in blitz, so TE was unaccounted for. If TCU stays home, play probably gets covered.... great call against the defense TCU brought.

** but, I still say that Wisconsin would have been better served to line up in I, and run a play-action with fake to Clay (he ran all over on the last drive), and the TCU defense would have over-commited to stop the guy who was killing them.....then sneak a TE out into the flat or across the back of end-zone.... This play always seems to work on goalline with power running teams.

- The other OC blunders that irritate me MORE, is when it is 4th and inches (less than a foot)...explain to me why your QB can't dive into a gap straight ahead...remember, he only needs less than a foot... Instead, when I see teams turn, hand ball 3 yds deep to rb, giving defenses time to penetrate and asking your rb to break through a wall for 3 yds to gain less than a foot...... I have coached for a long time, and it still doesn't make sense when I see it. It will not always work, but percentages say it will more than the alternative. My Steelers do this ALL THE FRIGGIN time on the goal line and they have Big Ben... I scream everytime.

I don't know why people think a goalline situation like that is one where you run it up the gut, every time. I mean, think about what you are saying. If you do that, every time, you are going to get stuffed 8 or 9 times out of 10.

It's not with inches to go here. 2 (or is it 3?) yards is a big difference. If it were sneak territory, that's a different story but it is definitely not sneak territory.

This is why you will see teams pass quite a lot, esp in 2-point situations. You pass quite frequently in these situations just because if the defense sells out to stop the run, you will punish them with a lot of quick strikes through the air. And that sets up the run, too, because it forces defenses not to sell out to stop the run.

It is becoming a consensus that the Husker fan base wants Watson out. I do not like the direction of this offense partly because of the poor results, but mostly because I get bored with the zone read. At the beginning of the Rose Bowl I was really enjoying the Wisconsin offense. Talk about smash mouth. But talk about a dumb OC. Last play of the game when they needed two yards they threw or tried to throw a pass. TCU did not stop them once up the middle. The running backs seemed to be possessed up the gut.

It seems that the offensive coordinator position is filled with boneheads all across the country. Currently Rivals has Wats the 16th ranked OC in the country. I think he is going to be here for a long time unless he gets hired away. I do not see a better replacement.

I felt the same way after that game. And I get the argument that the receiver was open but you know what...the receiver getting open is only part of the play. The oline was having a hard time pass defending so the oc has to take that into consideration. It's 2 bloody yards with the game at stake and you call a play that is NOT the strength of your offense? Really?

Isn't the point to run something the D is not expecting? TCU prob expected the run, which is why they ran the defense they did. I didn't see the play, but people are saying they lined up in shotgun. Throughout the game I saw Wisconsin use the draw from shotgun formation many times with successful results. They could have called that from shoutgun. They could have done QB draw from shotgun. The key is to keep the defense off balance. This is why the receiver was open, because the D wasn't expecting the play call. And for those who say the running game is their strength, it may well be, but Tolzien is no slump by any means. He throws a nice ball and hes a senior. I would want my most experienced player to have the ball in that situation also. The reason our offense is terrible is bc everyone knows the play that is coming before we even break the snap.

Draw plays work better farther out than on the 3 yard line. Lining up in the shotgun basically took one of their most productive players out of the equation. I'm not disagreeing with the pass but probably would have left the qb under center and rolled him out. Then again that may have not worked either. But when you have TCU's defense on it's heels by running right at them I think I would keep doing it.

Isn't the point to run something the D is not expecting? TCU prob expected the run, which is why they ran the defense they did. I didn't see the play, but people are saying they lined up in shotgun. Throughout the game I saw Wisconsin use the draw from shotgun formation many times with successful results. They could have called that from shoutgun. They could have done QB draw from shotgun. The key is to keep the defense off balance. This is why the receiver was open, because the D wasn't expecting the play call. And for those who say the running game is their strength, it may well be, but Tolzien is no slump by any means. He throws a nice ball and hes a senior. I would want my most experienced player to have the ball in that situation also. The reason our offense is terrible is bc everyone knows the play that is coming before we even break the snap.

The point is to call a play with a known high percentage of success. To find where your strength exploits a weakness. If their strength is also your strength then you have to mix it up in order to create mismatches. However Wisconsin was killing them up the gut. Clay is about the same size as TCU's d line. The 320 lb vs 270 lb lineman differential was all the mismatch needed to get that two points. Does this call go down as the all time dumbest call, no not even close, it was well designed and mostly well executed. But it is a great example of OC's out thinking themselves.

The main problem was that Wisconsin tried to get cute with pass plays and running to the sideline, when "up the gut" was there ALL DAY! Why in the world didnt they use their huge OL and 250 lb RB to pound TCU.By the 4th quarter TCUs defense would have been gassesd just like the old Husker Pipeline days. Wisconsin should have been ahead by a couple of TDs and no 2 point conversion would have been needed.