I want THIS offense!!!

The offensive line, thats where it all starts. I'd love to see Bo recruit and develop an O-line like the one Osborne put together in the championship years. It would take this offense miles ahead.

Now that he has the defense pretty well in hand do you think he'll probably go in that direction? Does he do the recruiting with offense or is that left totally up to the OC? Does Dr. Tom ever go on those recruiting trips?

I've also been wondering why Nebraska doesn't recruit more in state kids. Can you imagine how great our team would've been with Danny Woodhead at the helm? He's doing fabulous things in the NFL and NU missed him. How did that happen?

Because there's not that much talent in Nebraska. There's barely any. That's why the SEC has been so dominant, all the "speed" and "athleticism" is down south. With the flux of recruiting talent tilted wayyyy to the south, really they only thing Nebraska has going for it is prestige and tradition, much like Notre Dame, that's why we're on such a slippery slope. When places like Texas and Georgia have a down period it's easier for them to recover because they not only have prestige and tradition, but they have the warm weather and rich recruiting bases. The changing of the times really has dictated why we don't run that offense anymore, why really no one (except for the service academies and Georgia Tech) runs it anymore. The games about speed and preparation now. Speed and preparation are the two most important aspects of defending the option.

But the defense leaves itself open for big plays on passing. Just because you run the option doesn't mean it has to be run heavy it can be balanced.

The offensive line, thats where it all starts. I'd love to see Bo recruit and develop an O-line like the one Osborne put together in the championship years. It would take this offense miles ahead.

Now that he has the defense pretty well in hand do you think he'll probably go in that direction? Does he do the recruiting with offense or is that left totally up to the OC? Does Dr. Tom ever go on those recruiting trips?

I've also been wondering why Nebraska doesn't recruit more in state kids. Can you imagine how great our team would've been with Danny Woodhead at the helm? He's doing fabulous things in the NFL and NU missed him. How did that happen?

Because there's not that much talent in Nebraska. There's barely any. That's why the SEC has been so dominant, all the "speed" and "athleticism" is down south. With the flux of recruiting talent tilted wayyyy to the south, really they only thing Nebraska has going for it is prestige and tradition, much like Notre Dame, that's why we're on such a slippery slope. When places like Texas and Georgia have a down period it's easier for them to recover because they not only have prestige and tradition, but they have the warm weather and rich recruiting bases. The changing of the times really has dictated why we don't run that offense anymore, why really no one (except for the service academies and Georgia Tech) runs it anymore. The games about speed and preparation now. Speed and preparation are the two most important aspects of defending the option.

But the defense leaves itself open for big plays on passing. Just because you run the option doesn't mean it has to be run heavy it can be balanced.

I don't think anyone is going to be more patient with a feast or famine play action dependent offense. What I'm saying is that I think we would have the most success running a pro style offense where we can have a QB who doesn't have to be a superstar (a laTolzien, McElroy, Stanzi) to be successful. You need a pretty special QB to be successful with that spread option stuff. See Pat White, Tim Tebow, Vince Young. JMO

In order to keep things in perspective, I urge you to go back and watch the seven bowl games in a row where we lost. We lost some of those bowl games so bad under TO that some of us wondered whether or not the team even got off the airplane. The 1991 season resulted in us playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up zero points, 82 yards rushing, and 89 yards passing. The 1988 season resulted in up playing Miami in a bowl where our outstanding offense put up three points, 80 yards rushing, and 55 yards passing. I would say we already have that offense down pretty well. When people start being critical of coaches, I think it's always important to understand that even the greats faced their fair share of criticism. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO. There were a lot of fans frustrated with TO's offenses.

Also keep in perspective T.O. was playing for National Championships too. There may have been grumbling but that got passed because T.O. could make to the top and capable. Bo hasn't reached that. They knew what T.O. could do we don't know how good Bo will turn out to be. Now think about this. It took Bob Stoops two years to turn around Oklahoma to win a National Championship. Oklahoma was bad during the 90's.

In neither one of those years mentioned would we have won the NC had we won the bowl game. We didn't even win the Big 8 outright until 1981, and we were a three loss team that year. It wasn't until TO's 11th season that we played for a NC. Another thing to think about is that TO inherited a NC calibur team while Bo inherited the mess Clownahan left. I'm not exactly sure how you can say we knew what TO could do but we don't know how good Bo will turn out. TO thought about leaving Nebraska after he'd coached more years here than BO has coached so far. In all reality if TO would have started coaching at Nebraska thirty or so years later than he did he would have been fired.

Very good post. Agree on all points junior . :clap

I don't think anyone is going to be more patient with a feast or famine play action dependent offense. What I'm saying is that I think we would have the most success running a pro style offense where we can have a QB who doesn't have to be a superstar (a laTolzien, McElroy, Stanzi) to be successful. You need a pretty special QB to be successful with that spread option stuff. See Pat White, Tim Tebow, Vince Young. JMO

saying something like that is downright ignorant im sorry. its a hell of a lot harder to recruit pro style players when 95% of the country is doing the same thing. if only 0.5% of the country is recruiting option/spread option players then you have a much bigger pool to dip into and you have a better shot at getting the players you need instead of settling for other schools leftovers. im sorry dude but that was the worst post ive seen in a long time....

This is why TO had the success he did. If memory serves me correctly, Frazier was only offered schollies to play QB by Nebraska and Notre Dame. Even then, very few teams ran the option. By doing something different than everyone else, we get the best players with the abilities to run this type of offense.

saying something like that is downright ignorant im sorry. its a hell of a lot harder to recruit pro style players when 95% of the country is doing the same thing. if only 0.5% of the country is recruiting option/spread option players then you have a much bigger pool to dip into and you have a better shot at getting the players you need instead of settling for other schools leftovers. im sorry dude but that was the worst post ive seen in a long time....

Disagree with the post, but don't attack the poster, please.

Woodhead woulda been average D-1a talent. He was great in the league he was in, he was a man amongst boys. Just cuz he set all them records at Chadron does not mean he wins a Heisman at Nebraska. His success in the NFL? Tom Brady and Bill Bellichik are 99.3% responsible for it. They took a chance on him, he worked hard, and they use him to his skill set. That's all, (disclaimer-i am NOT a Patriot fan, and i can NOT stand Tom Brady, just calling it like I see it.)

Disagree with the post, but don't attack the poster, please.

guess i thought i was attacking the post, maybe ignorant was not the correct wording to use but i did mean that the post was ignorant to how it actually works not that the poster was as i do believe that the poster tends to make good post. must have come across wrong.

Woodhead woulda been average D-1a talent. He was great in the league he was in, he was a man amongst boys. Just cuz he set all them records at Chadron does not mean he wins a Heisman at Nebraska. His success in the NFL? Tom Brady and Bill Bellichik are 99.3% responsible for it. They took a chance on him, he worked hard, and they use him to his skill set. That's all, (disclaimer-i am NOT a Patriot fan, and i can NOT stand Tom Brady, just calling it like I see it.)

How many Heisman winners are having great careers in the NFL? Hardly any. Danny Woodhead did play for the Jets before the Patriots. Bellicheck doesn't take chances rather he sees talent that everyone else passed by. Tom Brady only had like 7 starts for Michigan and he has won 3 Super Bowls. Believe it or not most top picks in the NFL are busts. A lot of NFL stars went to small college schools. Matt Cassell never played a down for USC but yet stepped in for Tom Brady and went 11-5. Bellicheck was a failure for the Browns. In the Patriots first run of the Super Bowl it was Drew Bledsoe that led them until he got hurt and Brady stepped in.

So you think it's going to be easier to recruit wide receiver to come block for your team and catch 10 passes a year when he could go play for Texas Tech and catch 50 balls a year? You think it's easier to find a Pat White than a Scott Tolzien? 95% of the country is not running pro style. The metaphorical "pool" that you're talking about dipping into...is that QB's or all recruits? I don't think the "pool" for fast spread option QBs is all that deep. Other than QBs, the guys you're recruiting isn't all that different from pro-style to spread to option.

So you think it's going to be easier to recruit wide receiver to come block for your team and catch 10 passes a year when he could go play for Texas Tech and catch 50 balls a year? You think it's easier to find a Pat White than a Scott Tolzien? 95% of the country is not running pro style. The metaphorical "pool" that you're talking about dipping into...is that QB's or all recruits? I don't think the "pool" for fast spread option QBs is all that deep. Other than QBs, the guys you're recruiting isn't all that different from pro-style to spread to option.

Depends on what the recruit wants. If he is just showcasing his talent for NFL then TT would be a better fit. But if you want win a championship like so many recruits do then they would be willing to sacrifice catching to win. A lot of Texas kids go to OU simply because OU wins and plays in big bowls more than Texas.

Depends on what the recruit wants. If he is just showcasing his talent for NFL then TT would be a better fit. But if you want win a championship like so many recruits do then they would be willing to sacrifice catching to win. A lot of Texas kids go to OU simply because OU wins and plays in big bowls more than Texas.

What type of offense are most high school's running these days? Do you think that the recruits look at colleges that run the same offenses that they are used to or do they go with something completely different?

You're right. The spread's the FOTW in college football right now, and the spread is NOT a pro-style offense.