Scott Frost

cerny50

Zoogies....you still haven't answered my question. Why does Bo get to come in and learn how to be a Head Coach but Frost can't come in and learn as OC?

You say "The guy has to start being an OC for one thing, or else he is just the same as any large number of up-and-comer position coaches looking to rise up the ranks." That statement is no different than saying when we hired Bo that, "Bo was no different than a large number or up-and-comer coordinators looking to rise to head coach." Its obvious that you don't want Frost here at Nebraska but it is quite amusing how you are trying to twist this to prove your point of view.

Also, I always heard that Bo and Scott didn't see eye to eye the first go around in regards to bringing Frost in as a defensive coach. Does that surprise anyone? The guy played quarterback in college and doesn't have much experience coaching defense. I would like to think it would be different if Bo brought him in as an offensive coach. I never heard anything about Bo not liking or "hitting it off" with Frost as a person, as in Bo just doesn't like Scott Frost.

True, Frost would have to start being an OC, just like Bo had to start being a DC. When Bo was hired as DC was it because he was totally "seasoned" or was it because Monte Kiffin tagged him as a can't miss young up and comer? How about when Devaney picked TO as OC? If what we're talking about actually happens (longshot) Frost would probably have a few years here as co-OC/qb coach before Beck moved on and he moved up to be OC, so your "2 years experience as offensive coach" qualm would no longer apply. In fact at that point he'd have as much experience as TO did when he became OC.

It's one thing to say "he's not as good, but we want him anyways" and another to say "he is good, and, if great, he could stay at NU for the next ~25 years." I don't know of many (any) other young up and comers who would stay at Nebraska for that long if successful. Bring in the Tulsa guy and how long before he moves on to his next destination? Then what? I think it would be wise to bring somebody in who has shown major promise in the profession and would be devoted to the program long term.

Its a definite possibility down the road. He knows football and knows how to win. He is a "Nebraska" guy in a day and age where there aren't a whole lot of "Nebraska" guys coaching.

He turned his back on "Nebraska" once who's to say he wouldn't do it again?

I said it before Mike Grant helped turn Todd Blythe into what he was at ISU and is a "Nebraska" guy yet nobody is calling for his return.

I dont know how you can say he would be a competent OC "in a few years." What does the guy have to do? Win a National Title? Oh wait he's already done that, 3 times.

I must have missed 2 of those National Titles he won. Also Jason Peter won 3 National Titles would he automatically be a competent DC because of it? Tommie Frazier won 2 and learned from T.O. as well would he be anybodies choice for OC?

Not to mention he has learned from some of the greatest coaches in the country.

Ron Prince?

IMO, the longer that Frost is away from Nebraska the tougher it will be to bring him back here in the future. If Bo isn't willing to bring in Frost, for whatever reason, then Osborne needs to step in and make it happen. You do whatever it takes to get him on the staff.

If T.O. forced Bo to bring him in you can bet Bo wouldn't be the coach the following year. If Frost is such a "Nebraska" guy then it really shouldn't matter how long he is gone. He would want to come back unless it was to take a lesser position. IMO

It's one thing to say "he's not as good, but we want him anyways" and another to say "he is good, and, if great, he could stay at NU for the next ~25 years." I don't know of many (any) other young up and comers who would stay at Nebraska for that long if successful. Bring in the Tulsa guy and how long before he moves on to his next destination? Then what? I think it would be wise to bring somebody in who has shown major promise in the profession and would be devoted to the program long term.

Exactly! Close Thread Please

Zoogies....you still haven't answered my question. Why does Bo get to come in and learn how to be a Head Coach but Frost can't come in and learn as OC?

Sorry about that.

To be completely fair about Bo, that was always a gamble about him as well. The difference is Bo was one of the hottest assistant coaches in the country at the time. Everything he touched turned into defensive gold. With Bo, his learning on the job is a detractor for sure (one we've seen in the spotlight a fair amount this year). As a head coach, he still has a ways to go but his work as a premier defensive coordinator has and probably will continue to overshadow that for a long while.

The thing is, there were very few people of Bo's caliber in the 'coordinators jumping to HC' category in 2007. Can you honestly say the same about Frost, in the 'position coaches jumping to OC' category, in 2010? It isn't that I don't want Frost here at all either, and I only stepped into this thread to wonder what people were thinking when they asked if Bo might not like adding a probable future HC to the staff. I like Frost, but he's coached offense for two years!

Now, when Chip Kelly or someone gives Frost the same tag that guys like Kiffin gave to Bo, then I will start paying attention to the guy's OC prospects. For now all of this seems to be based on little more than Frost being a Nebraska guy. For example, why is fellow co-OC Beck the guy moving on and getting kicked to the curb in that scenario, while Frost becomes OC? Is it because of anything other than Beck not graduating from NU? I think co-OC for a few years, is probably good for him. But I don't know why he'd want to leave another year or two of soaking up what he can under Chip Kelly.

The continuity point is an interesting question. For me, I don't care too much about continuity, I just want the best guy possible. Say Frost co-OCs for a season or two, then becomes OC. Then say he knocks it out of the park for the next two years, and I mean completely out of the park. He's going to parlay that into a HC job. Sorry, but if he's that successful, he isn't sticking around to be OC for 25 years. And if he isn't that successful, do we want him sticking around for 25 years? I think the same is true for just about anyone, in terms of moving up the ladder; it is a mistake to base any decisions on this - my opinion only, of course.

3 National Titles: 95, 97, 2011

Um, Auburn won this year, but even if they didn't, it is Chip Kelley's show. Maybe Frost was a key part to it, or maybe not.

And Frost didn't even play a down in 1995.

3 National Titles: 95, 97, 2011

Um, Auburn won this year, but even if they didn't, it is Chip Kelley's show. Maybe Frost was a key part to it, or maybe not.

And Frost didn't even play a down in 1995.

Oh yeah MAJOR DUH here on my part. Shows how much I cared about the bowls this year. Ill shut up now.

No worries ;) It is a very encouraging sign that Frost is working under Kelly, and I am sure he is picking up invaluable experience there.

I concur with the Zoogmeister.

Too many folks are willing to give Junior the keys to the car at this point.

Lure him back, give him the QB coach job, see how he progresses from there.

Fair enough. It is definitely a tricky situation politically, especially given Beck's Cardinal Mooney ties. I'd be happy with Frost as qb coach, getting ready to replace Beck at OC if Beck should move on to a HC gig or leave with Bo sometime down the line.

I stick by the notion that we shouldn't be afraid to take a risk on a young coach. Also, I think continuity in the coaching staff, if they are getting the job done (obviously), is key to the success of a football program, especially Nebraska's. I don't see Nebraska as a program that will ever be such a hot destination among the best coaches that it can withstand constant turnover.

Our best bet, I think, is to find a staff (or at least staff leaders: HC, OC, DC) that share a vision and are willing to stick around and see it through. Maybe Bo and Beck are willing to stick around and are capable of seeing it through, but what we are dealing with now is a blurry and disjointed vision between Bo and Wats that is definitely not working.

The thing is, there were very few people of Bo's caliber in the 'coordinators jumping to HC' category in 2007. Can you honestly say the same about Frost, in the 'position coaches jumping to OC' category, in 2010? It isn't that I don't want Frost here at all either, and I only stepped into this thread to wonder what people were thinking when they asked if Bo might not like adding a probable future HC to the staff. I like Frost, but he's coached offense for two years!

Now, when Chip Kelly or someone gives Frost the same tag that guys like Kiffin gave to Bo, then I will start paying attention to the guy's OC prospects.

Chip Kelly has said some pretty nice things about Scott Frost. So has Mike Bellotti. He's widely thought of as being an up-and-coming star.

I agree that we shouldn't be afraid to take a risk on a young coach, but people want to give the OC duties (or co-OC duties) to a guy that has 1 total year of experience in an offensive system. His 2 years at Northern Iowa as a linebackers coach and co-defensive coordinator don't really help him much. To them, this "resume" somehow trumps the resumes of VERY qualified and proven OCs at various other levels of Division 1 football...why?

the argument (summarized) up to this point is...

1) (most importantly) he's an NU guy - we graduate about 10 offensive guys a year, so the pool probably totals about 200 people just as qualified as Frost in this area.

2) he's an up-and-comer. Is he? Because he happened to land on the Oregon staff, who happened to go to the NCG this year? That's all it takes?

3) his handling of the Blount incident. not sure how restraining an idiot qualifies him as an OC.

4) Bo got a chance, why shouldn't he? Well, when Bo became DC he'd had 12 years of experience on the defensive side of the ball to Frost's 1 year. By the time Bo became HC he'd had 17 years of coaching experience, including 5 as a coordinator. Not exactly close is it?

5) he won a national title in 97, was on the team in 95, and almost won one in 2011. This just pushed me over the fence. :sarcasm:

6) he's learned from great coachs - Ron Prince, Mark Farley?

I guess I just haven't seen a single argument that has any validity to it. Could he be a good OC? Probably. But nothing qualifies him over the proven OCs already out there IMO.

• Fire 2
If Frost can coach that white kid #23 on Oregon to be a stud

Jeff Maehl

2010 – 77-1076-12

2009 – 53-696-6

2008 – 39-421-5

2007 – 9-118-1

Career – 178-2311-24

Nate Swift

2005 – 45-641-7

2006 – 22-374-2

2007 – 36-520-3

2008 – 63-941-10

Career – 166-2476-22

Swifts stats are pretty much on par with Maehl’s so shouldn’t Teddy Gilmore get the same amount of credit & praise for what he did for Swift as Frost does for Maehl? :dunno

Oregon Receivers 2006 – 2010 (Spread Offense)

With Frost

2010 – 248-3178-31

2009 – 197-2344-16

Average – 223-2761-23.5

Without Frost

2008 – 204-2662-20

2007 – 244-2806-26

2006 – 246-2707-17

Average – 231-2725-21

So basically it would appear that all Frost did with the Oregon receivers is coach them to be the status quo for what the out put had been the previous years before he arrived. <_<