Scott Frost

cerny50

I love this thread. Four pages of nothing but speculation. There's a lot of talk about Frost's qualifications and the fact is, we know next to nothing about them either way. He played for this coach, he coached with that coach, he's like this guy, he's not like that guy... meanwhile, none of us knows anything about anything.

Bottom line is, we're bored or this thread never makes it out of page one. :)

Two weeks from tomorrow tickets for the Spring Game go on sale. :thumbs

I love this thread. Four pages of nothing but speculation. There's a lot of talk about Frost's qualifications and the fact is, we know next to nothing about them either way. He played for this coach, he coached with that coach, he's like this guy, he's not like that guy... meanwhile, none of us knows anything about anything.

such a thread killer. spring game tickets?

:backtotopic

Especially when the "teaching" you are receiving is individualized to you as a player - not generalized to you as a team. What/how Tom Osborne taught his position coaches is very different from what/how he taught his QBs. Apples-Oranges.

I'm sure that working with/for/under great coaches has had some sort of influence on him.

Once again - he hasn't really "worked" with/for/under great coaches. He's worked with a single up and coming coach who hasn't really proven his greatness yet. He's played for a couple great coaches. The "real world" he finds himself in today happened while he was on the field in the 90's. He wasn't even a part of it then.

Hmmm, regarding your college degree (and mine), what we "learned" may not be applicable to the job we take because they could be in different fields or different areas of expertise. (Apples-Oranges)

As far as I know, college football is college football. Are you saying that he did not "work" with these coaches because he "played" for them?? Hmmm, you and the rest of the world must have a different idea about what it means to work with someone. I'm sure that while sitting in a film session with coaches like Walsh, Osborne, and Gill, Frost probably learned ways to break down a defense, pick up on tendencies, and draw up a play. He probably also saw how coaches like these handled players, called plays, and I'm certain that when Turner told him how to run ******* play, he could go tell his players the EXACT same thing and get through to them. I'm sure that the techniques he learned while playing can be taught to other players. Does it make him a great coach, not necessarily. But if I was learning, I would certainly want to learn from the best, whether he was my boss or my coach. Are players going to have to see the "bigger picture" that coaches do, maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, either.

It's kind of like being a parent, just being a kid who had good parents doesn't mean that you are going to be a good parent. But if you are astute, pay attention to what they do, and learn the right and the wrong things from them, you can put what you have learned into practice.

If you don't think that coaches teach players, and players don't learn from them, then you are lost and we need to end this discussion.

Got to love the offseason. Best part about it is the speculation is for a currently filled position with little chance it changes this year. Love it. :ahhhhhhhh

I don't think a couple more years of experience for Frost is going to dramatically change him as a coach, especially if he just stays at Oregon. He's experienced that, and has seen how those coaches run things, and he's seen how a number of other coaches run things. That's the most experience anyone can get before actually becoming an offensive coordinator.

What matters more than his experience is whether he is a good teacher and whether he knows football. We don't know much about that as fans, but we do know he's a pretty bright guy who will learn from his mistakes, that he knows what it takes to win, that he understands the Nebraska football program, and that he's been around a lot of great coaches, including his parents as well as all of the people that have been mentioned throughout this thread.

Experience is nice, but that's all this thread has been about, and if we were to perform a coaching search, I hope to god that's not what the search would be about. I don't care if a guy has been a head coach for a team in the super bowl (cough, Callahan, cough). That experience doesn't necessarily translate to success as offensive coordinator or head coach at Nebraska.

Especially when the "teaching" you are receiving is individualized to you as a player - not generalized to you as a team. What/how Tom Osborne taught his position coaches is very different from what/how he taught his QBs. Apples-Oranges.

I'm sure that working with/for/under great coaches has had some sort of influence on him.

Once again - he hasn't really "worked" with/for/under great coaches. He's worked with a single up and coming coach who hasn't really proven his greatness yet. He's played for a couple great coaches. The "real world" he finds himself in today happened while he was on the field in the 90's. He wasn't even a part of it then.

Hmmm, regarding your college degree (and mine), what we "learned" may not be applicable to the job we take because they could be in different fields or different areas of expertise. (Apples-Oranges)

As far as I know, college football is college football. Are you saying that he did not "work" with these coaches because he "played" for them?? Hmmm, you and the rest of the world must have a different idea about what it means to work with someone. I'm sure that while sitting in a film session with coaches like Walsh, Osborne, and Gill, Frost probably learned ways to break down a defense, pick up on tendencies, and draw up a play. He probably also saw how coaches like these handled players, called plays, and I'm certain that when Turner told him how to run ******* play, he could go tell his players the EXACT same thing and get through to them. I'm sure that the techniques he learned while playing can be taught to other players. Does it make him a great coach, not necessarily. But if I was learning, I would certainly want to learn from the best, whether he was my boss or my coach. Are players going to have to see the "bigger picture" that coaches do, maybe, maybe not. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out, either.

It's kind of like being a parent, just being a kid who had good parents doesn't mean that you are going to be a good parent. But if you are astute, pay attention to what they do, and learn the right and the wrong things from them, you can put what you have learned into practice.

If you don't think that coaches teach players, and players don't learn from them, then you are lost and we need to end this discussion.

We need to end this discussion because after 4 pages the "Frost for OC" argument so far totals: he went to NU, he's an up-and-comer and we need to get him quick, he restrained Blount, won a title as QB in 97, played for a great coach in a west-coast system as an 18/19 year old, transfered and played for a great coach in an option system in 97 where he learned how to break down defenses using an offense we don't run. Then played some special teams for Parcels...then coached under a crappy coach (Prince) and another crappy coach (Farley) on defense, before finally coaching a couple years under an up and coming coach who just happens to run the offense we "may" run next year. But with our track record will probably be entirely different by the first game of the season to ensure it's "multiplicity"

• Fire 1

Time to get Frost on the staff. IMO he could fit the bill for a promotion here as receivers coach plus recruiting coordinator (he has four :star :star :star :star recruits right now for Oregon's class). Gilmore can exit (why does he have an assistant head coach tag?). I would give that tag to Beck. Get an offensive coordinator and Oline coach as we all know. But IMO Frost can recruit receivers which is one area of recruiting we have not done well in. Frost is not the biggest piece of the puzzle but an important one.

I'm with you on Frost. I get somewhat humored by the folks that say that Scott doesn't have enough experience. Look at who he has mixed with in his career thus far ... look at who he can recruit ... and my God, he is the WR coach on the team that played for the championship. Isn't that a statement? We know who this kid was as a player, we know his character, we know his heart bleeds RED.

You would think one would do whatever they could to get him on the staff, not excuses why it can't work. From Scott's perspective, I would think he would take a lateral move, possible even a reduced role to get here ... knowing the opportunity down the road to coach at Nebraska ... atleast, that's how I would look at it if in the same position.

SheepdogMark

So I keep reading stuff on Frost and from other posts on this board about how our offense is going in the direction of Oregon's, etc. So again I say, why are we not bringing in Frost? Not as the OC but straight up replaces Gilmore as WR's coach and recruiting coordinator giving him a promotion from Oregon. This would also be a big signal about a revamped offense and that we are serious about getting WR recruits in here to run an important role in this offense. We could definitely start pulling athletic WR's in here from Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, etc. This is too easy, folks.

Time to get Frost on the staff. IMO he could fit the bill for a promotion here as receivers coach plus recruiting coordinator (he has four :star :star :star :star recruits right now for Oregon's class). Gilmore can exit (why does he have an assistant head coach tag?). I would give that tag to Beck. Get an offensive coordinator and Oline coach as we all know. But IMO Frost can recruit receivers which is one area of recruiting we have not done well in. Frost is not the biggest piece of the puzzle but an important one.

I'm with you on Frost. I get somewhat humored by the folks that say that Scott doesn't have enough experience. Look at who he has mixed with in his career thus far ... look at who he can recruit ... and my God, he is the WR coach on the team that played for the championship. Isn't that a statement? We know who this kid was as a player, we know his character, we know his heart bleeds RED.

You would think one would do whatever they could to get him on the staff, not excuses why it can't work. From Scott's perspective, I would think he would take a lateral move, possible even a reduced role to get here ... knowing the opportunity down the road to coach at Nebraska ... atleast, that's how I would look at it if in the same position.

SheepdogMark

So I keep reading stuff on Frost and from other posts on this board about how our offense is going in the direction of Oregon's, etc. So again I say, why are we not bringing in Frost? Not as the OC but straight up replaces Gilmore as WR's coach and recruiting coordinator giving him a promotion from Oregon. This would also be a big signal about a revamped offense and that we are serious about getting WR recruits in here to run an important role in this offense. We could definitely start pulling athletic WR's in here from Texas, Ohio, Illinois, Missouri, etc. This is too easy, folks.

Yeah, I'd like to see that happen.

SheepdogMark

Yeah, I'd like to see that happen.

Likewise - but I think we've come to the conclusion that Frost wouldn't take a lateral move from a national championship caliber team (with a goose that craps golden eggs) to one in perpetual rebuilding mode on 1 side of the ball.

I would just like to point out this thread wasn't built on speculation, but rather it was built on a coach who some would to see brought into the program b/c we think he could be a very good coach, probably outside Turner Gill the best coach out there now with Nebraska ties and some say one of the best up and coming coaches.

I would just like to point out this thread wasn't built on speculation, but rather it was built on a coach who some would to see brought into the program b/c we think he could be a very good coach, probably outside Turner Gill the best coach out there now with Nebraska ties and some say one of the best up and coming coaches.

The second bolded part is speculation. How do we know that's true? How can you quantify "best coach?"

The second bolded part is speculation. How do we know that's true? How can you quantify "best coach?"

I just didn't really think of any other coaches out there that had Nebraska ties that were at coaching levels like they are, whether they played here or coached here for a decent period of time. It really wasn't built on speculation that Frost would come here just a guy that a lot of ppl on here would like to see coach here, not saying he will just we wouldn't mind him on the staff. :thumbs

I just didn't really think of any other coaches out there that had Nebraska ties that were at coaching levels like they are, whether they played here or coached here for a decent period of time. It really wasn't built on speculation that Frost would come here just a guy that a lot of ppl on here would like to see coach here, not saying he will just we wouldn't mind him on the staff. :thumbs

Once again..."Nebraska ties" are the first item on the job description in the eyes of another fan...sigh* I hate this thread with a passion yet can't stop posting because deep down I know when the day comes to replace Watson, Nebraska fans would choose a guy like Frost over someone like Malzahn just because of Frost's 97 season. So incrediably frustrating to me.

• Fire 1