NU v. Colorado

Sipple had a decent blurb on LITR about the game. He was disappointed in last night's turnout. He mentioned:

Make no mistake, it's always easy to be skeptical about Husker hoops. But I think a lot of people watching Nebraska on this night sensed Doc's program may be gathering some legitimate momentum. Something that could hold our interest until mid-March. We'll see.

I've always said to myself, "I'll care about UNL hoops when UNL cares about UNL hoops."

Maybe that time is now?

I'll admit, I'm not much of a basketball fan. I've been to a number of women's games in the past few years taking my family, but I think I've been to maybe two men's basketball games in the 22 years I've lived in Lincoln. In those 22 years there just hasn't been much to cheer about. I'm a Chicago Bulls fan, and aside from the Jordan Years in the 90s, I barely watch them. Never watch the NBA, rarely watch college hoops, and only follow March Madness to see how my brackets are doing.

I think a lot of Husker fans are this way. We're the Kansas Football Fans of basketball. Frankly, we just haven't had much to cheer about for.... ever. I think the last time I really paid attention to the Huskers (read: had any reason to pay attention to them) was back in the days of the Polish Rifle.

So I ask you, B-Ball followers - is it time? Has Doc built a team that won't utterly collapse on me, wasting my time?

Well, i missed the biggest game of the year because of stupid night class.

Some things that i want to say tho:

This team is different then past years for a few reasons:Multiple leaders, getting clutch scoring from a few guys, even stronger defense.

I am not saying we are great, but wins over Colorado and Iowa State give me hope.

The one thing that excites me is Toney McCray.. can i get an AMEN for him finally playing well. Doc is giving Toney a chance and he is actually playing HARD.

Lance is the leader, Toney is the scorer and Caleb/richardson/drake are the side dishes.

Sipple had a decent blurb on LITR about the game. He was disappointed in last night's turnout. He mentioned:

Make no mistake, it's always easy to be skeptical about Husker hoops. But I think a lot of people watching Nebraska on this night sensed Doc's program may be gathering some legitimate momentum. Something that could hold our interest until mid-March. We'll see.

I've always said to myself, "I'll care about UNL hoops when UNL cares about UNL hoops."

Maybe that time is now?

I'll admit, I'm not much of a basketball fan. I've been to a number of women's games in the past few years taking my family, but I think I've been to maybe two men's basketball games in the 22 years I've lived in Lincoln. In those 22 years there just hasn't been much to cheer about. I'm a Chicago Bulls fan, and aside from the Jordan Years in the 90s, I barely watch them. Never watch the NBA, rarely watch college hoops, and only follow March Madness to see how my brackets are doing.

I think a lot of Husker fans are this way. We're the Kansas Football Fans of basketball. Frankly, we just haven't had much to cheer about for.... ever. I think the last time I really paid attention to the Huskers (read: had any reason to pay attention to them) was back in the days of the Polish Rifle.

So I ask you, B-Ball followers - is it time? Has Doc built a team that won't utterly collapse on me, wasting my time?

Don't waste your time if you didn't follow the huskers during their run in the 90's I'm not sure what you want. Sounds to me if the teams are not winning you could care less.

Maybe that time is now?

Knapp, and others...

I do believe now is the time. My family has been going, but just pulled the trigger on season tickets - because we're damn sure going to be priority folks when the new Arena fires up! (Admit it, these cold nights, awful traffic, awful parking, and the Devany setting roughly on the South Dakota border don't help! - many were very late getting to the game because of the snarls.)

My prediction is that all is coming together in the perfect storm (or my hope at least). A fantastic new arena surrounded by restaurants, bars, plazas, parking garages, large boulevards, & enclosed walkways to it all... combine that with a new practice facility, a bunch of fire-pissers on the floor, and some success ... BOOM!

This place loves, i mean loves its college sports, and hoops will explode!

here's hoping...

Knapp, and others...

I do believe now is the time. My family has been going, but just pulled the trigger on season tickets - because we're damn sure going to be priority folks when the new Arena fires up! (Admit it, these cold nights, awful traffic, awful parking, and the Devany setting roughly on the South Dakota border don't help! - many were very late getting to the game because of the snarls.)

My prediction is that all is coming together in the perfect storm (or my hope at least). A fantastic new arena surrounded by restaurants, bars, plazas, parking garages, large boulevards, & enclosed walkways to it all... combine that with a new practice facility, a bunch of fire-pissers on the floor, and some success ... BOOM!

here's hoping...

This is what I'm thinking. We're FINALLY starting to put some effort into our hoops program, and after years (and years and years) of not caring, the school is ready to make something of this team. And it's about time. We've had a hoops program for 114 years, and for the most part, it's been an afterthought. If we're going to put the effort into building a decent team, which it appears like we're trying to do with the new arena, now's the time to jump on the bandwagon.

This is our basketball history. It's just pitiful:

While the University of Nebraska has experienced varying amounts of success for their intercollegiate athletic programs, men's basketball has been an exception. NU hasn't won a conference title since sharing the Big Eight Conference with Kansas and Kansas State in 1950, and they haven't won an outright conference title since going a perfect 12-0 through the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletics Association in 1916.

Nebraska has the distinction of being one of only three BCS programs to have never won a single game in the NCAA Tournament, with Northwestern and South Florida completing the list. In fact, in the over 90 years of varsity competition at the University, the first trip to the NCAA Tournament for Nebraska did not come until 1986.

Wikipedia

Knapp, and others...

here's hoping...

This is what I'm thinking. We're FINALLY starting to put some effort into our hoops program, and after years (and years and years) of not caring, the school is ready to make something of this team. And it's about time. We've had a hoops program for 114 years, and for the most part, it's been an afterthought. If we're going to put the effort into building a decent team, which it appears like we're trying to do with the new arena, now's the time to jump on the bandwagon.

This is our basketball history. It's just pitiful:

While the University of Nebraska has experienced varying amounts of success for their intercollegiate athletic programs, men's basketball has been an exception. NU hasn't won a conference title since sharing the Big Eight Conference with Kansas and Kansas State in 1950, and they haven't won an outright conference title since going a perfect 12-0 through the Missouri Valley Intercollegiate Athletics Association in 1916.

Nebraska has the distinction of being one of only three BCS programs to have never won a single game in the NCAA Tournament, with Northwestern and South Florida completing the list. In fact, in the over 90 years of varsity competition at the University, the first trip to the NCAA Tournament for Nebraska did not come until 1986.

Wikipedia

Knapp,

Can HB help the effort by giving 'HOOPS' it's own forum?

Just a thought...

Re: Diaz's play last night.

- He did a better job finishing around the basket, but he is still extremely weak inside when it comes to rebounding. Even against a team where he has a height advantage. It comes down to leverage, strength and explosiveness. It only takes a 6'4" guy with a 24 inch vertical and they can out board him. He has a decent touch around the hoop, but stronger or more explosive players will be aggressive with him and cause him to falter.

Re: Rooting for Nebrasketball

Nebraska basketball certainly has something worth rooting for this year. Watching them is frustrating at times, but they play great D and fight. Jeter is a leader that Doc hasn't had since he has been here and it's completely evident on the court when he is playing point, which is really fun to watch in it's own right. Mccray is finally showing some flashes. If he can stay healthy and give 100% effort every game he COULD be a viable scoring option... but he still isn't that guy thats going to create plays on any given possession... yet. The dynamic scoring option is the main thing missing from this team right now. I wish Doc and crew could recruit some impact players, but chicken vs. egg

IMO - Enjoy Nebrasketball this year, as I am afraid the loss of Jeter and us joining the brutal big 10 next year will be extremely difficult for us to stay excited about the team for too terribly long. Our bigs will be better, but still average. Almeida will trim some fat and put it on Diaz's plate which will help and Mccray will be a 15 ppg guy, but we will be missing a true distributer/ball handler at point.

Yes, now is the time. Actually - I know this isn't going to make sense to most people - but I believe the last half of last year was the time. Say what you want about Doc having 4 years, last year is when he finally started finding guys that are players almost good enough athletically to play in the Big XII while also willing to work like he wants. Having a guy around like Ryan Anderson was great, he tried to be a leader as best he could and honestly was just enough to hold the extremely young guys together through the harsh storm that was last season.

The coaching staff change-up and commitment made to hoops (practice facility, then an arena) were huge. A few of us could see it falling into place (not that any of us are any smarter than others, just that we were dumb enough to continue to follow such a bad team!). When Doc was at UTEP and TTech he actually had good talent... and it was HIM leading the recruiting charge at both places. Now that Doc has two more good recruiters on staff (not to mention they come from Big 10 country, so after the move they'll be even better) and a practice facility and arena to sell, this team should take off.

I should note, this is not me over-reacting to one win over a decent Colorado team; I've been saying this same thing over and over to anyone who will listen for at least a year and a half now. I'm also not saying Nebraska is going to become a powerhouse, BUT they will be better from here on out. They'll still have bad seasons, but consecutive years of being basement dwellers should be nearly over.

Honestly I didn't know if we'd see a great turn around yet this year, I though it might be another year or two away still, but it could be happening sooner than I expected. There's still a lot of season left, but right now it's looking to be a fun ride.

Don't discount this team next year just because Jeter is gone. That's a big loss, sure. But all three freshman coming in could make some impact next year and Bo Spencer is the real deal, no question about it. From a Nebraska player: "He's good. I don't know how he ended up here, but he's good." I'm also very curious to see if Doc pulls off one more solid commit. I'm not saying count on it, but I think it's worth watching.

Yes, now is the time. Actually - I know this isn't going to make sense to most people - but I believe the last half of last year was the time. Say what you want about Doc having 4 years, last year is when he finally started finding guys that are players almost good enough athletically to play in the Big XII while also willing to work like he wants. Having a guy around like Ryan Anderson was great, he tried to be a leader as best he could and honestly was just enough to hold the extremely young guys together through the harsh storm that was last season.

The coaching staff change-up and commitment made to hoops (practice facility, then an arena) were huge. A few of us could see it falling into place (not that any of us are any smarter than others, just that we were dumb enough to continue to follow such a bad team!). When Doc was at UTEP and TTech he actually had good talent... and it was HIM leading the recruiting charge at both places. Now that Doc has two more good recruiters on staff (not to mention they come from Big 10 country, so after the move they'll be even better) and a practice facility and arena to sell, this team should take off.

I should note, this is not me over-reacting to one win over a decent Colorado team; I've been saying this same thing over and over to anyone who will listen for at least a year and a half now. I'm also not saying Nebraska is going to become a powerhouse, BUT they will be better from here on out. They'll still have bad seasons, but consecutive years of being basement dwellers should be nearly over.

Honestly I didn't know if we'd see a great turn around yet this year, I though it might be another year or two away still, but it could be happening sooner than I expected. There's still a lot of season left, but right now it's looking to be a fun ride.

Don't discount this team next year just because Jeter is gone. That's a big loss, sure. But all three freshman coming in could make some impact next year and Bo Spencer is the real deal, no question about it. From a Nebraska player: "He's good. I don't know how he ended up here, but he's good." I'm also very curious to see if Doc pulls off one more solid commit. I'm not saying count on it, but I think it's worth watching.

Totally forgot about bo spencer. That makes me feel much better.

Hopefully he keeps his academics in line, that would be a huge boost for this team next year. The only incoming freshman that could potentially fill the void left at PG looks like Corey Hilliard, but even so it's hard to replace the leadership of Jeter.

Bo Spencer is the real deal, no question about it. From a Nebraska player: "He's good. I don't know how he ended up here, but he's good." I'm also very curious to see if Doc pulls off one more solid commit. I'm not saying count on it, but I think it's worth watching.

Isn't it terrible that everyone says things like this? Isn't it worse because it's true? We've had some really neat, fun players here before, but most all of them have been lacking in the skill department. It would be really nice if the new facilities could bring in the players we've been hoping for all this time.

Bo Spencer is the real deal, no question about it. From a Nebraska player: "He's good. I don't know how he ended up here, but he's good." I'm also very curious to see if Doc pulls off one more solid commit. I'm not saying count on it, but I think it's worth watching.

Isn't it terrible that everyone says things like this? Isn't it worse because it's true? We've had some really neat, fun players here before, but most all of them have been lacking in the skill department. It would be really nice if the new facilities could bring in the players we've been hoping for all this time.

This is so true. The worst part - and it's so bad you just have to laugh at it - is that it's terrible that anyone can say this and it's true, but a PLAYER actually ON THE TEAM says something like this :facepalm: ... this program still has a way to go! But they're getting there.

Totally forgot about bo spencer. That makes me feel much better.

Hopefully he keeps his academics in line, that would be a huge boost for this team next year. The only incoming freshman that could potentially fill the void left at PG looks like Corey Hilliard, but even so it's hard to replace the leadership of Jeter.

I'm hoping the younger guys are watching and paying attention to the play of Jeter... closely. There may be some who are reluctant to 'take him on' in that role this year, or simply waiting their turn - but i'm hoping they are seeing the value of the real fireplug on the floor. You can almost see the look in Derek's eye's when he has the thought, "that's enough of this sh*t!" and starts to just physically take people on.

...we may just have to call that position 'the Jeter'.