Texas just screwed the B12

da skers

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/highereducation/entries/2011/01/19/ut_espn_reach_20year_300_milli.html

The University of Texas has struck a 20-year, $300 million deal with ESPN for a new, 24-hour network that will broadcast Longhorn sports and some non-athletic content such as campus musical performances.

They'll get their share of the B12 moneys which will be anywhere from 15-20 million and now an estimated 12.5 million from Bevo TV. But what this really does is weaken the B12 TV deal next time it is negotiated. ESPN will already have the rights to Texas and besides OU there really isn't a TV draw left. This will totally screw the B12 and any chance they could have a B12 network. This is why they wouldn't sign their TV rights over to the B12. I look for them to go independent in the next 2-5 years now and screw the B12 even more.

I hope KU's talks with the Big East continue and they get to say "see ya" on their own terms.

They've been working on this since last summer. Texas is looking out for Texas, which isn't wrong. The ignorance in this whole thing is that the other nine schools have been tramping along behind Texas like good little ducklings, apparently hoping that all will end well. It's a foolish plan, and I hope, for their sakes, that teams like Missouri, Iowa State and Kansas are actively looking for a new home. It's not like Texas has any incentive to negotiate anything that would be favorable to them.

They're a five-win team this year, in one sport, a sport where they were in the MNC game last year. Texas is not really analogous to Notre Dame here. Texas is a perennial power in a huge football state with several large media markets and a broader national appeal. It's a pretty smart deal for ESPN in football alone.

But the Longhorns also typically excel at men's hoops, women's volleyball, baseball and a few other Olympic sports. They have a darned good athletic program down in Austin, and they'll have no trouble filling air time. Heck, I'd like the Bevo network just to watch their women's VB matches.

• Fire 1

Maybe now it will become even more obvious why we left when we had the chance. All the other schools mad about us leaving probably just had an "ahhhh" moment.

Well maybe not, but this just solidifies how great this move for the university was. As if it wasn't great before, this article just made me smile.

Suckers.

Maybe now it will become even more obvious why we left when we had the chance. All the other schools mad about us leaving probably just had an "ahhhh" moment.

Well maybe not, but this just solidifies how great this move for the university was. As if it wasn't great before, this article just made me smile.

Suckers.

Last years almost deal with the PAC-10 was the "ahhhhh" moment for those not included...they were just mad because we were able to get out of this situation.

Over/Under on how long the B12 lasts now?

Prevailing wisdom has always been under five years. It's no secret that Missouri wants out. It's no secret that A&M is tired of Texas' shenanigans. Kansas has a marketable basketball program and Oklahoma has a marketable athletic program in several sports. If Texas decides to go independent (which they could likely afford with frequent BCS trips and this network), the conference will implode.

Funny thing about that, though - Texas will NOT want to pay the exit fee for leaving the Big XII, so look for them to splinter the conference first. This deal, long in the making, could be yet another wedge in the stump.

Prevailing wisdom has always been under five years. It's no secret that Missouri wants out. It's no secret that A&M is tired of Texas' shenanigans. Kansas has a marketable basketball program and Oklahoma has a marketable athletic program in several sports. If Texas decides to go independent (which they could likely afford with frequent BCS trips and this network), the conference will implode.

Funny thing about that, though - Texas will NOT want to pay the exit fee for leaving the Big XII, so look for them to splinter the conference first. This deal, long in the making, could be yet another wedge in the stump.

Before it was made official with Nebraska, there was WIDE talk of Mizzou joining the Big Ten. Maybe they join us when the Big 12 falls apart. I'm sure we are still going to pursue making it a even number amount of teams in the conference so it probably wouldn't just stop with Mizz, possibly ND or OU could join too since there was a bit of speculation of them joining too

If they go indy, won't it be more difficult for texa$$ to make BCS bowls without the automatic bid? Or will the BCS put a "Notre Dame" rule in place for them? I would think that scheduling will be difficult for them, too. But I guess they can just schedule 12 wins a year.

Well, I guess they won't have to worry about losing the Big 12 championship to OU every year now.