Texas just screwed the B12

da skers

I can't find it right now, but we were exploring the viability of our own channel a while ago. Like last year, or within the last few years.

It's not evil that Texas did this, or that anyone else wants to. It's good business. I'd love to have a Husker channel. I'd watch more TV, that's for sure.

Maybe this is good business, but I would have truly enjoyed the Big 12 Network, much more than I'd enjoy a Nebraska network. Wouldn't have made as much money for Texas, but it would have made more money for the conference in general. I also would have sincerely enjoyed watching the other non-sports programming from Nebraska and the other universities. It would have been fantastic publicity for those departments, and the interaction between university departments would have increased tenfold after being able to see on television what their conference partners were up to.

Pedy had this in the works but at the time the costs were too prohibitive. Ironically the B12 wanted its own network about the time the B10 went live with theirs but NU and Texas were the driving forces that killed it because they both wanted their own network. We just couldn't find a way to make it happen. I think unfortunately they were wanting NET to kind of partner and public TV doesn't have the resources. Had Fox known what the hell it was doing a bit better we could have partnered with it but they were worried about the expense with the number of TV sets in Nebraska.

The scary thing to me if I were in the B12 would be that when they were saying they were going to do this Bevo TV it was presented as a Texas only network. It wasn't going to be available outside of that region. Now its potentially a national channel. That will be a much bigger advantage than before in $$, recruiting, etc.

Watch the haves and the haves less start to bicker some.

The scary thing to me if I were in the B12 would be that when they were saying they were going to do this Bevo TV it was presented as a Texas only network. It wasn't going to be available outside of that region. Now its potentially a national channel. That will be a much bigger advantage than before in $$, recruiting, etc.

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying, but you are also forgetting one main point. Its Texas. They all ready have the pick of the little of talent. They dont recruit in texas as much as they select. They have to hold 2 JR days to hold all the top level talent that wants to visit. They all ready have a national eye and all ready get their pick of the best players from the best football state with the most talent in the country.

Thank goodness there are scholly limits or else they would have a huge advantage like you are saying. But as it currently is I dont see that much more changing with just Texas. How it effects the rest of the 9 teams left is the biggest question. And the vast majority of games for the 2 money making sports will be up for bid with all the games from those two sports for the other 9 teams. So i am not sure yet what will come of it. The only thing I think we know for certain at this point is that the richest Athletic department in the country just added another 20 Million a year to that total. that and there will be plenty of fresh towels and good toliet paper in their locker rooms for sure now.

I can't find it right now, but we were exploring the viability of our own channel a while ago. Like last year, or within the last few years.

It's not evil that Texas did this, or that anyone else wants to. It's good business. I'd love to have a Husker channel. I'd watch more TV, that's for sure.

I remember an article saying we were about a year ahead of Texas in the planning/implementation of this and had it been pushed it could have been running for the 2011 season, but that was scrapped w/ the move to Big10.

AngryDad mentioned it on Huskermax here.

Also, I have Big10 Network - anyone else think it's kind of a dud? During football season it isn't too bad...but I'm essentially paying $50 a year for 3 Husker games, and reruns of some of the games that have already been played.

That's my quote, not da skers'. ;)

And I haven't watched much BTN yet. It's not terribly exciting to me right now. I presume that will change when we start playing on it. I'll certainly watch VB and BB games when they're televised. I can't wait to watch Nebraska volleyball play @Penn State, @Illinois, @Minnesota and @Michigan. Top to bottom, the Big 10 is a better VB conference than the Big XII. That'll be great fun to watch.

I remember an article saying we were about a year ahead of Texas in the planning/implementation of this and had it been pushed it could have been running for the 2011 season, but that was scrapped w/ the move to Big10.

AngryDad mentioned it on Huskermax here.

Also, I have Big10 Network - anyone else think it's kind of a dud? During football season it isn't too bad...but I'm essentially paying $50 a year for 3 Husker games, and reruns of some of the games that have already been played.

Direct TV has it as part of its stand package. I've had it for 2 years.

There is a lot of truth to what you are saying, but you are also forgetting one main point. Its Texas. They all ready have the pick of the little of talent. They dont recruit in texas as much as they select. They have to hold 2 JR days to hold all the top level talent that wants to visit. They all ready have a national eye and all ready get their pick of the best players from the best football state with the most talent in the country.

Thank goodness there are scholly limits or else they would have a huge advantage like you are saying. But as it currently is I dont see that much more changing with just Texas. How it effects the rest of the 9 teams left is the biggest question. And the vast majority of games for the 2 money making sports will be up for bid with all the games from those two sports for the other 9 teams. So i am not sure yet what will come of it. The only thing I think we know for certain at this point is that the richest Athletic department in the country just added another 20 Million a year to that total. that and there will be plenty of fresh towels and good toliet paper in their locker rooms for sure now.

Yes.. . Texas has great HS football talent and they can grab what they need there for the most part but until Mac came on board they were an up and down team. It wasn't always like that. They've had a good last 10 years. But that will change if A&M bolts to the SEC. They'll have a much better chance of landing the people UT does now. This solidifies that future some. It also bothers them they aren't a "the national team of college football" and they've really tried to gear themselves that way the past 5-6 years. They want to be the Dallas Cowboys of college ball.

I can't find it right now, but we were exploring the viability of our own channel a while ago. Like last year, or within the last few years. It's not evil that Texas did this, or that anyone else wants to. It's good business. I'd love to have a Husker channel. I'd watch more TV, that's for sure.
I remember an article saying we were about a year ahead of Texas in the planning/implementation of this and had it been pushed it could have been running for the 2011 season, but that was scrapped w/ the move to Big10.AngryDad mentioned it on Huskermax here.Also, I have Big10 Network - anyone else think it's kind of a dud? During football season it isn't too bad...but I'm essentially paying $50 a year for 3 Husker games, and reruns of some of the games that have already been played.

$50/yr. is a lot better than the $40/game Nebraska fans had to shell out thrice this season. $50 < $120 :thumbs

And someone asked earlier about Nebraska content this summer. I think as soon as we're a Big 10 member (was it June or July 1st?) they said they will run old Nebraska content, just like old pre-Big 10 Penn State content is shown.

Hell, if we see even one 'Husker victory that isn't the GotC, that's one more than ESPN will have shown for us in the past five years. That alone makes the B10Network better.

• Fire 1

I sat in front of Bill Snyder Family Stadium before the Husker game this year and just listened as purple clad fans lobbed insults at the 50 or so of us sitting there. It was nothing harsh, just lame. One moron kept saying...'Good luck in the Pac 10...losers, traitors'. It went on for about 30 seconds.

Finally someone said 'It's the Big 10 moron' and that ended everything.

At that point, I couldn't help but think that if Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State are not planning some kind of exit strategy, they are truly playing russian roulette. There is now no North/South and they have/will become so insignificant that they will eventually be an extension of pre conference schedule for the 'South' teams.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and aTm probably won't have a hard time finding homes, but I think the rest of the old 'Big 8' crew may struggle if they don't decide to be proactive.

I sat in front of Bill Snyder Family Stadium before the Husker game this year and just listened as purple clad fans lobbed insults at the 50 or so of us sitting there. It was nothing harsh, just lame. One moron kept saying...'Good luck in the Pac 10...losers, traitors'. It went on for about 30 seconds.

Finally someone said 'It's the Big 10 moron' and that ended everything.

At that point, I couldn't help but think that if Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State and Iowa State are not planning some kind of exit strategy, they are truly playing russian roulette. There is now no North/South and they have/will become so insignificant that they will eventually be an extension of pre conference schedule for the 'South' teams.

Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and aTm probably won't have a hard time finding homes, but I think the rest of the old 'Big 8' crew may struggle if they don't decide to be proactive.

Kansas has been in talks with the Big East, this much I know.

Here is a good link to Bevo TV. I got a chuckle.

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/slant/201101/longhorn-network-programming-schedule

If Turner Gill has any chance at all of surviving at Kansas, he better hope and pray that Kansas does indeed end up in the Big East.

Still think Kansas is a better candidate than Missouri for future Big 10 expansion--while folks thought Kansas and K-State were tethered together, Kansas' continued dalliance with the Big East affirms that they can strike out on their own without repercussions from the state legislature.

This alone should have Missouri concerned--while another poster did point out that Missouri may have better academics according to some services, Kansas had handily achieved more on the court, and it can be argued that Kansas has done more than Missouri in football as well.

And just to be honest, if you could pick one or the other to come into the Big 10, you'd be all over Kansas in a heartbeat--while we may lose to them on the court, they'd be a layup on our conference football schedule in a conference that have many easy wins.

Aside from football, who would want to watch this channel? Did anyone see the quote where they will be airing plays and musical performances for several hours a day? Who wants to watch that?

This guy:

longhorns.jpg

Hmmm...I always thought that was a girl

Both win . . . you do know what a steer is?