New Commit

By BRIAN CHRISTOPHERSON / Lincoln Journal Star | Posted: Friday, January 28, 2011 11:00 pm

Font Size:

Default font size

Larger font size

Joe Carter (Scout.com)

Related Stories

Husker verbal commitment list

Related Links

Video: 2011 recruiting 'sleepers'

Reporters kept calling Joe Carter on Friday night. They kept asking him how it felt to be committed to Nebraska.

He laughed a bit at that.

"I've been committed to Nebraska. I just never came out and said it."

Yep. The 6-foot-5, 255-pound juco defensive end said he's been committed to the Huskers for about a month now.

Whenever the pledge was made doesn't really matter. The fact that Carter is planning to sign with NU on Wednesday does. He is the 17th known recruit in this Husker class.

Carter joins fellow Chaffey (Calif.) Community College teammate Daimion Stafford, a safety, as Husker recruits.

"We got the same goals on our minds, and we got competition on our minds," Carter said. "I just wanted to go to a good school. ... We've both got two years (to play). And Nebraska kept it straight with us."

Carter had been publicly committed to Arizona, but there was great speculation and strong hints by the defensive end himself that he was leaning Nebraska's way.

Carter said he appreciated the approach by NU's coaches during the recruiting process.

"They're cool and they're straightforward," he said. "They just keep it real. They aren't going to (BS) you or nothing."

Reach Brian Christopherson at bchristopherson@journalstar.com or 473-7439.

Do you think this is somewhat why we didn't get Lake?

Yes, it has alot to do with that.

Actually, I don't think that had any thing to do with it. The coaches would have loved to get both Lake and Carter. Lake just straight up decided to go to Oregon.

I trust your word sker. :thumbs

Do you think this is somewhat why we didn't get Lake?

Yes, it has alot to do with that.

Actually, I don't think that had any thing to do with it. The coaches would have loved to get both Lake and Carter. Lake just straight up decided to go to Oregon.

Agreed. With Carter being a 2 for 2 guy, and the high probability of Lake redshirting his first year, Carter would have been a senior during Lake's RFr year. This wouldn't scare Lake off. I think Lake choose the road that a lot of us thought he would go for reasons we thought he would.

Funny how now that we locked up Carter and solidified AA and CJ, the outlook has gone from a Chicken Little flavor back to peaches and cream.

Not to be a cynic ;)

I'm not sure it's peaches and cream at this point. We stopped the bleading, stitched up the wound and have begun the healing process. If they offered Suttan a greyshirt, the coaches are assuming they have the other 3-4 spots full as well, we just don't know yet. When Gilmore said 20-21, I don't think Young/Robinson had left...so we might be looking at 23 available + Bubba = "technically" 24 spots. I'm hopefully for a few suprises. Might be another 4-6 spots left.

You don't think we'll fill all 6 spots with incoming recruits, right?

I see us getting 4 more commits MAX. And that's if Peat swings our way, a big if. We'd also land another WR, one of the two LB's, and a mystery commit. Maybe 5 if you count Bass, but I don't think we get him.

Whatever we don't use will go to walk ons, as per tradition.