No Press Conference. Signing Day Teleconference instead @ 2:30.

Nexus

Nothing big happens with Pelini. If a player gets kicked off the team it's announced curtly and then we move on. If a coach is fired, he'll move on and it'll be handled that way. Whenever there is any dirty laundry, Bo doesn't air it. Rather, he circles the wagons and shields the program like a protective hawk mother. We should know this by now.

People just crave excitement, but it's going to leave them wanting.

This is probably just another dig at the media. Maybe punishment for something, like closing practices early in the year. Or maybe just 'cause.

Brian Christopherson had some interesting insight into the dynamics of Bo and the press and this teleconference:

Must be the weather?

It's not the weather. Often, these press conferences come with a lot of other questions not related to the recruiting class. I'm guessing Pelini doesn't want to address some of those questions right now.

BC- since you are a media guy, which of your peers often ask the questions that tick off Pelini the most? Or ask the most assinine ones? Just curious.

joe t,

I don't know. I don't think that has anything to do with this decision. Bo has actually been really good with media at signing day press conferences in the past. He usually has some insightful hallway discussions about the program with reporters that people don't see on camera. But I suppose this year he figures there will be as many questions about the coaching staff as recruits and isn't all that fired up about going down that path.

As for his relationship with the media, I've always said if Bo were a head coach back in the 70s when there were two or three beat writers at practice, it'd be an ideal situation for all parties. For instance, Pelini is always really good at the bowl site when there's just a few guys there and not so many cameras.

But back in Lincoln, there are usually about 15 to 25 media members at practices. With that many people, post-practice sessions become less conversational and more like a circus with cameras everywhere. And let's face it: If there are 20 people instead of four people covering a practice, chances are five times greater someone in that cluster is going to ask a question the masses might view as "asinine."

I'm not complaining. It is the way it is because Husker football is what sells in this state and every news organization feels as though they have to devote a lot of bodies to it. But I think the great number of media people at practices don't make it an ideal situation for coach-reporter relationships.

LINK