Watson, Gilmore, and Sanders gone?

There is way too much smoke here not to be an actual fire. I think it's somewhat ironic that for all the bitching about Watson, Gilmore, and Cotton, the first coaches to go down are . . . Ekeler and Sanders?

Still, I think Watson and Gilmore are deadmen walking. I would really hope that we hold onto Brown and Beck. Bringing in Frost would be sweet. Talk about some serious recruiting force. Assuming Raymond replaces Sanders, still seems like there are lots of spots to fill, though:

HC: B. Pelini

DC: C. Pelini

LB: ???

DB: C. Raymond

DL: J. Papuchis

OC: (S. Frost?)

RB: T. Beck

WR: ???

QB: ???

OL: B. Cotton

TE: R. Brown

Dream scenario would have been sliding Brown over to TE/WR, keeping Beck at RBs, having Frost coach QBs, bringing Rich Rod as OC. On D, dream scenario would have been to keep Sanders and bring Coleman in as LB coach. We would have had one of the best staffs in all of college football. And recruiting would have been insane.

Hujan, two solid names emerged for the LBs spot a while back: Doug Colman and Ross Els. I am much more enthused about Colman, personally.

Frost, if I had to guess, would coach WRs as well as co-OC if he came here.

If that were to happen, I see Beck as the other co-OC along with being QBs coach. <_< Which I think would be a big step down in the QB coaching department, but I suppose that is inevitable.

I think we could bring in someone else to coach RBs. It seems a lot more likely than bringing in someone else to coach QBs. I would be quite skeptical of Frost coaching QBs, but who knows.

Any movement lately on Jeff Sims, I wonder?

Didnt cottons offensive line produce a Husker single game record for rushing and did the Skers lead the Big 12 in rushing? I am not sure on the second one and I could be wayyyyyyy off but I thought I read that on another board.

Yes it was an individual record, against a team that was pretty average. Helu 200 some yards in the first quarter. Not trying to down play, a record is a record. The huskers I believe led the big 12 in rushing, but I think most of conference is pass oriented. The teams that were more run oriented were terrible in passing, just like Nebraska. Where was Nebraska ranked in passing...... anyone? Bueller? anyone? I believe it was in 100ths.

How many yards rushing did Nebraska have against teams that actually teach defense???? not a whole lot.

I remember Missouri playing pretty good defense last year. Give them some credit, I mean, they finished the season with as many wins as we did.

Hujan, two solid names emerged for the LBs spot a while back: Doug Colman and Ross Els. I am much more enthused about Colman, personally.

Frost, if I had to guess, would coach WRs as well as co-OC if he came here.

If that were to happen, I see Beck as the other co-OC along with being QBs coach. <_< Which I think would be a big step down in the QB coaching department, but I suppose that is inevitable.

I think we could bring in someone else to coach RBs. It seems a lot more likely than bringing in someone else to coach QBs. I would be quite skeptical of Frost coaching QBs, but who knows.

Any movement lately on Jeff Sims, I wonder?

I talked with a few people after the recruiting dinner last night. Sanders is not gone yet but he is currently on personal leave at this time. But it looks like 70/30 that he's gone. There are some disciplinary issues that could still get resolved.

Gilmore has most likely decided to leave rather than have a different role with the team. I tried to call him yesterday and he didn't return my call. Thats expected I guess.

Sounds like Bo has or will talk to Houstin OC and Frost but at this point its not known likly either will come. There are two other good canidates too that are unknown. Talking to the person I was talking to I'm not sure how impressed Bo is with Frost just yet. That could probably change in an interview I suppose. He was luke warm on Dobson before he interviewed him.

This guy also thought things might fall into place by the middle of next week if not sooner. There are some other things that really arn't for public air.

I don't really ever have inside information, other than the fact that Scott Frost was seen by my friend jogging around the UO campus today. So he hasn't gone anywhere yet... but that really means absolutely nothing other than Scott Frost is probably in better shape than I am.

For the sake of intrigue, let's hypothetically play with this situation for a minute.

If Frost was indeed coming to NU, maybe it was agreed upon ahead of time that the respective replacement coaches were told to keep the news to themselves until after NSD for the sake of their current schools for fear of losing last minute recruits? I'm aware that's probably not an ideal way to handle these types of situations, but it makes sense too.

Thanks to Kevin Wilson, one floodgate has already burst wide open. Now the speculation commences until NU decides to make this news official.

My thoughts exactly.

I don't really ever have inside information, other than the fact that Scott Frost was seen by my friend jogging around the UO campus today. So he hasn't gone anywhere yet... but that really means absolutely nothing other than Scott Frost is probably in better shape than I am.

For the sake of intrigue, let's hypothetically play with this situation for a minute.

If Frost was indeed coming to NU, maybe it was agreed upon ahead of time that the respective replacement coaches were told to keep the news to themselves until after NSD for the sake of their current schools for fear of losing last minute recruits? I'm aware that's probably not an ideal way to handle these types of situations, but it makes sense too.

Thanks to Kevin Wilson, one floodgate has already burst wide open. Now the speculation commences until NU decides to make this news official.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. whatever happens in terms of new position coaches and coordinator, especially with the offensive coaching staff, it will almost certainly have to be a move in the right direction. As for Frost.... well shouldn't NU command an experienced and proven OC? Scott Frost is rather inexperienced, is he not? Perhaps successful in view of the experience he does have, but... he is not experienced. Picking coaches is a very, very important thing. I'd hope we get proven talent at these positions.

Bo was not a HC before and his inexperience has been blatantly on display in how he deals with things (dealing with the press, the officials, dealing with some of his coaches and some of his players, etc.) When you hire an unproven commodity, well... you take risks. Sometimes it works, and when it does, it does so usually only in a qualified way. Hiring a proven commodity, an experienced person, is not a guarantee either, but it is a less risky venture. So... whoever comes in as an OC I hope has been a successful OC elsewhere --- and whoever comes in as a position coach I again hope they have proven testimony of excellence as a position coach elsewhere.

I agree, Cotton needs to go. To give him the new OL recruits would be like throwing them away. The problem with Watson and Cotton? They are nice guys, but they aren't Closers. IF YA WANT TO WORK HERE, CLOSE! Always Be Closing.

Do you mean closing the deal on the field? I would agree with that pertaining to Cotton, although it appears Bo doesn't share our sentiment.

When it comes to recruiting, I think Cotton is an asset - or at least, this class lends credence to that belief. Cotton was the lead or co-lead recruiter on: Daniel Davie, Ryan Klachko, Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup and David Sutton. Cotton accounted for a lot of "stars" in this year's recruiting class, so maybe he really is an asset there. Someone who pays more attention to recruiting would have to chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong...

Someone in another thread mentioned that one more coach may be reassigned. I wonder if that wouldn't be Cotton, moving to an Admin role, but still involved in recruiting. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

I agree, Cotton needs to go. To give him the new OL recruits would be like throwing them away. The problem with Watson and Cotton? They are nice guys, but they aren't Closers. IF YA WANT TO WORK HERE, CLOSE! Always Be Closing.

Do you mean closing the deal on the field? I would agree with that pertaining to Cotton, although it appears Bo doesn't share our sentiment.

When it comes to recruiting, I think Cotton is an asset - or at least, this class lends credence to that belief. Cotton was the lead or co-lead recruiter on: Daniel Davie, Ryan Klachko, Tyler Moore, Ryne Reeves, Zach Sterup and David Sutton. Cotton accounted for a lot of "stars" in this year's recruiting class, so maybe he really is an asset there. Someone who pays more attention to recruiting would have to chime in here to correct me if I'm wrong...

Someone in another thread mentioned that one more coach may be reassigned. I wonder if that wouldn't be Cotton, moving to an Admin role, but still involved in recruiting. Pure speculation on my part, of course.

Getting them to sign on the line which is dotted is lovely; but if he can't close on the field, then what good is he to us as a "teacher" of the game. If he can't close, then he needs to hit the bricks. Example: I bought some prime ribeyes from Sams, and put them in the fridge. If ya don't cook the meat, it gets moldy. Doesn't matter that it's prime - mold doesn't care. Point is, if you are going to get the good stuff when shopping for groceries, ya better have someone who is prepared to cook up a good meal, and not ruin dinner!

Daniel Davie - Lock

Ryan Klachko - nice work Cotton

Tyler Moore - Lock

Ryne Reeves - Lock

Zack Sterup - Lock

David Sutton - Lock

If I had been handling his recruiting I would have landed 5 of the 6. I can only really give Cotton credit for "actually" recruiting a single individual to this class of 2011. I'm sure he called and kept in contact...but for the most part Cottons haul was handed to him this year.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. whatever happens in terms of new position coaches and coordinator, especially with the offensive coaching staff, it will almost certainly have to be a move in the right direction. As for Frost.... well shouldn't NU command an experienced and proven OC? Scott Frost is rather inexperienced, is he not? Perhaps successful in view of the experience he does have, but... he is not experienced. Picking coaches is a very, very important thing. I'd hope we get proven talent at these positions.

Bo was not a HC before and his inexperience has been blatantly on display in how he deals with things (dealing with the press, the officials, dealing with some of his coaches and some of his players, etc.) When you hire an unproven commodity, well... you take risks. Sometimes it works, and when it does, it does so usually only in a qualified way. Hiring a proven commodity, an experienced person, is not a guarantee either, but it is a less risky venture. So... whoever comes in as an OC I hope has been a successful OC elsewhere --- and whoever comes in as a position coach I again hope they have proven testimony of excellence as a position coach elsewhere.

That was pretty much the consensus when the Bob father made TO the OC. Too young. . .not enough experience. Then a few years later that young guy had the the keys to the house.

My thoughts exactly.

That was pretty much the consensus when the Bob father made TO the OC. Too young. . .not enough experience. Then a few years later that young guy had the the keys to the house.

True enough.

But... you point out the exception rather than the rule.

In the vast majority of cases where an unproven coach moves up a level... they tend to perform only modestly well, at best... and typically not well at all... making many mistakes and learning as they go (at the expense of the team that he is getting his experience with). For every success story like the one you quote there are 5-6 stories where the move was a bad one.

My point is that NU should, based upon its history alone, not be a program where newbies cut their teeth --- it should be where coaches who have proven success elsewhere (having worked out their growing pains at another school and developed into a certifiably excellent coach at that level) can come here to succeed even more.

So... it is possible to get a 1st time inexperienced OC who works out --- but it is far more probable that he will not work out well --- in contrast, the likelihood of getting excellent performance from your new hire is much higher if you bring in an OC who has had success elsewhere as an OC.

Never make decisions based upon exceptions. Make decisions based on the rule. Go with experience.