Watson, Gilmore, and Sanders gone?

I don't really ever have inside information, other than the fact that Scott Frost was seen by my friend jogging around the UO campus today. So he hasn't gone anywhere yet... but that really means absolutely nothing other than Scott Frost is probably in better shape than I am.

For the sake of intrigue, let's hypothetically play with this situation for a minute.

If Frost was indeed coming to NU, maybe it was agreed upon ahead of time that the respective replacement coaches were told to keep the news to themselves until after NSD for the sake of their current schools for fear of losing last minute recruits? I'm aware that's probably not an ideal way to handle these types of situations, but it makes sense too.

Thanks to Kevin Wilson, one floodgate has already burst wide open. Now the speculation commences until NU decides to make this news official.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. whatever happens in terms of new position coaches and coordinator, especially with the offensive coaching staff, it will almost certainly have to be a move in the right direction. As for Frost.... well shouldn't NU command an experienced and proven OC? Scott Frost is rather inexperienced, is he not? Perhaps successful in view of the experience he does have, but... he is not experienced. Picking coaches is a very, very important thing. I'd hope we get proven talent at these positions.

Bo was not a HC before and his inexperience has been blatantly on display in how he deals with things (dealing with the press, the officials, dealing with some of his coaches and some of his players, etc.) When you hire an unproven commodity, well... you take risks. Sometimes it works, and when it does, it does so usually only in a qualified way. Hiring a proven commodity, an experienced person, is not a guarantee either, but it is a less risky venture. So... whoever comes in as an OC I hope has been a successful OC elsewhere --- and whoever comes in as a position coach I again hope they have proven testimony of excellence as a position coach elsewhere.

That was pretty much the consensus when the Bob father made TO the OC. Too young. . .not enough experience. Then a few years later that young guy had the the keys to the house.

True enough.

But... you point out the exception rather than the rule.

In the vast majority of cases where an unproven coach moves up a level... they tend to perform only modestly well, at best... and typically not well at all... making many mistakes and learning as they go (at the expense of the team that he is getting his experience with). For every success story like the one you quote there are 5-6 stories where the move was a bad one.

My point is that NU should, based upon its history alone, not be a program where newbies cut their teeth --- it should be where coaches who have proven success elsewhere (having worked out their growing pains at another school and developed into a certifiably excellent coach at that level) can come here to succeed even more.

So... it is possible to get a 1st time inexperienced OC who works out --- but it is far more probable that he will not work out well --- in contrast, the likelihood of getting excellent performance from your new hire is much higher if you bring in an OC who has had success elsewhere as an OC.

Never make decisions based upon exceptions. Make decisions based on the rule. Go with experience.

Actually the rule for NU had been to take a chance on the Unknowns or unproven. Bob D, TO, Solich, Bo. The only time we screwed up is when we took a super bowl coach.

Why do people think that Frank was a good coach? He's the one that drove this program into the ground by his lazy recruiting and allowed the program to follow suit and get lazy. I don't see why he gets a pass because he was a husker? To me that makes it worse, he knew what this program was all about and ran it into the ground. That's why I will always be more pissed at Frank than Bill.

• Fire 1

I don't really ever have inside information, other than the fact that Scott Frost was seen by my friend jogging around the UO campus today. So he hasn't gone anywhere yet... but that really means absolutely nothing other than Scott Frost is probably in better shape than I am.

For the sake of intrigue, let's hypothetically play with this situation for a minute.

If Frost was indeed coming to NU, maybe it was agreed upon ahead of time that the respective replacement coaches were told to keep the news to themselves until after NSD for the sake of their current schools for fear of losing last minute recruits? I'm aware that's probably not an ideal way to handle these types of situations, but it makes sense too.

Thanks to Kevin Wilson, one floodgate has already burst wide open. Now the speculation commences until NU decides to make this news official.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. whatever happens in terms of new position coaches and coordinator, especially with the offensive coaching staff, it will almost certainly have to be a move in the right direction. As for Frost.... well shouldn't NU command an experienced and proven OC? Scott Frost is rather inexperienced, is he not? Perhaps successful in view of the experience he does have, but... he is not experienced. Picking coaches is a very, very important thing. I'd hope we get proven talent at these positions.

Bo was not a HC before and his inexperience has been blatantly on display in how he deals with things (dealing with the press, the officials, dealing with some of his coaches and some of his players, etc.) When you hire an unproven commodity, well... you take risks. Sometimes it works, and when it does, it does so usually only in a qualified way. Hiring a proven commodity, an experienced person, is not a guarantee either, but it is a less risky venture. So... whoever comes in as an OC I hope has been a successful OC elsewhere --- and whoever comes in as a position coach I again hope they have proven testimony of excellence as a position coach elsewhere.

That was pretty much the consensus when the Bob father made TO the OC. Too young. . .not enough experience. Then a few years later that young guy had the the keys to the house.

True enough.

In the vast majority of cases where an unproven coach moves up a level... they tend to perform only modestly well, at best... and typically not well at all... making many mistakes and learning as they go (at the expense of the team that he is getting his experience with). For every success story like the one you quote there are 5-6 stories where the move was a bad one.

My point is that NU should, based upon its history alone, not be a program where newbies cut their teeth --- it should be where coaches who have proven success elsewhere (having worked out their growing pains at another school and developed into a certifiably excellent coach at that level) can come here to succeed even more.

So... it is possible to get a 1st time inexperienced OC who works out --- but it is far more probable that he will not work out well --- in contrast, the likelihood of getting excellent performance from your new hire is much higher if you bring in an OC who has had success elsewhere as an OC.

Never make decisions based upon exceptions. Make decisions based on the rule. Go with experience.

Actually the rule for NU had been to take a chance on the Unknowns or unproven. Bob D, TO, Solich, Bo. The only time we screwed up is when we took a super bowl coach.

Why do people think that Frank was a good coach? He's the one that drove this program into the ground by his lazy recruiting and allowed the program to follow suit and get lazy. I don't see why he gets a pass because he was a husker? To me that makes it worse, he knew what this program was all about and ran it into the ground. That's why I will always be more pissed at Frank than Bill.

That's right. Frank really drove the program straight into the dirt with that god-awful 9-3 season he got fired for. Man, just terrible...

:sarcasm

• Fire 1

My thoughts exactly.

True enough.

BS. Frank never took a team with a fair amount of NFL defensive talent to a 5-7 season....

I'm not as convinced as you are just due to players alone. Clownahan supposedly drastically improved the talent with his recruiting classes, but it never translated to the field. My gut tells me that the next OC will be someone from within because no OC worth his salt is going to come here and be told what plays he's supposed to call and what players he's to play. I don't know for fact that this happened last year, but it's what I've been told by those supposedly in the know. Bo would be better served to clean out the entire offensive staff, hire an established OC, and allow that OC to choose his assistants under him. I just can't imagine an offensive genious having much luck here at Nebraska after being saddled with the likes of Barney, Gilmore, and Beck.

He did improve the talent on offense and it did improve with the right coaching. Why do you think Bo has had the success that he's had? It's because he was left with much better talent than Frank left Callahan. There is a reason why we had to hire our what was it.. our 4th or 5th choice? Take a look at that 2004 roster and tell me one coach worth a dam that would want to come here with that little talent and the expectations at a school like ours. No matter how good of a coach you are, you can't win without talent. That's why Frank was good with TO's talent his first four years and fell flat on his face when all of TO's recruits graduated.

And word is that Frost turned down a chance to come here as a CO/OC with Beck because he wanted to be the OC or bust and he's done nothing to deserve a position like that yet. I'm willing to bet that Houston's OC will be our next OC with Beck being the Co/OC. He has WR coaching experience in the NFL (Vikings with Randy Moss) and would bring an offense like oSu's to Lincoln. He would basically be the passing game coordinator and Beck would be the running game coordinator. Now if they would just get rid of Barney, we would be in a great position.

Bring an offense like OSU? OKState? I dont get that, we are not recruiting for that at all, we would need a QB that can pass effectively. Pass first kinda guy wouldnt you think?

That's seriously one of the dumbest things that I've ever read. You can't be serious.

That's seriously one of the dumbest things that I've ever read. You can't be serious.

This is why I'm embarrassed every time they say that BS about Nebraska fans being the most knowledgeable and best fans in the country. It's posts like this that prove them wrong.

I have a challenge for all of you Frank "the tank" Solich lovers. Show me the roster in 2004 and name me the difference makers/ game changers that Frank left for Callahan.

Look at Frank's schedule in 2003 and it will prove that he didn't beat anybody worth a dam. NU had one of the easiest schedule's in the country that year and we got blown out by the only two good teams that year (UT and KSU) and lost to a very average team in Mizzou. Frank also broke just about every streak that NU had except the winning streak vs KU and the bowl steak. And the only reason he didn't break the bowl streak is because he played McNeese State in 2002. 2003 was also a fluke year in that we recorded an NCAA record 45 turnovers by the defense. Our offensive numbers were actually worse in 2003 than they were in 2002. Which shows good on Bo and bad on Frank.

I agree that he shouldn't have been fired in 2003, he should have had to endure the losing season in 2004 (unless you are dumb enough to believe that Joe Dailey (our only scholarship QB on the roster by the way) could lead a Solich/Cotton led offense to 6 wins) and then even the inbreds would have wanted him gone. This was Peterson's huge mistake and it divided the fan base.

My thoughts exactly.

True enough.

BS. Frank never took a team with a fair amount of NFL defensive talent to a 5-7 season....

Are you talking about 2004? We had three DL on the team. IDK about you, but I don't think it matters on how much talent you supposedly had at LB and DB, but if you don't have the depth and talent on the DL, you are pretty much screwed because you can't hide it.

Then on offense when your only play maker is your TE (Herian) and you have one scholarship QB on the team which happens to be the worst QB in modern Nebraska football history (will all apologies to Mike Grant), you are pretty much screwed. Ross was nothing more than a 3rd down back at best.

Frank never had NFL talent because he never recruited it. He was able to win on the back of 4 years with TO's recruits. Then fell flat on his face because he didn't take recruiting seriously enough. He also failed to win the North with an Heisman Trophy Quarterback in 3 of his 4 years. And three of those teams were good enough to win the NC.

I will give him that he was screwed in 1999 by the BCS and a bad call in the game @UT. NU should have been playing for the NC in 1999, but that one was not his fault. But the 2000 and 2001 seasons are.

This is why I'm embarrassed every time they say that BS about Nebraska fans being the most knowledgeable and best fans in the country. It's posts like this that prove them wrong.

I have a challenge for all of you Frank "the tank" Solich lovers. Show me the roster in 2004 and name me the difference makers/ game changers that Frank left for Callahan.

Look at Frank's schedule in 2003 and it will prove that he didn't beat anybody worth a dam. NU had one of the easiest schedule's in the country that year and we got blown out by the only two good teams that year (UT and KSU) and lost to a very average team in Mizzou. Frank also broke just about every streak that NU had except the winning streak vs KU and the bowl steak. And the only reason he didn't break the bowl streak is because he played McNeese State in 2002. 2003 was also a fluke year in that we recorded an NCAA record 45 turnovers by the defense. Our offensive numbers were actually worse in 2003 than they were in 2002. Which shows good on Bo and bad on Frank.

I agree that he shouldn't have been fired in 2003, he should have had to endure the losing season in 2004 (unless you are dumb enough to believe that Joe Dailey (our only scholarship QB on the roster by the way) could lead a Solich/Cotton led offense to 6 wins) and then even the inbreds would have wanted him gone. This was Peterson's huge mistake and it divided the fan base.

Solich had one bad season, made staff changes immediately, and then was given only one year to show improvement. When his staff changes resulted in clear improvement that season, he was then fired for it.

It's also not just that there wasn't talent in 2004, it's that all the talent was all built for a completely different system, and rather than adjust his scheme accordingly, Callahan decided to sacrifice that entire season in favor of running an offense that his players couldn't execute. It was a miracle that we won 5 games at all given that boneheaded strategy.

Solich wouldn't have lost 70-10 to an average Texas Tech team. End of story.

Franks firing left a bad taste in alot of the players mouth. If we had Bo in 2004 our defense would have helped us to atleast 6 wins. You cant fit a square peg into a round hole. Joe Dailey was a victim of offensive scheme change. He didnt look to bad as freshman when he played. I dont get why people dog on him for being a victim of coaching changes. We all knew Callahans play book was like trying to decipher a code.

If Frankie is here in 2004, so is Bo..... but we might not have gotten Bo as head coach if he never came here in 2003.

Are you talking about 2004? We had three DL on the team. IDK about you, but I don't think it matters on how much talent you supposedly had at LB and DB, but if you don't have the depth and talent on the DL, you are pretty much screwed because you can't hide it.

Then on offense when your only play maker is your TE (Herian) and you have one scholarship QB on the team which happens to be the worst QB in modern Nebraska football history (will all apologies to Mike Grant), you are pretty much screwed. Ross was nothing more than a 3rd down back at best.

Frank never had NFL talent because he never recruited it. He was able to win on the back of 4 years with TO's recruits. Then fell flat on his face because he didn't take recruiting seriously enough. He also failed to win the North with an Heisman Trophy Quarterback in 3 of his 4 years. And three of those teams were good enough to win the NC.

I will give him that he was screwed in 1999 by the BCS and a bad call in the game @UT. NU should have been playing for the NC in 1999, but that one was not his fault. But the 2000 and 2001 seasons are.

Those crappy 2000 and 2001 seasons where we went 10-2 and 11-2 respectively, and finished ranked #7 in the country each year?

So what exactly do you think? That he should have won 3 national championships in his first 4 years? That his first 4 years as head coach should have equaled Tom Osborne's last 4 years as head coach, also known as the greatest 4 year run in the history of college football?

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Solich had one bad season, made staff changes immediately, and then was given only one year to show improvement. When his staff changes resulted in clear improvement that season, he was then fired for it.

It's also not just that there wasn't talent in 2004, it's that all the talent was all built for a completely different system, and rather than adjust his scheme accordingly, Callahan decided to sacrifice that entire season in favor of running an offense that his players couldn't execute. It was a miracle that we won 5 games at all given that boneheaded strategy.

Solich wouldn't have lost 70-10 to an average Texas Tech team. End of story.

I still remember the Southern Miss game that where Callahan was telling Dailey to hurry up and get a snap in before the end of a quarter. The only problem was, we were leading, the clock was running, and it was the 3rd quarter. Dailey throws a pick 6.

I don't feel pissed at either. I would say Frank had good intentions but could not cut it at the top spot. Callahan was a stubborn fool who could not change, guess I am more pissed with him becasue he let Cosgrove stay year in year out and run a crap D........ It appears that BO will not do the Same for Watson.

so when are we going to get some good news about Watson and Gilmore? Don't tell me we're just going to wait around until the 12th, or whenever their contracts expire.

I thought the assistant coaches contracts expire on January 31st. what Ive heard most are negotiated and ready to be signed a couple weeks before.

Whatever you say genius!

All Frank did was win the BigXII, have NU in a NC game and yeah...beat Texas.

It takes true-blue genius to declare Frank/Bo had to have a losing season in 2004. I give you full credit for it. Especially for the great results mighty Clownahan gave us. Truly only an inbred could disagree.

Btw, since you got your great wish to fire Frank "the tank" Solich, please tell me.....

1. How many BigXII championships have NU won since?

2. How many NC games has NU played in since?

3. How many times has NU beat Texas since?

And lastly, how many seasons has NU beat or even equaled 10 - 3 since firing "the tank"?

• Fire 1