Watson, Gilmore, and Sanders gone?

From what I've been told all along was that Watson wanted out. Part of the reason his name came up for so many jobs was because of the feelers he put out for each and every job that came along. I don't think Bo fired him, and/or even wanted him to leave. Watson made up his mind sometime during the season that he didn't want to be here come the 2011 season. The gray area in all of this is what the agreement was between Watson and Bo with regards to Watson not getting picked up anywhere else. Obviously, it would have been better if Watson would have been picked up months ago. The timing thing of all this really isn't very good anymore.

The timing is awful, especially if Scott Frost is coming over. I have several Duck Fan buddies, and they're up in arms over the rumors in Eugene that Frosty is headed back to Lincoln. They are (justifiably so) upset that Frost had a hand in the recruiting of several players, only to bolt afterwards. They're upset that players may reconsider their choices to Oregon (which they can't after the LOI is signed, but whatever). Bottom line is, they're pissed we may come "steal" Frost from them.

I really, really hope we were up-front with all of our recruits about what was going on. If not, it looks bad for us.

WWWWWoooooowwww!!!! I have been out of the loop for a couple of days (cpu issues). I know this will come as a SHOCK to Jackson and his parents because I spoke to them yesterday during the Signing Ceremony. If Bo did not tell them Sanders may not be at NU, IMO that's not cool. They like Sanders.

If it's for some type of legal infraction like the rumor that's going around.....The school has no choice. If in fact that is why Sanders possibly/is leaving.

Where these infractions known prior to NSD and what are the rumors? Like I said, I've been out of the loop.

From what I've been told all along was that Watson wanted out. Part of the reason his name came up for so many jobs was because of the feelers he put out for each and every job that came along. I don't think Bo fired him, and/or even wanted him to leave. Watson made up his mind sometime during the season that he didn't want to be here come the 2011 season. The gray area in all of this is what the agreement was between Watson and Bo with regards to Watson not getting picked up anywhere else. Obviously, it would have been better if Watson would have been picked up months ago. The timing thing of all this really isn't very good anymore.

The timing is awful, especially if Scott Frost is coming over. I have several Duck Fan buddies, and they're up in arms over the rumors in Eugene that Frosty is headed back to Lincoln. They are (justifiably so) upset that Frost had a hand in the recruiting of several players, only to bolt afterwards. They're upset that players may reconsider their choices to Oregon (which they can't after the LOI is signed, but whatever). Bottom line is, they're pissed we may come "steal" Frost from them.

I really, really hope we were up-front with all of our recruits about what was going on. If not, it looks bad for us.

WWWWWoooooowwww!!!! I have been out of the loop for a couple of days (cpu issues). I know this will come as a SHOCK to Jackson and his parents because I spoke to them yesterday during the Signing Ceremony. If Bo did not tell them Sanders may not be at NU, IMO that's not cool. They like Sanders.

If it's for some type of legal infraction like the rumor that's going around.....The school has no choice. If in fact that is why Sanders possibly/is leaving.

Isnt the speculation Sanders pulled a "Solich"?

What is a Solich? Having somone slip a mickey into your beer?

Would they be happier if Frost announced before LOI day and took the recruits with him to tNU?

Stupid Ducks.

What is a Solich? Having somone slip a mickey into your beer?

Perhaps he was referring to the alleged relationship with a co-ed. :dunno

From what I was told, Solich was having an affair with a woman that worked in the athletic department. Craig Bohl was the one having an alleged relationship with a co-ed. Either way, neither of these makes much sense because neither one is illegal. From what I gather, Sanders committed a legal infraction which I'm hoping has absolutely nothing to do with the university or recruiting.

I don't really ever have inside information, other than the fact that Scott Frost was seen by my friend jogging around the UO campus today. So he hasn't gone anywhere yet... but that really means absolutely nothing other than Scott Frost is probably in better shape than I am.

For the sake of intrigue, let's hypothetically play with this situation for a minute.

If Frost was indeed coming to NU, maybe it was agreed upon ahead of time that the respective replacement coaches were told to keep the news to themselves until after NSD for the sake of their current schools for fear of losing last minute recruits? I'm aware that's probably not an ideal way to handle these types of situations, but it makes sense too.

Thanks to Kevin Wilson, one floodgate has already burst wide open. Now the speculation commences until NU decides to make this news official.

My thoughts exactly.

Well.. whatever happens in terms of new position coaches and coordinator, especially with the offensive coaching staff, it will almost certainly have to be a move in the right direction. As for Frost.... well shouldn't NU command an experienced and proven OC? Scott Frost is rather inexperienced, is he not? Perhaps successful in view of the experience he does have, but... he is not experienced. Picking coaches is a very, very important thing. I'd hope we get proven talent at these positions.

Bo was not a HC before and his inexperience has been blatantly on display in how he deals with things (dealing with the press, the officials, dealing with some of his coaches and some of his players, etc.) When you hire an unproven commodity, well... you take risks. Sometimes it works, and when it does, it does so usually only in a qualified way. Hiring a proven commodity, an experienced person, is not a guarantee either, but it is a less risky venture. So... whoever comes in as an OC I hope has been a successful OC elsewhere --- and whoever comes in as a position coach I again hope they have proven testimony of excellence as a position coach elsewhere.

That was pretty much the consensus when the Bob father made TO the OC. Too young. . .not enough experience. Then a few years later that young guy had the the keys to the house.

True enough.

But... you point out the exception rather than the rule.

In the vast majority of cases where an unproven coach moves up a level... they tend to perform only modestly well, at best... and typically not well at all... making many mistakes and learning as they go (at the expense of the team that he is getting his experience with). For every success story like the one you quote there are 5-6 stories where the move was a bad one.

My point is that NU should, based upon its history alone, not be a program where newbies cut their teeth --- it should be where coaches who have proven success elsewhere (having worked out their growing pains at another school and developed into a certifiably excellent coach at that level) can come here to succeed even more.

So... it is possible to get a 1st time inexperienced OC who works out --- but it is far more probable that he will not work out well --- in contrast, the likelihood of getting excellent performance from your new hire is much higher if you bring in an OC who has had success elsewhere as an OC.

Never make decisions based upon exceptions. Make decisions based on the rule. Go with experience.

Actually the rule for NU had been to take a chance on the Unknowns or unproven. Bob D, TO, Solich, Bo. The only time we screwed up is when we took a super bowl coach.

• Fire 1

From what I was told, Solich was having an affair with a woman that worked in the athletic department. Craig Bohl was the one having an alleged relationship with a co-ed. Either way, neither of these makes much sense because neither one is illegal. From what I gather, Sanders committed a legal infraction which I'm hoping has absolutely nothing to do with the university or recruiting.

His infraction defiantly violated university policy. That's all I'm going to say at this point. Sorry.

I wouldn't put the onus on Watson. He's known the door was open to leave for two years now. He isn't the one I'd be most concerned about not being truthful with recruits.

Considering that he applied for every opening in the country this year, no one could have really thought 100% that he would be around.

I wouldn't put the onus on Watson. He's known the door was open to leave for two years now. He isn't the one I'd be most concerned about not being truthful with recruits.

Considering that he applied for every opening in the country this year, no one could have really thought 100% that he would be around.

This is the reason I think Watson knew his days were numbered.

I'm not as convinced as you are just due to players alone. Clownahan supposedly drastically improved the talent with his recruiting classes, but it never translated to the field. My gut tells me that the next OC will be someone from within because no OC worth his salt is going to come here and be told what plays he's supposed to call and what players he's to play. I don't know for fact that this happened last year, but it's what I've been told by those supposedly in the know. Bo would be better served to clean out the entire offensive staff, hire an established OC, and allow that OC to choose his assistants under him. I just can't imagine an offensive genious having much luck here at Nebraska after being saddled with the likes of Barney, Gilmore, and Beck.

He did improve the talent on offense and it did improve with the right coaching. Why do you think Bo has had the success that he's had? It's because he was left with much better talent than Frank left Callahan. There is a reason why we had to hire our what was it.. our 4th or 5th choice? Take a look at that 2004 roster and tell me one coach worth a dam that would want to come here with that little talent and the expectations at a school like ours. No matter how good of a coach you are, you can't win without talent. That's why Frank was good with TO's talent his first four years and fell flat on his face when all of TO's recruits graduated.

And word is that Frost turned down a chance to come here as a CO/OC with Beck because he wanted to be the OC or bust and he's done nothing to deserve a position like that yet. I'm willing to bet that Houston's OC will be our next OC with Beck being the Co/OC. He has WR coaching experience in the NFL (Vikings with Randy Moss) and would bring an offense like oSu's to Lincoln. He would basically be the passing game coordinator and Beck would be the running game coordinator. Now if they would just get rid of Barney, we would be in a great position.