Jason Phillips/ Scott Frost?

Vince R.

And I'd assume Frost has plenty of money. He didn't get a lot of time in the NFL, but he had 6-7 years there. We'll see. Lateral move, NC contending Oregon to Nebraska, less money, worse facilities. ANY other coach and I'd say not a chance. The only thing going for us is that it's "home". Then again a lot of us leave Nebraska and are perfectly happy to never live there again. He's lived in New York, Tampa Bay, etc...Lincoln doesn't sound all that great in comparison.

There's a lot of projecting going on here. I lived next to Frost for several years. He loves Nebraska and is a Nebraskan through and through. He may never come to live here again, but if not, it's not because of the weather.

He still owns a house in Lincoln. Probably means nothing, but it's a fact.

One thing I do not want to see is a pass happy offense at Nebraska. We do not need Houston's offense here. Bring a guy in from one to coach WRs––okay. But we need a ground game.

Would you prefer an over-hyped, overrated, bad playcallin, no identity, jack of all trades-master of none, undisciplined, inconsistent, gonna talk sh!t about imposing their will on opponents, but only gonna score points on bad defenses and choke in big games, run oriented offense?

I'll take whatever consistently gets us in the end zone.

Why not Frost as QB coach? If Watson is gone and Phillips has a better WR coach pedigree, and if we're setting up to have a more run-oriented attack, Frosty would be an ideal teacher of athletic quarterbacks.

I just can't see us paying 400,000+ to Scott Frost if he's anything but the OC - and I can't see Scott Frost taking a 100,000+ pay cut to come here and be the QB coach. Look at what he made this year at Oregon. They'll have a similarly dominant team next year so you can expect his bonuses to be nearly maxed out again in 2011. Wouldn't mind it happening, it would just suprise me.

Last I heard Frost's base salary was $130K. We're not going to pay him based on bonuses he may or may not get as a Duck, and frankly there's as much chance of him getting those bonuses here as there.

So you see us winning the Big10, making a BCS bowl - winning a NC next year so he can take his 220k base salary and max his bonuses to 305k like Gilmore would have this year? I'd say theres a MUCH higher chance of that happening for him at Oregon next year than here. He had a 145k base, with 285k max bonus (430k total). After playing for an NC you can guarentee he'll be getting a raise - especially if NU is coming after him. All their coaches had low base salaries - and easily maxed their bonuses. I'm sure not a single Oregon assistant made less than 375-400k this year, and I HIGHLY doubt Frost would make less than that next year in a down Pac12

sorry guys gotta go with screw Frost. I have my reasons and even though he was Young,He was one cocky person until Lawrence Phillips showed up one night and he cowarded like a woman.

Weak! The only coward was LP for deciding to fit a female's head through a mail box. Nuff Said!

And lets not forget two lives/two careers that have gone opposite directions. Who are you more proud of now ... LP or Frost?

"Screw Frost" ... no ... screw LP ... or rather ... he screwed himself. LP was/is a train wreck ... I still see the smoke ... sadly.

SheepdogMark

And I'd assume Frost has plenty of money. He didn't get a lot of time in the NFL, but he had 6-7 years there. We'll see. Lateral move, NC contending Oregon to Nebraska, less money, worse facilities. ANY other coach and I'd say not a chance. The only thing going for us is that it's "home". Then again a lot of us leave Nebraska and are perfectly happy to never live there again. He's lived in New York, Tampa Bay, etc...Lincoln doesn't sound all that great in comparison.

There's a lot of projecting going on here. I lived next to Frost for several years. He loves Nebraska and is a Nebraskan through and through. He may never come to live here again, but if not, it's not because of the weather.

Who said anything about the weather?

Who said anything about the weather?

I did. Jokey joke. ;)

Care to comment on the house Mr. Frost still owns here in Stinkin' Lincoln? He could move in tomorrow.

One thing I do not want to see is a pass happy offense at Nebraska. We do not need Houston's offense here. Bring a guy in from one to coach WRs––okay. But we need a ground game.

Especially with our inability to recruit good passing QBs and WRs.

I don't think anyone is thinking about a "pass happy offense", however, I'd like to point out that having the ability to do that at any given point is not a bad thing.

In regards to the "inability to recruit good passing QB's and WR's, I'd like to point out a team like TT. They were able to create some dynamic passing QB's and WR's. It wasn't like they were attracting 4-5 star recruits that made those offenses go. Thus, when I think of the Huskers I have to think about the reality of our recruitment ... that you can't tell me you can't find "gems" out there that are 3-star type recruits in "others" eyes. Obviously, if we can't compete for the "top tier" of WR recruits, we have to be able to pick out the gems like TT and others have done and develop them.

We have to get away from the idea that if you come to the Huskers at WR you will only block. That will always keep us a run oriented offense. Yes, WR will always need to block, but to minimize that position to that basic identity is to miss the mark of what offenses are now doing via the spread type offense.

SheepdogMark

So you see us winning the Big10, making a BCS bowl - winning a NC next year so he can take his 220k base salary and max his bonuses to 305k like Gilmore would have this year? I'd say theres a MUCH higher chance of that happening for him at Oregon next year than here. He had a 145k base, with 285k max bonus (430k total). After playing for an NC you can guarentee he'll be getting a raise - especially if NU is coming after him. All their coaches had low base salaries - and easily maxed their bonuses. I'm sure not a single Oregon assistant made less than 375-400k this year, and I HIGHLY doubt Frost would make less than that next year in a down Pac12

I see us having the same thing Oregon has - a chance. If Frosty is hired as an OC or Co-OC he'll make a higher base salary than he did as a WR coach. If we bring him in as a QB coach we can easily match his base salary at Oregon. We're not poverty-stricken.

Would you prefer an over-hyped, overrated, bad playcallin, no identity, jack of all trades-master of none, undisciplined, inconsistent, gonna talk sh!t about imposing their will on opponents, but only gonna score points on bad defenses and choke in big games, run oriented offense?

I'll take whatever consistently gets us in the end zone.

I don't see that as our only two options. It's rare if not impossible for a pure passing team to win championships. Pelini has preached since day one, "You need to be able to run the football and play great defense."

Balance is fine, but the ground game is the first priority.

We have to get away from the idea that if you come to the Huskers at WR you will only block. That will always keep us a run oriented offense. Yes, WR will always need to block, but to minimize that position to that basic identity is to miss the mark of what offenses are now doing via the spread type offense.

Agree 10,000%. It's a concept that HAS TO stop.

Agree 10,000%. It's a concept that HAS TO stop.

Better find a QB who can hit receivers, then. :(

I see us having the same thing Oregon has - a chance. If Frosty is hired as an OC or Co-OC he'll make a higher base salary than he did as a WR coach. If we bring him in as a QB coach we can easily match his base salary at Oregon. We're not poverty-stricken.

All of Oregon's assistants bonuses look fairly similar in amount, so based on what I was able to dig up about other assistants, here's a rough breakdown of Frosts 2010 pay...

145,000 - [base Pay]

15,000+- [beating Oregon State]

35,000 - [12 wins]

36,250 - [4 months pay for reaching BCS game] (another 4 months pay if they had won it)

30,000 - [Top 10 final ranking] (75,000 if they had finished #1)

Total: 261,500

There are some other bonuses based on coaching awards, graduation rate, recruiting, etc. He might have a little more in there but I'd bet that 260k is fairly close. I think we could match that easily. Scott lost about 80,000 in income when they lost to Auburn. I figured he'd be north of 300k easily, and he might be with some other bonuses...but probably not by much.

Since he got a 15k raise last year, after this year you'd have to assume he'd get at least a 25k or so raise puting his base at 180k. If Nebraska goes hard after him they might bump him to 200-225k, maybe more considering the recruiting haul he pulled in this year. Regardless, after looking into it farther I think we could match his pay - especially if he had a co-OC title.

KC, the bonuses are interesting to look at, but you can never, never, never count on them. Teams fluctuate so badly from year to year based on graduation, schedule changes and mental lapses that bonuses simply can't be counted on. Nebraska 2010 is a great example - we should most definitely have been in a BCS bowl, but inexplicably we weren't.

The only crucial thing to note here is base salary. Oregon may not make a decent bowl next year. They may win the MNC. They may pull a Texas and win five games with all the talent in the world. You never know.

I think Frost would be a great match for our team. He is emotional and passionate like Bo and Carl, and the guy is a natural winner. He is a hard worker, and a competitive SOB! which is exactly the type we need on Offense. I like the idea of Co-OC at this point, because he may not be 100% ready to go at it alone, but in time, I could see it.

I don't know - as someone who has a pay structure based heavily on bonuses...I tend to prefer it.

Talking ONLY the money - personally, if someone offered me 180k with 290k in potential bonuses (some of which are easily obtainable) - I'd take that over 220k with 90k in potential bonuses. That 40k guarenteed (to me personally) does not trump the posibility of making 200k more. Especially coming of a year like Oregon had. The risk is greatly reduced. They'll beat Oregon State, he'll get 11 win bonus, recruiting bonus. Just those put him near the 220k.

Without knowing the NU offer I can't compare - but if you gave me Gilmores 2011 compensation, or Frosts 2011 compensation - I'd take Frost's every day of the week.