Jason Phillips/ Scott Frost?

Vince R.

The biggest issue they have is ........... They are Oregon ......... Kinda like lipstick on a pig. The thing money could not buy was USC getting the hammer. I think the ducks will not sustain what they have. FWIW I live in Oregon and I would tend to look for some Kool aid in the program and I still think that they will not have sustained success.

Call it what you want, but they played for a title in Kelly's second year and they're recruiting like crazy.

The idea that Oregon is a flash in the pan is just wishful thinking. They're devoting resources because they want to win, and if they don't win, they're going to keep devoting resources to it until they do win. They're not going to play for championships every year, but they're going to probably be a top 10 team most years. They have all the resources you'd ever need, they play in a manageable division starting next year, they play in a manageable conference to begin with, and they have a good location (hour away from the ocean, 90 minutes away from skiing... seriously...).

Sorry Husker fans, but Oregon has built in advantages that Nebraska just doesn't have. The only thing Nebraska has on Oregon is tradition, and perhaps a slightly more rabid fan base. But those things aren't going to stop Oregon from building their own tradition and their own rabid fan base.

I don't really understand all the hate on Oregon... Every Duck fan I know respects Nebraska and envies Nebraska's history in college football. They want that same thing, they want that tradition, but they also want it to be their own unique tradition, which is how it should be. Hating on them for being different is completely missing the point.

:backtotopic

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/warinner_ed00.html

Heard a few things this morning and it was supposed to stay hush hush but I did see someone else blab about it so I'll share it here. Sounds like he might be considered. Was OC/QBs under Manjino and I think Beck is familiar with him and his offense. Also can double as O-line.

Unless Cotton goes, I just dont see this guy coming here.

I do believe Bo has his guys. He will announce it on his terms and his terms only.

:backtotopic

http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/warinner_ed00.html

Heard a few things this morning and it was supposed to stay hush hush but I did see someone else blab about it so I'll share it here. Sounds like he might be considered. Was OC/QBs under Manjino and I think Beck is familiar with him and his offense. Also can double as O-line.

Unless Cotton goes, I just dont see this guy coming here.

I do believe Bo has his guys. He will announce it on his terms and his terms only.

You'd be wrong if you think Bo had his guys hired.

I'm not giving a % but he's been contacted. Also:

1-like we've never had two o-line or D-line coaches before.

2-who says Cotton will still be in his current role?

Not like this should be a shocker, but Oregon news outlet is spreading word that Bo is talking with Frost.

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/duck-football/comments/report-cornhuskers-have-spoken-with-uo-assistant-frost/

So the Oregon writer cited the Sipple article as a source???? I guess I was looking for some more concrete info from an Oregon paper, such as Kelly has granted permission for Nebraska to talk with Frost.... things like that.

He is just rewriting what is already out their.

I know everyone has their "guy in the know," but I did hear from a very reliable source that Frost has turned down Bo. My friend did say that he turned Bo down "for now," implying that it could be part of a negotiating process. He also didn't specify what specific position he turned down. Frost has said in the past that he wouldn't leave UO for a lateral move, so perhaps that's what he supposedly rejected.

Not like this should be a shocker, but Oregon news outlet is spreading word that Bo is talking with Frost.

http://www2.registerguard.com/cms/index.php/duck-football/comments/report-cornhuskers-have-spoken-with-uo-assistant-frost/

The only thing interesting about this is that for those of you not more familiar with Oregon's program, you can see the amount of respect Frost as from the fan base out here by reading the comments section.

I know everyone has their "guy in the know," but I did hear from a very reliable source that Frost has turned down Bo. My friend did say that he turned Bo down "for now," implying that it could be part of a negotiating process. He also didn't specify what specific position he turned down. Frost has said in the past that he wouldn't leave UO for a lateral move, so perhaps that's what he supposedly rejected.

What do you mean he turned it down "for now." Is Frost trying to use it as leverage against Oregon to see if they give him a bigger paycheck???

If that's true, that's a good thing IMHO. Frost is not ready for anything other than a lateral move. A lateral move is all that NU should be willing to offer him at this point. So he's fine to reject it, as I see it.

I'm a big Scott Frost fan, but those who think he's ready to become an OC at a program like NU clearly know very little about football. Frost has not had near the seasoning for such a big, important position. Many are citing his experience at an offensive powerhouse like Oregon. That's true, that is valuable experience. But the reality is, that offense is 100% Chip Kelly's. He's responsible for all of its success. As UO WR coach, Frost quite frankly doesn't DO a whole lot. He works on the guys with their route running, blocking, etc ... and that's about it.

Going from that to being in charge of an entire offense is a HUGE step -- and one that Frost isn't remotely ready for. I say this not to demean him, it's just the truth. NU needs an OC that has spent the last 10-15 years drawing up plays and developing QBs. Frost is not this man. Again, he is a very peripheral figure at UO now. Maybe in a few years he'll develop his own voice, offensive strategies, QB philosophies, etc, but that day has not come.

That being said, if we want to bring Frost on as WR coach, so he can add what he's learned under Chip Kelly ... I'm all for that. But he apparently won't go for a lateral move. So, cased closed (for now)

What do you mean he turned it down "for now." Is Frost trying to use it as leverage against Oregon to see if they give him a bigger paycheck???

I think they asked if he'd be interested in being the RB coach. He would like a prettier title. I would suggest running game coordinator but I think that belongs to Billy C.

And he has not turned it down. Yet.

You'd be wrong if you think Bo had his guys hired.

I'm not giving a % but he's been contacted. Also:

1-like we've never had two o-line or D-line coaches before.

2-who says Cotton will still be in his current role?

I've heard rumors (don't remember where) that Barney might be moved to an "administrative position." That wouldn't piss too many people off.

I hope what you said about Frost it true, and that Bo somehow decides to make him the "Run game coordinator" or whatever.

Problem is, if we have the OC, the run game CO, and pass game CO, wouldn't that "water down" the titles and be counter productive.

I'd love to have Frost back, and would have liked to have had Doug Colman too, but such goes life. Hell, what about Jimmy Williams, he was on the staff when Bo was here before, and I don't think he is coaching. He is supposedly a good LB coach.

And, if we are just looking at guys with ties to DONU, how about Tom Rathman? I'm not sure that he would leave the NFL, but he and Bo worked together with the 49ers, I think.

Awwww screw it, just get Uncle Charlie back here, everything will be just fine! :corndance

The thing that is shocking about Oregon's facilities isn't how nice they are, it's how fast they've caught up to everyone else. That, plus the reason that it's almost entirely funded by one guy, Phil Knight, is the only reason anybody talks about their facilities compared to places like Nebraska, Alabama, Florida, etc.

The arms race with facilities will continue, but there are really a finite number of things you can do that have any real impact on recruiting or on conditioning.

Yep.... Phil Knight is the only reason Oregon is where its at. I just read an article from 2004 about they took recruits out for steak dinner and shrimp, drove them around in a limo the whole weekend. They had jerseys and lockers with their names on them already. Basically waited on them like they were all little princes and just feed those kids already big egos. Which is why Oregon is the perfect fit for them.

Each signed recruit cost the school about 15K of a 600K recruiting budget.

If true, the bolded part is a recruiting violation.