An open letter to Bo Pelini

I'm not sure what the protocol is for posting user content from other websites onto Huskerboard, but this is so good that it must be shared. I will put it in quotes and not include a link for now. (Mods: is this correct?)

Bo,

Let me begin, by saying there is no question you are the right man for this job. You’re a defensive genius. Your work speaks for itself. I was as excited as anyone, when I had learned you had been hired by Tom Osborne and Harvey Perlman.

Your passion for the game of football is unparalleled. I feel, sometimes your unbridled passion, can get in your way. Your sideline antics are well documented. As a matter of fact you are becoming a victim of your own animated delivery. You risk becoming a caricature of yourself. National television cameras are constantly pointed in your direction. Producers endlessly train them on you because of your wildly animated reactions.

I feel if you were to tone down your demeanor and save that emotion to use at crucial times, you will find it to be a valuable weapon in your arsenal. As it stands the officials have their eye on you. Your reputation precedes you. Your behavior could actually be costing your team a few penalties a game. I think it would only be human nature that a bias may develop.

Moving away from the field of play, it seems as if some of these same issues follow you into the press conferences. I fully understand that some members of the media at times may ask obvious questions, at times may be trying to lead you astray. Maybe a good public relations firm can be of assistance.

These are only suggestions from a humble common fan, however I believe they can serve you well.

In a heated situation, go grab a Coke. Send in one of your assistants to start things off. Implement a cooling off period. Use statistics from the game as talking points. Check your anger at the door. I love your competitiveness, your passion, your desire to win. However, when you are making a 7 figure salary YOU will be expected to be the professional and to be able to handle the situation as a CEO.

Finally to that end, I expect you to take every responsibility to sell this program in a positive light. I respect your policy on not naming individuals on National LOI signing day. That is cool. You are doing it YOUR WAY! However, to phone it in, on a teleconference, is unacceptable to me. This is a great opportunity to sell the University, to sell YOUR Brand! National Exposure is something money can’t buy.

Even if you were reading off a prepared statement, it is an opportunity to put on your Official Husker Apparel, and get out there in front of the cameras to talk about the future and direction of your program. Your players deserve it. Your fans deserve it.

Remember somewhere out there is tomorrow’s signing class awaiting their 1st exposure to Husker Football. I’m rooting for you. I am rooting for the Huskers!

Go Big Red

Jory Knowlton

I couldn't have said it any better. Thanks Jory Knowlton.

Do we even know if Bo was in Lincoln on LOI day? I'm guessing he was out of state dealing with hiring/recruiting/other issues.

Dunno. I just thought it did a good job of explaining Bo's obvious strengths and mentioning where he could improve.

I'd add that I wish Bo could master the TO method of talking for 30 minutes at a press conference without saying anything. Osborne was an absolute master at this.

I'm not sure what the protocol is for posting user content from other websites onto Huskerboard, but this is so good that it must be shared. I will put it in quotes and not include a link for now. (Mods: is this correct?)

Bo,

Let me begin, by saying there is no question you are the right man for this job. You’re a defensive genius. Your work speaks for itself. I was as excited as anyone, when I had learned you had been hired by Tom Osborne and Harvey Perlman.

Your passion for the game of football is unparalleled. I feel, sometimes your unbridled passion, can get in your way. Your sideline antics are well documented. As a matter of fact you are becoming a victim of your own animated delivery. You risk becoming a caricature of yourself. National television cameras are constantly pointed in your direction. Producers endlessly train them on you because of your wildly animated reactions.

I feel if you were to tone down your demeanor and save that emotion to use at crucial times, you will find it to be a valuable weapon in your arsenal. As it stands the officials have their eye on you. Your reputation precedes you. Your behavior could actually be costing your team a few penalties a game. I think it would only be human nature that a bias may develop.

Moving away from the field of play, it seems as if some of these same issues follow you into the press conferences. I fully understand that some members of the media at times may ask obvious questions, at times may be trying to lead you astray. Maybe a good public relations firm can be of assistance.

These are only suggestions from a humble common fan, however I believe they can serve you well.

In a heated situation, go grab a Coke. Send in one of your assistants to start things off. Implement a cooling off period. Use statistics from the game as talking points. Check your anger at the door. I love your competitiveness, your passion, your desire to win. However, when you are making a 7 figure salary YOU will be expected to be the professional and to be able to handle the situation as a CEO.

Finally to that end, I expect you to take every responsibility to sell this program in a positive light. I respect your policy on not naming individuals on National LOI signing day. That is cool. You are doing it YOUR WAY! However, to phone it in, on a teleconference, is unacceptable to me. This is a great opportunity to sell the University, to sell YOUR Brand! National Exposure is something money can’t buy.

Even if you were reading off a prepared statement, it is an opportunity to put on your Official Husker Apparel, and get out there in front of the cameras to talk about the future and direction of your program. Your players deserve it. Your fans deserve it.

Remember somewhere out there is tomorrow’s signing class awaiting their 1st exposure to Husker Football. I’m rooting for you. I am rooting for the Huskers!

Go Big Red

Jory Knowlton

We are sponsored by Pepsi

• Fire 2

Bo,

Go Big Red

Jory Knowlton

They say that Bo has a mini-fridge of Coke in his office

Do we even know if Bo was in Lincoln on LOI day? I'm guessing he was out of state dealing with hiring/recruiting/other issues.

You'd think if he was out of town - they would have simply said he was out of town as the reason for the teleconference. Yet another gaffe by the Nebraska PR world. The fact we are still wondering a week later is...well..Nebraska for ya.

I'm sure Bo trolls this board everyday in hope that someone will tell him how to run his program.

This was one of the posts over on that *other* board where HuskerJory's open letter first appeared. Actually, I thought the letter was very well written, thoughtful and well intentioned. But it's doubtful Bo is going to take advice from a message board.

You'd think if he was out of town - they would have simply said he was out of town as the reason for the teleconference. Yet another gaffe by the Nebraska PR world. The fact we are still wondering a week later is...well..Nebraska for ya.

Depends why he was out of town. Remember there may be a pending issue pertaining to the (now former) staff. There aren't a lot of reasons I can logically think of why Bo would choose to skip the LOI presser, and that's one of them. Complete speculation on my part, though. Zero foundation.

Yet another letter/post from another fan about Bo Pelini and the way he handles things.

I'm getting really sick of Husker fans and Husker related writers right now, and I can't believe I'm even saying that.

He earns a lot of money for what he does. He is also a socially awkward individual when it comes to the camera and he he is going into this fourth year as a head coach. It's getting really tiring of people trying to tell Bo to be like TO, or to be like the other great head football coaches in our country. He isn't going to be like any of those guys. Bo is Bo and fans/writers have sat here long enough trying to debate and tell Bo how he should act.

There are some things Bo has to do - like tone down his sideline demeanor, because he is the representative of our university. At the same time, he's not going to change the way he does press conferences over night, he's not ever going to be as charismatic as TO, and HE'S NOT EVER GOING TO BE TO.

Honestly, I know everybody cares about the program and the university, but give it a freaking break.

• Fire 7

Depends why he was out of town. Remember there may be a pending issue pertaining to the (now former) staff. There aren't a lot of reasons I can logically think of why Bo would choose to skip the LOI presser, and that's one of them. Complete speculation on my part, though. Zero foundation.

Ha ha! At least you admit this up front. Unlike many of our media types and local sports reporters this past month.

Yet another letter/post from another fan about Bo Pelini and the way he handles things.

I'm getting really sick of Husker fans and Husker related writers right now, and I can't believe I'm even saying that.

He earns a lot of money for what he does. He is also a socially awkward individual when it comes to the camera and he he is going into this fourth year as a head coach. It's getting really tiring of people trying to tell Bo to be like TO, or to be like the other great head football coaches in our country. He isn't going to be like any of those guys. Bo is Bo and fans/writers have sat here long enough trying to debate and tell Bo how he should act.

There are some things Bo has to do - like tone down his sideline demeanor, because he is the representative of our university. At the same time, he's not going to change the way he does press conferences over night, he's not ever going to be as charismatic as TO, and HE'S NOT EVER GOING TO BE TO.

Honestly, I know everybody cares about the program and the university, but give it a freaking break.

Took the words right out of my mouth..er keyboard?

I'm all out of +1's right now, but I'll get you 1 later :thumbs

I think the administration is more aware of what goes on on message boards than we might think. Some love and support for Bo - which we all do (well, mostly), even when we criticize things for the sake of having something to talk about - could go a long way. The fans aren't against Bo and I'm not too sure he knows that. One thing fans of any program tend to appreciate though, is candor. Not necessarily transparency, but being able to read a lot of feel-good coachspeak from the HC.

Bo,

Go Big Red

Jory Knowlton

They say that Bo has a mini-fridge of Coke in his office

Bet Pepsi doesn't like hear that! haha. I'm from Colorado and I know they freak out if you ever ask for a "coke" (which for me just means a soda, so I get corrected with frowned faces a lot there haha)

Do you not realize that you're doing the exact same thing the letter writer is doing? He never once said directly nor implied that Bo should act like Tom Osborne. He merely (and quite rationally I might add) explained that there are better ways to go about situations than Bo is currently exercising, and encouraged him to take a look at those ideas. Then you come on, acting all high-and-mighty, and totally misinterpret what he's getting at, but then echo his sentiments by saying "There are some things Bo has to do..." and "he's not going to change the way he does press conference over night", implying that he does indeed need to change, but that it will naturally be a process.