Pelini

huskers1

Seriously what are some peoples problem with Pelini? I've heard some jabs at Pelini on this board especially the last few weeks. Is it the fact that he has turned around our program in 3 years? Is it the fact that he shows emotion on the sideline? Is it the fact that he isn't throwing one of his coaches under the bus by telling the media that they got fired? Is it the fact that supposedly he didn't tell Jackson that Sanders was fired? Even though he and his dad came out and said it was blown way out of proportion so why the hell are we sitting here dwelling on it? If Pelini leads this team to a national title I want to see everyone on this board who has been dogging on him still say we didn't win the nebraska way. I don't wanna hear this bs about Oh you just will never understand...blah blah blah. Accept the fact that this guy is not a TO clone. The sooner we accept that the better off we'll be.

• Fire 5

It's human nature for some to be bitter. I for one like the guy and don't pay attention to the people that dog him. This is a message board and Nebraska is in the heartland of the United States of America. People will use there freedom of speech to voice their opinion even when it's a waste of breath. Ignore it, Pelini does.

The only real concern I have is the issue between loyalty and striving for the best. I don't pretend to know the answer, but while I love the fact that Pelini is fiercely loyal to his players and fellow staff members, I wonder if he's sacrificing the betterment of the program in doing so. Some are disappointed that he is not after the biggest names and the brightest rising stars for coaching positions, and I can understand that sentiment. However, it might be that Pelini genuinely thinks that Beck, for instance, is the best candidate for OC at Nebraska. It's just a matter of whether or not Bo is letting his loyalty and commitment get in the way of the program. As far as the defense goes, his once-no-name assistants have all put together one of the consistently best defenses in the nation the past few years. How much of that is Bo himself, I don't know, but it remains to be seen how this "no-name" offensive staff will function. If it fails to improve, I think his loyalty, however admirable, becomes an issue.

• Fire 1

The only real concern I have is the issue between loyalty and striving for the best. I don't pretend to know the answer, but while I love the fact that Pelini is fiercely loyal to his players and fellow staff members, I wonder if he's sacrificing the betterment of the program in doing so. Some are disappointed that he is not after the biggest names and the brightest rising stars for coaching positions, and I can understand that sentiment. However, it might be that Pelini genuinely thinks that Beck, for instance, is the best candidate for OC at Nebraska. It's just a matter of whether or not Bo is letting his loyalty and commitment get in the way of the program. As far as the defense goes, his once-no-name assistants have all put together one of the consistently best defenses in the nation the past few years. How much of that is Bo himself, I don't know, but it remains to be seen how this "no-name" offensive staff will function. If it fails to improve, I think his loyalty, however admirable, becomes an issue.

I would say at this point Bo's loyalty is a liability and not an asset. His loyalty has blinded him to how bad of a coach Cotton really is

If it is true that John Garrison, an intern, is going to be one of the new offensive coaches then I think Bo leaves a lot to be desired in terms of having an eye for offensive coaching talent, to put it nicely. This guy was with the team this year and helped coach the offensive line with Cotton. How could having the same coaches on the offensive line be an improvement? Anyone?

I would like nothing more than for Bo to succeed at Nebraska, but his actions show me that he is a good defensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach and nothing more.

an intern could be the next nick saban, but until someone gives them a chance and bumps the old, ineffective, fart off in front of them off, you'd never know it.

i dont care who you are, you cant just go grab an all star list of people that have made a name for themselves for long term success. you have to find talent. give Bo a chance here.

Hes done pretty damn good on the defensive side, where he got to pick, and I'd bet my ass that you didnt know more than a couple names on his defensive staff when he first got here.

He never got to pick his offensive staff. Dont knock his choices until:

1: he actually names them

2: they actually do some coaching

• Fire 2

an intern could be the next nick saban, but until someone gives them a chance and bumps the old, ineffective, fart off in front of them off, you'd never know it.

i dont care who you are, you cant just go grab an all star list of people that have made a name for themselves for long term success. you have to find talent. give Bo a chance here.

Hes done pretty damn good on the defensive side, where he got to pick, and I'd bet my ass that you didnt know more than a couple names on his defensive staff when he first got here.

He never got to pick his offensive staff. Dont knock his choices until:

1: he actually names them

2: they actually do some coaching

Bo doesn't necessarily need an all star coaching staff, he needs at least decent coaches at every position and he doesn't have that. As it stands right now, Bo has kept Cotton as the offensive line coach (or at least co-offensive line coach.) Choosing to keep a coach from the previous year is tantamount to choosing them because he has the choice to fire said coach and doesn't. I will knock that "choice" until the cows come home. Barney adds nothing to this coaching staff. Without at least a decent offensive line, it hardly matters who the other offensive coaches are.

Pelini is looked at as a real ass by pretty much every one not in Nebraska. Pretty much ever since the Martinez sideline incident that ESPN aired 8000 times. He waited way to long to get rid of watson. He has a horrible temper. If he has a couple more years like this year, he will be gone.

A coulpe of more years like what. 10 wins seasons? Impressive and highly ranked recruiting class? Turning a destroyed prgram around? Yup run him out of town, then turn Memorial Stadium into a parking lot, because it would be game over. No coach worth his salt would come to Nebraska after something like that.

• Fire 1

Pelini is looked at as a real ass by pretty much every one not in Nebraska. Pretty much ever since the Martinez sideline incident that ESPN aired 8000 times. He waited way to long to get rid of watson. He has a horrible temper. If he has a couple more years like this year, he will be gone.

2 things i get from your post

if everyone in nebraska loves him, he'll stay. he fits our loyalty brand.

this coaching ordeal could turn into being a boon. i think a lot of people are jumping the gun. pelini protects those that are his, even if he is sending them out the door. and in the end, it doesnt matter what the 'people' think about his coaching style/hires. ask nick saban.

i think the biggest thing is this needs to play out a bit more. the tide in the media is already picking up on this.

I don't think "everyone" thinks Bo is an A**. Fist the truth is most "Don't Care" Bo is a long way from being Bobby Knight. Bo has a piss poor temper but first he has been vindicated, AKA many agree we were jobed at OK state. He is not a Slick Willy but he leaves no room to argue that he does not care for the team and players, and this will win games. The Press likes to trump up tails and for all of who have a few years of work we have seen examples of this that apply to the industries we work in.

i have to agree with a few of you that i don't get why everyone is upset with him. i think he is what we need to keep this team going in the right direction. the fire in him shows up in his players as well and they want to play for him. the media can say what they want about him but if i was a coach looking for a job i think it would help us with the way hes handling it. would you rather coach at Nebraska where your HC looks out for you or an Alabama where if u don't make it your gone out the door no questions asked. i know where i would try and get a job at if it was me and I'm sure most people would too. also whats wrong with a 10+ wins every year? i dont think if tom is still ad and bo is winning 10+ games each year even if offense doesnt turn around he gets to change the offense and not lose his job. i think if anything bo leaves on his own due to people forgetting what he has done since he got here and should be tired of the harsh criticism he gets from fans.

I don't think anyone here would assert that Bo is a perfect coach. Like every human, Bo has flaws. Those flaws sometimes exhibit themselves on a grand stage, sometimes in a big way. It is not unrealistic for people to comment on those flaws, or the missteps Bo makes. Some people may even go so far as to not like those flaws. Doesn't make them bad fans or unrealistic, it just means they observe things that Bo has done that aren't correct, and would like to see him fix.

• Fire 2

One thing that is great about Beck that might be overlooked - we know he can tollerate/work with Bo. I don't imagine Bo is the easiest guy to work for sometimes. A "big name" type of coach might mess with the coessiveness (sp?) of this staff and in return every skill he brings to the table could be wasted. I've worked with some great people but they caused friction and did more harm than good. With Beck we know what we're getting. 9 heads on the same page is worth a lot.

• Fire 1