Pelini

huskers1

People who are against Bo don't understand him or football or what he's actually accomplished.

You know. . I find it kind of funny. Okie State coach goes off with "I"m a man. I'm 40" sure he's made fun of but he's pretty much revered for sticking up for his players. Bo goes off on some refs creating a similar spectacle only in a different setting and he's chastised. Neither should have happened like they did. Neither should have been as public as they were both they both happened.

Its all a matter of timing and how how its spun by the local guys. Had the OWH not have had a vendetta against Bo and called Pearlman looking for the story the slant would have been much different. Don't you think there would have been a greater look at how that one reffing crew called billions of penalties against NU in the 3 games they officiated while calling like what 6 total against all the other teams combined. Don't you think it would have taken a more objective look to see if NU was getting "homered" by the b12 (debatable)? But no. . .our home state guys try to be TMZ and stick it to us instead. I really hope this changes. I don't want them to slobber on Bo's knob . . .but I don't want it to be a total hack job on the guy either. After all . . .they have the responsibility to shape public perception since the average fan has no clue whats going on in Lincoln.

I don't remember this happening to Gundy right before he stuck up for his player...

Comparing Gundy's 1 bad press conference, to Bo during the Texas A&M game isn't exactly apples-apples.

You mean the same player that Gundy stuck up for and that same player later interviewed that Gundy wasn't protecting him and Gundy was just putting on a show?

I don't remember this happening to Gundy right before he stuck up for his player...

Comparing Gundy's 1 bad press conference, to Bo during the Texas A&M game isn't exactly apples-apples.

That will be "dark" moment for Bo as long as he is a coach, he will grow as a coach and a leader. Someone has mentioned comparison to Bobby Knight, well that should be a compliment, although he was revered as a hot head, which the media glorified, you won't find a more passionate man about his players and the game as he was. It is always a natural attraction to the negative for the media and fans.

People---myself included, at times---seem to want to believe that Bo is doing things this way either (1) to be an ass, or (2) because he is somewhat incompetent handling things from a PR perspective. But the recent pieces on the OWH website lead me to believe more and more that Bo knows EXACTLY what he's been doing all along: By lying/playing dumb in the press about the coaching changes, he's sparing his soon-to-be-former assistants the embarrassment of being out and out fired. We all know it's BS in Nebraska, but guess who's NOT talking about coaching changes in Nebraska right now: Everyone in the other 49 states and the District of Columbia.

In that way, Bo is attempting to take care of two coaches that he respects but at the same time doing what he needs to do for his football team. Because coaching is such a closed-knit community, Bo's efforts in that regard can only come back to help Nebraska (so long as Bo is here) by showing prospective assistants that he won't hang their asses out to dry if things don't work out. It says, "You'll get your shot and even if it doesn't happen, Bo will still help you find a soft place to land."

So once again, it seems that Bo's actions, although frustrating to the fanbase and media, are for their collective good. It's a big case of, "This is going to hurt, but trust me: It's for your own good."

• Fire 1

I don't think anyone here would assert that Bo is a perfect coach. Like every human, Bo has flaws. Those flaws sometimes exhibit themselves on a grand stage, sometimes in a big way. It is not unrealistic for people to comment on those flaws, or the missteps Bo makes. Some people may even go so far as to not like those flaws. Doesn't make them bad fans or unrealistic, it just means they observe things that Bo has done that aren't correct, and would like to see him fix.

THIS.

I'm not sure where this belief that if you are critical about some aspect of a coach you hate the program business comes from. I'm glad Pelini is at Nebraska. I think, on average, he has done a good job. Apparently commenting on things that I think he could improve is unacceptable. It's very cultish thinking.

Don the rose colored glasses or you hate Nebraska football! :boxosoap

Seriously what are some peoples problem with Pelini? I've heard some jabs at Pelini on this board especially the last few weeks. Is it the fact that he has turned around our program in 3 years? Is it the fact that he shows emotion on the sideline? Is it the fact that he isn't throwing one of his coaches under the bus by telling the media that they got fired? Is it the fact that supposedly he didn't tell Jackson that Sanders was fired? Even though he and his dad came out and said it was blown way out of proportion so why the hell are we sitting here dwelling on it? If Pelini leads this team to a national title I want to see everyone on this board who has been dogging on him still say we didn't win the nebraska way. I don't wanna hear this bs about Oh you just will never understand...blah blah blah. Accept the fact that this guy is not a TO clone. The sooner we accept that the better off we'll be.

The problem with Bo being a TO clone is then we'd have to expect similar results. If Bo has the same kind of results TO did early in his career, Bo won't be around very long. TO didn't win his first outright conference championship until year eight. I don't think Nebraska fans will wait this long.

A lot of fans absolutely hate Nick Saban. However, almost all of those said fans wish he was coaching their team. You don't have to be liked to be a good/great coach.

Seriously what are some peoples problem with Pelini? I've heard some jabs at Pelini on this board especially the last few weeks. Is it the fact that he has turned around our program in 3 years? Is it the fact that he shows emotion on the sideline? Is it the fact that he isn't throwing one of his coaches under the bus by telling the media that they got fired? Is it the fact that supposedly he didn't tell Jackson that Sanders was fired? Even though he and his dad came out and said it was blown way out of proportion so why the hell are we sitting here dwelling on it? If Pelini leads this team to a national title I want to see everyone on this board who has been dogging on him still say we didn't win the nebraska way. I don't wanna hear this bs about Oh you just will never understand...blah blah blah. Accept the fact that this guy is not a TO clone. The sooner we accept that the better off we'll be.

The problem with Bo being a TO clone is then we'd have to expect similar results. If Bo has the same kind of results TO did early in his career, Bo won't be around very long. TO didn't win his first outright conference championship until year eight. I don't think Nebraska fans will wait this long.

A lot of fans absolutely hate Nick Saban. However, almost all of those said fans wish he was coaching their team. You don't have to be liked to be a good/great coach.

If Bo has the same kind of results the TO had in his first years - he wouldn't be changing coaches right now and we'd all be content to wait this one out.

1973 - #7

1974 - #7

1975 - #9

1976 - #7

1977 - #10

1978 - #8

1979 - #7

1980 - #7

1981 - #9

9 seasons of top-10 teams. Then he really got things rolling. If Bo has even 9 top-10 teams in the next 15 years I'll be damn happy w/ the results.

• Fire 2

His record really wasn't any better than what Bo has accomplished. In those first eight years, he only had three 10 win seasons and several three loss seasons. I'm still scratching my head how he managed a final ranking of #7 in 1976 when our record was 9-3-1. We lost to a Mizzou team that finished unranked, lost to Iowa State that finished #19, lost to OU that finished #5, and tied LSU that finished the season unranked. How did we finish #7? If you look at conference records their first three years, Bo and TO's records look very comparable. TO inherited a much better team and atmosphere than Bo did. As long as TO is the AD, Bo's job is secure. If we're not going to compare the teams inherited or the atmosphere around the team, then we should probably compare Bo to Solich. Solich's first three years he was 31-7. Bo's first three years he is 30-12. What happens if we have a 7-7 season in the next year or two? I do think what was inherited and the team atmosphere is important. I'd argue that Bo has done more in his three years from what he inherited than what TO or Frank did even though both of them had their teams ranked in the top 10 the majority of the time those first three years.

Here's what it comes down to....

The majority of the younger crowd on this board think Bo is a bad ass and don't care what he does or how he does it, as long as we win.

The majority of the older crowd wants a coach that represents the university and team the right way. There isn't this, win at all costs mentality.

Take note that I said majority, cause there are obviously exceptions on both sides.

Its sad that the younger generation basically has no morals or values, at least that's how they come across on this board.

what do you consider younger crowd? if in 1994 you were not in junior high yet? then i would fall into that category of young crowd. i do think he is a bad ass but to an extent i care what he does. i think he needs to rip on these kids if they mess up or do something against team rules. should he do it on the sidelines during national television probably not, but at the same time we all know coaches do it so i dont get why its that big of a deal and they might not get paid but most get a free education. the ranting and raving of penalties get old but i dont know many people who aren't tired of that. i think he represents the university well i think the heart on his sleeve is awesome and the fire he brings every week is great but he gets out of control sometimes and makes mistakes. i honestly can tell you for me if hes a 10+ a year guy i would love for him to be around a long time. this day in age with recruiting rules being a lot more fair and smaller colleges coming around and showing with talent they will compete i can handle a consistent program. i also might have a little more tolerance for it because what he has done to this program in three years from where it was he really hasn't had much time to work on his own flaws. i don't know if all is true about Watson but i think Bo has great morals. do they sometimes not show on the big screen ya but we are humans and we make mistakes and no one corrects them the first time. i don't know many people that would do what he is with the coaching staff and helping them get jobs. another thing for me is when u search him how many articles you see about him with past staff or players saying anything negative about him? i hear a lot of people say will hurt recruiting but what they see on TV doesn't seem anything like who he is behind the scenes. obviously kids and parents see that with the talent that is coming here the last few years.