Who is faster?

fishnfrank

Who wins foot race?  

106 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

First off, does it really matter? I'd be interested in whether they can actually be serviceable QB's or not.

But, as for the race, it would matter when DR's shoe comes off.

I agree --- it really does not matter who is faster. Who is the better QB? No brainer --- D. Robinson is vastly superior to the point of it being no contest whatsoever.

And... in simple terms of running ability (combining real-football quickness/speed/balance/elusiveness/field vision and ability to get yardage after contact --- Robinson is the better runner.... doubtless. He is, of course, a vastly superior passer too.

Martinez because he's Hispanic. He's used to running away from La Migra :sarcasm

(Note that a Hispanic is saying this ;) )

The only thing Hispanic about Martinez is his last name. It’s been documented in several articles. He’s no more Hispanic than Tom Osborne.

In pads or in track clothes? Distance? From what I have seen on the football field, Martinez has a slightly higher top end than Robinson.

Football field=Martinez

Track=Robinson

This argument has always been puzzling for me. Pads slow some down, but not others? Some are blazers on the track, but are slow the minute they hit field turf?

There are definitely different types of speed. The three fundamental are acceleration, max & endurance. With the exception of a real long run, it’s unlikely that you are ever doing anything other than acceleration. It takes 40 - 50 yards to reach top end.

It just reminds me of all the talk back in the day when it was stuff like University of XYZ had the grounds keeper leave the grass tall to slow down the other team. Don’t they have to play on the same field? Wouldn’t it slow down both teams?

Martinez because he's Hispanic. He's used to running away from La Migra :sarcasm

(Note that a Hispanic is saying this ;) )

The only thing Hispanic about Martinez is his last name. It’s been documented in several articles. He’s no more Hispanic than Tom Osborne.

In pads or in track clothes? Distance? From what I have seen on the football field, Martinez has a slightly higher top end than Robinson.

Football field=Martinez

Track=Robinson

This argument has always been puzzling for me. Pads slow some down, but not others? Some are blazers on the track, but are slow the minute they hit field turf?

There are definitely different types of speed. The three fundamental are acceleration, max & endurance. With the exception of a real long run, it’s unlikely that you are ever doing anything other than acceleration. It takes 40 - 50 yards to reach top end.

It just reminds me of all the talk back in the day when it was stuff like University of XYZ had the grounds keeper leave the grass tall to slow down the other team. Don’t they have to play on the same field? Wouldn’t it slow down both teams?

the pads thing shouldnt be that puzzling. extra material, equipment, etc, affects some more than others.

if it didnt, tell me why the NFL is considering requiring all players to wear standardized knee and thigh pads again? why would guys risk injury to begin with to not have them in? because it effects performance, and not equally.

why is lighter, cutting edge equipment prized?

why do some people use a 13 pound bowling ball, and some use a 16 pounder?

why doesnt every 'fastest man' become a paid professional football deep threat? gold medal 100 yard sprinters should be able to put on pads, run by everyone, and catch td's all day long by your theory. why have hundreds of guys that run the fastest times at combines in shirts and shorts consistently disappoint with their on field speed? why does the term "game speed" or its variables exist?

and it does not take 40-50 yards to reach top end unless you are a sports car. come on, man...120 feet to reach top speed? even if youre a fat ass, after 20-30 feet or so youre as fast as your ever going to be. elite athletes are at top speed in 3-5 steps. dont believe me? ask a track coach.

and it does not take 40-50 yards to reach top end unless you are a sports car. come on, man...120 feet to reach top speed? even if youre a fat ass, after 20 feet or so youre as fast as your ever going to be. elite athletes are at top speed in 3 steps. dont believe me? ask a track coach.

Athletes with good speed do no hit MaxV(Top Speed) for atleast 30 meters (33 Yards). Elite are even out to 40-50 meters. I am a track coach.

and it does not take 40-50 yards to reach top end unless you are a sports car. come on, man...120 feet to reach top speed? even if youre a fat ass, after 20 feet or so youre as fast as your ever going to be. elite athletes are at top speed in 3 steps. dont believe me? ask a track coach.

Athletes with good speed do no hit MaxV(Top Speed) for atleast 30 meters (33 Yards). Elite are even out to 40-50 meters. I am a track coach.

well, i guess youre the expert then. good thing every football play goes about 33 yards then, huh? so all those fast people can use their max, top end speed.

well, i guess youre the expert then. good thing every football play goes about 33 yards then, huh? so all those fast people can use their max, top end speed.

I'm not sure what your point is. Very rarely is top speed ever a factor in football. The majority of the time you are accelerating. I don't know how many have noticed, but Dobson spends more time talking about the 10 yd then the 40 yd dash. The 10 yd is far more relevant to football. Whether you are carrying a 13 or 16lb bowling ball or have the same kneepads on as the guy next you really doesn't affect that.

The title of this thread is 'Who is faster? - Foot race'. Obviously, there are a lot of holes in that question. Sprinters want to take longer to accelerate because you can't maintain top end speed for very long. Football, you want to get to top end as quickly as possible. Bottom line is, if you're at top speed in 10-20 yards you are a lineman and you are slow.

It's not the best explanation out there, but this link does a decent job. Look under 'Why split times are bogus'. I think it both helps and hurts my point, but....who cares.

speed link