Things I've Noticed and Heard...

BelieveN

We're not going to try and make Taylor Martinez an NFL type QB where he's trying to read the whole field. Give our QB one or two reads, if they're not open, tuck it and run à la Cam Newton at Auburn.

I don't see how this is a change from last year. They simplified things a lot for Taylor, including tossing out a large part of the playbook and even taking out the read component of a lot of zone read plays. Taylor was not sitting back there going through progressions and picking through secondaries, because he couldn't.

One of the biggest changes will be experience if we ever develop a qb that plays more than one yr. I still think carnes has a solid chance to start. Taylor has many hurdles to overcome. Health, fumbles, leadership, and maturity along with throwing, reading defenses. That's been our biggest offensive problem is qb play over last 7 years really.

Sounds good that they know what direction they will have in the offense and I can only HOPE it's executed well....

....but I'M NOT getting my hopes up this year for the third straight year. I will NOT be fooled into thinking our offense will be very good to great for the 3rd straight year. I refuse to do it again.

I will hold judgment of the offense until I see us play against Ohio State.

I will hold judgment of the the offense until I see us play against Ohio State, nah, Washington, nah, Chatta-how-ever-its-spelled, nah, spring game - yeah, I'm that gullible.

We're not going to try and make Taylor Martinez an NFL type QB where he's trying to read the whole field. Give our QB one or two reads, if they're not open, tuck it and run à la Cam Newton at Auburn.

I don't see how this is a change from last year. They simplified things a lot for Taylor, including tossing out a large part of the playbook and even taking out the read component of a lot of zone read plays. Taylor was not sitting back there going through progressions and picking through secondaries, because he couldn't.

Are you trying to say they gave him only one read when he was sitting in the pocket taking all those sacks? I don't buy it.

The more I hear about this "new" offense the more I start to dread it. Im not so fond of the Missouri, Kansas, etc, no huddle offenses where they line up and then look to the sideline for the play.

Why can't we just line up under center and pound the football? Wisconsin can do it, why can't we? Ugh :facepalm:

Bo has stated many times he wants to be multiple and expose defenses in any way possible. I assume Bo promoted Beck because they are on the same page with the new direction of the offense.

The more I hear about this "new" offense the more I start to dread it. Im not so fond of the Missouri, Kansas, etc, no huddle offenses where they line up and then look to the sideline for the play.

Why can't we just line up under center and pound the football? Wisconsin can do it, why can't we? Ugh :facepalm:

:facepalm::throw

Solution: Change your college favorite football team to Wisconsin then. Seriuosly, right now, change your team to rooting for Wisconsin.

I mean, really? It's posts like this that make me shake my head at times. "They do it why can't we do it?!" Yeah, you want to know something else? Other teams WIN BCS Bowl Games and Conference Championships. That is what we should REALLY be saying "They can do it, why can't we do it?!"

So let me get this straight: You would probably rather watch ups "line up under center and pound the football" rather than do something that WORKS?! You're telling me you would take image over substance? You have got to be kidding me. Tell me something. Did you stop watching when we switched to the West Coast Offense in 2004? I'm not saying Wisconsin's doesn't work, but that's not our style, we have to go with what we are recruiting for.

:rolleyes:

I am behind Bo 110%, he has a vision and that vision is going to be seen-through by him, because that is what we are going for, you can't put a round peg through a square hole, that is what we did on offense for the last two years and frankly, I'm sick of THAT philosophy, and am excited for some change and a breath of fresh air finally.

I too, have wishes of a few changes for our uniforms, field, sound system, stadium, and yes, I even want to see different types of plays in our offensive playbook and defensive playbook. However, I am not going to whine and complain and not watch when things aren't "exactly" how I want them if I were coaching the team.

I'm not saying you are threatening not to watch, I know some people might, but it's childish to hear crap like this. It sounds like it will just absolutely kill you if you had to watch our quarterbacks and receivers and backs look to the sideline for an audible or a hot read. This is the philosophy Bo has wanted since he stated it in December 2007, and here we are, February, almost March, 2011 and we are finally making that transition. The defense has been fixed, now it's time to see through the rest of the plan. If you don't like it, go watch some other worthless college football program. :flush

News flash: This isn't the 1990's anymore where we are 5 deep at running back with a mobile quarterback that can make throws with an offensive line that weak Big 8 teams don't see every week, and we don't have a huge edge in weightlifting either anymore. Our weightlifting program is good, don't get me wrong, but other teams have caught up.

So what do you do when you don't have an edge at something anymore? You tweak it.

I don't care what offense we run, I just want it to work and score more points than the other team. I don't give a crap about image. Give me something that works.

If we have to line up in Maryland-I and pound it up the middle for the whole season, fine, go ahead. I'm also fine lining up in 4 and 5 Wide sets on every down if we need to move the ball effectively.

Hell, if we have to run Mickey Mouse trick plays all season long to score points on offense, so be it. Something that works!

Now I know what you're saying "But Wisconsin's offense does work!" True, it does for them. However, they recruit for that system. We have been recruiting for a Spread Option offense since Bo got here. So we just can't "line up and pound the football" with smaller backs that we have now and in-coming. Granted we should run between the tackles more from under center, but that's a play-calling issue, and sticking to what works, not a philosophy issue like a "Power Running Game" as opposed to a "Balanced" "Spread Option" "Air Raid" "Spread" philosophy style.

Not sure if you have been reading, but Tim Beck, the new offensive coordinator, has stated he is still committing to running the ball effectively. You can have "power running" with a Spread Option set. It's all about the blocking schemes. For those that miss the option, the Spread Option offense is just as fun to watch, if not more fun depending on the plays that are drawn up, and just as hard to defend and cover, even if we have to "look to the sidelines for the play".

Again, not sure if you've been paying attention or not, but the defense does the same, they look for audibles from the defensive staff to change something up. That's what the linebackers and safeties do. You know they do some motion with their hands, arms, or touch a part of their uniform, to change up the play? AFTER looking towards the sideline for a tweak.

Next play result: We get off the field.

I've heard more than once people don't want this offense because of the "stupid" look to the sideline for play crap. Guess what guys? It works.

Apparently this will be up-tempo, like Oregon's base, and we are still committed to running the ball as well, and running it between the tackles, which is what you're insinuating you want, so that will be what you get, just in a different style.

I'm sorry, but with Wisconsin's strategy of 75-25 or 80-20 run, I think you HAVE to keep the defenses honest in this day and age. Just like an 80-20 pass to run ratio. Just like Georgia Tech. It looks pretty, but they aren't effective, nor very deep with their personell. You can play the pass almost every down against teams that sling it around. You need a good effective run game to mix with a wide open passing game, just like you need a good passing game with a pound it out running game.

Again though, times have changed and I think you need a GREAT defense, which is what we have, and on offense you have to be balanced, unpredictable, attacking, "multiple", adjust to the defense, take what you want, do what you need, and score some ******* points, so at the end of the play we can hear "There Is No Place Like Nebraska" blared by the band as we watch our team celebrate in the end-zone, watching the balloons fly in Memorial, or watching the other fans cry on TV as we just took what we wanted and making a name for ourselves on the road, and take this thing back to the level we used to be at and make everyone envious of everything that we have, what we want to have, and more.

:bigredn:

• Fire 3

Sounds good that they know what direction they will have in the offense and I can only HOPE it's executed well....

....but I'M NOT getting my hopes up this year for the third straight year. I will NOT be fooled into thinking our offense will be very good to great for the 3rd straight year. I refuse to do it again.

I will hold judgment of the offense until I see us play against Ohio State.

I will take any offense that, has as you say, "execution" ... if I get one type of Kool-aid it is this. w/ crisp exection you get Boise and TCU and Oregon ..... Or the Huskers of years past. W/out it talented teams look like we did last year. Sloppy play will kill even the best scheme.

Solution: Change your college favorite football team to Wisconsin then. Seriuosly, right now, change your team to rooting for Wisconsin.

I mean, really? It's posts like this that make me shake my head at times. "They do it why can't we do it?!" Yeah, you want to know something else? Other teams WIN BCS Bowl Games and Conference Championships. That is what we should REALLY be saying "They can do it, why can't we do it?!"

So let me get this straight: You would probably rather watch ups "line up under center and pound the football" rather than do something that WORKS?! You're telling me you would take image over substance? You have got to be kidding me. Tell me something. Did you stop watching when we switched to the West Coast Offense in 2004? I'm not saying Wisconsin's doesn't work, but that's not our style, we have to go with what we are recruiting for.

I am behind Bo 110%, he has a vision and that vision is going to be seen-through by him, because that is what we are going for, you can't put a round peg through a square hole, that is what we did on offense for the last two years and frankly, I'm sick of THAT philosophy, and am excited for some change and a breath of fresh air finally.

I too, have wishes of a few changes for our uniforms, field, sound system, stadium, and yes, I even want to see different types of plays in our offensive playbook and defensive playbook. However, I am not going to whine and complain and not watch when things aren't "exactly" how I want them if I were coaching the team.

I'm not saying you are threatening not to watch, I know some people might, but it's childish to hear crap like this. It sounds like it will just absolutely kill you if you had to watch our quarterbacks and receivers and backs look to the sideline for an audible or a hot read. This is the philosophy Bo has wanted since he stated it in December 2007, and here we are, February, almost March, 2011 and we are finally making that transition. The defense has been fixed, now it's time to see through the rest of the plan. If you don't like it, go watch some other worthless college football program. :flush

News flash: This isn't the 1990's anymore where we are 5 deep at running back with a mobile quarterback that can make throws with an offensive line that weak Big 8 teams don't see every week, and we don't have a huge edge in weightlifting either anymore. Our weightlifting program is good, don't get me wrong, but other teams have caught up.

So what do you do when you don't have an edge at something anymore? You tweak it.

I don't care what offense we run, I just want it to work and score more points than the other team. I don't give a crap about image. Give me something that works.

If we have to line up in Maryland-I and pound it up the middle for the whole season, fine, go ahead. I'm also fine lining up in 4 and 5 Wide sets on every down if we need to move the ball effectively.

Hell, if we have to run Mickey Mouse trick plays all season long to score points on offense, so be it. Something that works!

Now I know what you're saying "But Wisconsin's offense does work!" True, it does for them. However, they recruit for that system. We have been recruiting for a Spread Option offense since Bo got here. So we just can't "line up and pound the football" with smaller backs that we have now and in-coming. Granted we should run between the tackles more from under center, but that's a play-calling issue, and sticking to what works, not a philosophy issue like a "Power Running Game" as opposed to a "Balanced" "Spread Option" "Air Raid" "Spread" philosophy style.

Not sure if you have been reading, but Tim Beck, the new offensive coordinator, has stated he is still committing to running the ball effectively. You can have "power running" with a Spread Option set. It's all about the blocking schemes. For those that miss the option, the Spread Option offense is just as fun to watch, if not more fun depending on the plays that are drawn up, and just as hard to defend and cover, even if we have to "look to the sidelines for the play".

Again, not sure if you've been paying attention or not, but the defense does the same, they look for audibles from the defensive staff to change something up. That's what the linebackers and safeties do. You know they do some motion with their hands, arms, or touch a part of their uniform, to change up the play? AFTER looking towards the sideline for a tweak.

I've heard more than once people don't want this offense because of the "stupid" look to the sideline for play crap. Guess what guys? It works.

Apparently this will be up-tempo, like Oregon's base, and we are still committed to running the ball as well, and running it between the tackles, which is what you're insinuating you want, so that will be what you get, just in a different style.

I'm sorry, but with Wisconsin's strategy of 75-25 or 80-20 run, I think you HAVE to keep the defenses honest in this day and age. Just like an 80-20 pass to run ratio. Just like Georgia Tech. It looks pretty, but they aren't effective, nor very deep with their personell. You can play the pass almost every down against teams that sling it around. You need a good effective run game to mix with a wide open passing game, just like you need a good passing game with a pound it out running game.

Again though, times have changed and I think you need a GREAT defense, which is what we have, and on offense you have to be balanced, unpredictable, attacking, "multiple", adjust to the defense, take what you want, do what you need, and score some ******* points, so at the end of the play we can hear "There Is No Place Like Nebraska" blared by the band as we watch our team celebrate in the end-zone, watching the balloons fly in Memorial, or watching the other fans cry on TV as we just took what we wanted and making a name for ourselves on the road, and take this thing back to the level we used to be at and make everyone envious of everything that we have, what we want to have, and more.

Oh yeah, what a great point.

Thank God we don't "pound the ball" (something that worked for DECADES, winning BIG, with NCs to boot) because now we do something that WORKS!!

2009 & 2010.....now THAT is what WORKS!! Fluffball baby, since 2004.....look how far it's taken us...it's the only way!

• Fire 1

Oh yeah, what a great point.

Thank God we don't "pound the ball" (something that worked for DECADES, winning BIG, with NCs to boot) because now we do something that WORKS!!

2009 & 2010.....now THAT is what WORKS!! Fluffball baby, since 2004.....look how far it's taken us...it's the only way!

You really think the offense we ran in the 90s an early 00's will work nowadays? Sorry, it DOES NOT WORK anymore. Name one team thats had a lot of success with it? Also, if pounding the ball is your philosophy, you will NOT get the great qbs nor will you get any good WR's to keep the defense honest. Please name one team in the last decade that won a national championship while running the ball the majority of the time? Alabama had great balance so they dont count. If you run the ball the majority of the time, it is VERY easy to stop. Sorry, the power running game died when mike vick, mcnabb, etc went into the nfl an made fast qb's think they could start in the NFL. I cant think of one team that has had success strictly power running the ball and success..success meaning winning a bcs game (sorry wisconsin lost to tcu, tcu didnt have problems stopping the run and ga tech got their butts kicked by iowa in the bolw game a few years ago). As druski stated, you need good balance to win NC's, you cant be pass heavy (unless youre mike leach but he is to offense what bo is to defense)and you can not be strictly power run.