tressel situation

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1997/12/10/osborne_flashback/phillips.html talks about this, in an unflattering article. Osborne even talks about the event in his book, IIRC. It happened. He gives his side on it, but I think it was still a poor decision.

I'd never sleep if I was a head football coach. Reggie Bush isn't the only player to get improper benefits, so a coach just has to hope the alums aren't out of control. Then there's steroids and other PEDs. And players getting into trouble. It seems to me that there are dirty coaches, and coaches that don't look too closely. Maybe I'm wrong and there are a few clean programs.

Wow - I didn't follow things that closely back then (probably because I was in middle school).

Makes you wonder if we would have ended up with the 95 or 97 championships had TO been coaching today. He might not have even had a job in 95', let alone a championship. Press would have destroyed him today.

Callahan sounded good at one time if you remember correctly.

Um, no he didn't.

He has some boosters that are not happy with his antics, I can assure you.

Sounds like someone is in need of the "WHAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH-bulance"

Just my oppinion, different from most, but realistic negative as always.

fify

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/college/news/1997/12/10/osborne_flashback/phillips.html talks about this, in an unflattering article. Osborne even talks about the event in his book, IIRC. It happened. He gives his side on it, but I think it was still a poor decision.

I'd never sleep if I was a head football coach. Reggie Bush isn't the only player to get improper benefits, so a coach just has to hope the alums aren't out of control. Then there's steroids and other PEDs. And players getting into trouble. It seems to me that there are dirty coaches, and coaches that don't look too closely. Maybe I'm wrong and there are a few clean programs.

Wow - I didn't follow things that closely back then (probably because I was in middle school).

Makes you wonder if we would have ended up with the 95 or 97 championships had TO been coaching today. He might not have even had a job in 95', let alone a championship. Press would have destroyed him today.

The press did everything they could to destroy him back then. Anyone Bernard Goldman's question in a press conference? How about some of the things said by Chris Collinsworth and the CBS reporter who did the on-field interview with TO after the Fiesta Bowl.

The funny thing about it was nobody heard anything about Christian Peter or Tyrone Williams until after LP went Spiderman and we won a MNC. Not to excuse anything that these players did, but just like today, the press is more about making news than reporting it.

Anyhow, the story I heard was that TO wasn't even in town when T. Williams went gangster, and that Kevin Steele had the gun. He in turn gave it to TO, who locked it away in his office. Apparently, he tried to turn it over to Campus police who refused it, but turned it over to Lincoln police when asked for it. I could be wrong in my recollection, but that is what I recall.

The press did everything they could to destroy him back then. Anyone Bernard Goldman's question in a press conference? How about some of the things said by Chris Collinsworth and the CBS reporter who did the on-field interview with TO after the Fiesta Bowl.

Maybe, but the press of today is very different than it was in the 90's. What happens in 60 minutes today in regards to reaction/follow up used to take days or weeks back then. Research is easier, fan reaction is exponentially louder, stories spread accross the nation in minutes rather than days, etc.

Look at some of the things coaches have been fired for recently. Leach locked a kid in a closet after becoming one of the winningest coaches in Tech history - gone. Tressel didn't tell his boss about some sold rings and he's suspended and fined more than TO ever made in a single year coaching. TO influenced judicial procedings, tampered with witnesses, and played known felons and everyone loved him. Cam Newton has a questionable past that involves a laptop and there are 5,000 articles written, and 15,000 tweets on it. TO lets a batch of convicts play and goes down a legend.

I know saying anything negative about TO in this forum is just as unpopular as saying something negative about Martinez...but come on, some of the decisions TO made in the 90's would not have gone over the same today. To think it would have is ignoring the reality that is modern day college athletics.

If anyone else in the state had tampered with witnesses, I wonder what would have happened to them? I'm not condemning TO for what he did and didn't do, but those in glass houses shouldn't cast stones. We shouldn't be condemning Tressel for what he did either. However, I believe the coach should get the same treatment as the players involved. Since they received a five game suspension, he should receive the same. There are times when I hear Husker fans berate Sooner and Hurricane fans for thug U that I just shudder. People tend to forget all the troubled souls we had starting on that 95' NC team.

Maybe, but the press of today is very different than it was in the 90's. What happens in 60 minutes today in regards to reaction/follow up used to take days or weeks back then. Research is easier, fan reaction is exponentially louder, stories spread accross the nation in minutes rather than days, etc.

Look at some of the things coaches have been fired for recently. Leach locked a kid in a closet after becoming one of the winningest coaches in Tech history - gone. Tressel didn't tell his boss about some sold rings and he's suspended and fined more than TO ever made in a single year coaching. TO influenced judicial procedings, tampered with witnesses, and played known felons and everyone loved him. Cam Newton has a questionable past that involves a laptop and there are 5,000 articles written, and 15,000 tweets on it. TO lets a batch of convicts play and goes down a legend.

You could be right. I think that the Leach thing was way overblown, and was used as an excuse for Tech to get rid of him due to him job shopping.

As for the bolded, who was a convicted felon that was allowed to play? Washington was accused, but found not guilty.

I know saying anything negative about TO in this forum is just as unpopular as saying something negative about Martinez...but come on, some of the decisions TO made in the 90's would not have gone over the same today. To think it would have is ignoring the reality that is modern day college athletics.

You may be right, but I still think that the press did what they could to soil his reputation back then. The national media hated TO, tried to make him a laughing stock, and once he started winning MNCs, they started the hit parade. Not that certain players (and he) didn't deserve some criticism. But the press was hoping for it, no doubt about it.

As for the bolded, who was a convicted felon that was allowed to play? Washington was accused, but found not guilty.

That's why I said "known" felon, not convicted. We all knew a few of these guys were felons - the courts just hadn't proved it yet :)

If they were not found guilty, they can't be considered felons, no matter how unsavory some of their actions may have been <_<

That's why I said "known" felon, not convicted. We all knew a few of these guys were felons - the courts just hadn't proved it yet :)

If they were not found guilty, they can't be considered felons, no matter how unsavory some of their actions may have been <_<

Philips isn't in jail today?

Philips isn't in jail today?

Sure, but his felony wasn't until years after he left.

Gotcha!

Wow Tressel knowingly lies to the NCAA and people on this board are almost apologizing for him. It amazes me what a sweater vest and some glasses can do to pull a blind eye over people. The amount of violations alone is enough to condem most coaches but Tressel is paraded around as this figure of integrity. I makes me sick to look at him. I hope he stays at that school that loses to the SEC on a consistent baises and makes the conference that our beloved huskers recently joined look bad. I hate everything about Ohio State and hate everything about the favoritism shown to them by the NCAA. Allowing those players to play in that bowl game was a discrace. I hope Nebraska beats them so bad that Tressel gives all his sweater vest to NU fans to burn in downtown Lincoln.

HA!...from Bruce Hooley..OSU home town radio guy and host of The Big Show 97.1 in Cbus on the Schick and Nick show today...worth the listen.

http://1620thezone.com/play_window.php?audioType=Episode&audioId=5204505

Yeah heard it on my drive to work this morning. Good stuff!

Interesting that he mentioned that every previous coach (26 total in various sports) that violated bylaw 10-1 which is lying to the NCAA had all been fired. Hmmm....

Wow Tressel knowingly lies to the NCAA and people on this board are almost apologizing for him. It amazes me what a sweater vest and some glasses can do to pull a blind eye over people. The amount of violations alone is enough to condem most coaches but Tressel is paraded around as this figure of integrity. I makes me sick to look at him. I hope he stays at that school that loses to the SEC on a consistent baises and makes the conference that our beloved huskers recently joined look bad. I hate everything about Ohio State and hate everything about the favoritism shown to them by the NCAA. Allowing those players to play in that bowl game was a discrace. I hope Nebraska beats them so bad that Tressel gives all his sweater vest to NU fans to burn in downtown Lincoln.

Well said.

He is a copy response about Tressel on a SbB article. Guys name is Chris and I agree 1 million percent with him.

By Chris

If you actually listened to the news conference you heard some very disturbing comments by the athletic director and University president. Both stated categorically Tressel would not loose his job and there NEVER was any consideration to fire him. How can these men make this statement before they had ever completed any investigation?

They repeatedly mentioned his body of work, which in their minds means his win - loss record at OSU. What it should have meant was the rules violations from the Clarett revelations after their National Championship game, Troy Smith problems, or maybe his failure to report violations at Youngstown State.

I am really disappointed in the OSU president and athletic director for not taking the morally correct action. Tressel’s contract stated explicitly he must report any potential violations of NCAA rules by his players immediately to the University administration (which he obliviously did not do) or be terminated from coaching the football team.

This proves to many of us that winning, no matter what you do, is all that matters in collegiate sports. This is so sad!