New OL Coach?

Think he's a great addition to the staff. He has ties to CA and AZ. Could help west coast recruiting.

He won't be able to recruit. Grad. Assistants and Interns are limited in their roles.

Not off campus, but I don't think there is any rules against him putting in calls to his ties - or getting Carl in the door. Not really sure how that works but someone like Jamrog isn't able to "recruit" but that basically just means he can't make visits or interact with recruits off campus. Otherwise, it's fair game though.

It depends what Stai's coming in as. It is my understanding as Caputo put it that Stai is coming in as an Intern, which isn't the same thing as Grad. Assistant. Therefore, if he's coming in as an Intern, then by NCAA definition, he is a non-coaching staff member. In which case he will not be able to recruit at all whatsoever. His only form of contact with potential recruits are during their official visits on-campus, but that's it.

On the other hand, if Stai is coming in as a Grad. Assistant, then he will be able to recruit on-campus (can't recruit off-campus though) as well as making/taking phone calls from potential recruits. Grad. Assistants are considered by NCAA definition, a coaching staff member.

My original reply to HuskerT was under the assumption that Stai was coming in as an Intern, hence the "no recruiting" response.

Mike Caputo confirmed it in the presser yesterday. That makes three coaches of varying titles on the O Line this year:

Barney Cotton - Associate Head Coach/Offensive Line

John Garrison - Assistant Offensive Line/Tight Ends

Brenden Stai - Grad Assistant

<_< IMHO Cotton should have been fired after this past season. He has not done the job. Our offensive line used to be one of the best in the country, and now relies on the running ability of our QB to make any progress down the field. I predict another sub-par season with the offensive line at this point, nothing gives me any reason to believe any different, unless Beck can kick Barney in the butt and get him fired up so he will do the same with the offensive line players. Watson obviously couldn't do it.

Mike Caputo confirmed it in the presser yesterday. That makes three coaches of varying titles on the O Line this year:

<_< IMHO Cotton should have been fired after this past season. He has not done the job. Our offensive line used to be one of the best in the country, and now relies on the running ability of our QB to make any progress down the field. I predict another sub-par season with the offensive line at this point, nothing gives me any reason to believe any different, unless Beck can kick Barney in the butt and get him fired up so he will do the same with the offensive line players. Watson obviously couldn't do it.

Roy Helu and Rex burkhead did nothing behind that line last season <_<

IMO clean up the penalties and false starts and we will see the line that we want to see. More coaches on the line can only be positive for us. Cotton in only one coach responsible for 5 starters. What other coach has that many starters to worry about?

Plus we have some young studs coming up on the line this year.

Imo, Barney deserves a chance to work under a competent OC. SW was a total disaster at NU but maybe Beck is a HUGE improvement for NU & Barney. We'll see....