UNO to DI.....but

I feel bad anyone associated with UNO athletics today. I understand they want to play with big fishes in Div 1. But at the expense of the wrestling and football teams. I just dont get it. People in this state love their football and wrestling. Plus add the fact the wrestling team just won their 3rd NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP in a row. I cant imagine the press conference going very well today, probably will be some protester out front.

“It's my responsibility to do what's in the best interest of UNO long-term,” Christensen said. “While this recommendation was unimaginable two or three years ago, it's clear to me business as usual is not sustainable.''

The numbers simply don't work for taking the UNO football team up to the Football Championship Subdivision, the group of smaller Division I schools formerly known as Division I-AA. The cost of offering 27 additional football scholarships, and then adding women's sports to comply with gender equity requirements, are prohibitive, Christensen and Alberts said.

“The reality is I simply cannot afford to take football to Division I,'' Alberts said.

Gender equity requirements? Complete and total BS. So part of this decision involves sinking ship sports dragging down ones that might have a chance?

And what are the football sacrificial lamb payments these days? Schedule a few away football games people!

“It's my responsibility to do what's in the best interest of UNO long-term,” Christensen said. “While this recommendation was unimaginable two or three years ago, it's clear to me business as usual is not sustainable.''

The numbers simply don't work for taking the UNO football team up to the Football Championship Subdivision, the group of smaller Division I schools formerly known as Division I-AA. The cost of offering 27 additional football scholarships, and then adding women's sports to comply with gender equity requirements, are prohibitive, Christensen and Alberts said.

“The reality is I simply cannot afford to take football to Division I,'' Alberts said.

Gender equity requirements? Complete and total BS. So part of this decision involves sinking ship sports dragging down ones that might have a chance?

And what are the football sacrificial lamb payments these days? Schedule a few away football games people!

Title XI.

Does Hockey lose money for UNO? Anyone know?

I believe UNO is flushing everything down the toilet for Hockey.

Quote from article. Wrestling team probably hadn't even made it home from Kearney yet.

After receiving the Summit League bid Friday, Alberts waited until after the Maverick wrestlers wrapped up the national title Saturday night before beginning to notify coaches of the plan. Alberts met with UNO football coach Pat Behrns at 10 p.m. and was attempting to reach wrestling coach Mike Denney by phone late Saturday night.

The hockey program, once seen as a golden goose, started losing money after moving to the cavernous and pricey Qwest Center in 2003. It's expected the success of this year's team will help UNO make money on hockey for the first time in six years.

More Omaha.com

In 2002-03, UNO’s last year playing at the Civic Auditorium, the school cleared nearly $1 million in profit from hockey. In contrast, UNO reported, the school’s only Division I program lost $150,000 in 2008-09 at the Qwest Center.

Really? This much vitriol over UNO football and wrestling? Has anyone ever attended a game? Losing football does make sense when you read the article. Its expensive, and going D1 will add more cost than bloodgames pay. Title IX is more of the issue if you ask me, but since that outdated pos is not going away, its a matter of making due. I think the reason people get fired up is its football, and we all love football. But really. They play on the same day the Huskers do, and will never compete on the same level. And as it would take millions more funding for it, its sad, but I get it. As to wrestling, I could not care less, that is a sport I have never understood. Its successful, yet not exactly something John Q. Public goes out to attend.

Trev Alberts isnt getting fired. Hell, most people won't even know UNO football is gone. Hockey is the school's future. Expect a new hockey arena where the football stadium sits. All signs point to it team being a title contender with the coach they have, and an on campus facility should swing it back to a money maker.

And for the record, UNO will probably win a game in the NCAA tournament before NU does...

• Fire 3