UNO to DI.....but

Fire him. This is the stupidest proposal I've ever heard of in my life. Screw hockey-keep football and wrestling.

You can't be serious. More people prob. went to the Ohio St. hockey series a few weeks ago than the entire season for football and wrestling combined.

25,248 total went to those two games (Wisky, not OSU). A little over 26,000 went to 7 football games. No question which program is more valuable. Tough break for the football team, but maybe the dept. will stabilize and they can figure out how to get it back.

Fire him. This is the stupidest proposal I've ever heard of in my life. Screw hockey-keep football and wrestling.

You can't be serious. More people prob. went to the Ohio St. hockey series a few weeks ago than the entire season for football and wrestling combined.

25,248 total went to those two games (Wisky, not OSU). A little over 26,000 went to 7 football games. No question which program is more valuable. Tough break for the football team, but maybe the dept. will stabilize and they can figure out how to get it back.

Ya you are right, it was Wisconsin. Last year they sold out Ohio St. and Michigan in back to back weekends.

And there are plenty of teams that compete at a D-1 level in BB and FCS sub for football.

I live in Dayton Ohio and let me tell you, people here love the Dayton Flyers (A-10) basketball. They also have a non-scholarship lower division football team (Pioneer league) and even though Ohio State is 1 hour away, University of Cincinnati is 1 hour away and Miami of Ohio is 1 hour away people love the Flyers even in football.

Alberts “had mentioned to me he had been told it was highly unlikely the regents would approve Division I football, and he knew that was a major hurdle,'' Sokol said. “Trev said even Tom told him he would not be supportive of that.''

lots of stuff flying around these days. all i believe, is that its likely not either black or white (or simply the black vs the red) but a combination of many different things, many of which we'll never know for sure.

World Herald David Sokol Piece

what interests me...is that your biggest athletic department donor was shut out altogether (granted, hes a football guy, but still, what reason could it be that he doesnt at least get a courtesy call?) with all the talk of it being strictly financial decision, that every avenue was explored...well, that doesnt hold a lot of water to me.

• Fire 1

190282_10150161056820479_60589185478_8649802_5199495_n.jpg

Mike Kemp and I at a monday luncheon on the UNO campus to benefit the Omaha Literacy Center.

He was the consummate professional, smartly countering offhand inquiries into the obvious questions from some pretty heavy Omaha hitters throughout the day with humor and grace-but nothing solid or juicy I can comfortably translate here. Jacques Demers, a Stanley Cup winning coach and current Canadian Senator was the keynote speaker- he accomplished all of this without the ability to read or write. Quite a remarkable man.

Check out my sweet, wrinkly, lazy suite thing get-up. I have refused to tuck in my shirt since getting out of the military. Just one of those things.

Most impressive was Mike Kemps cell phone wrangling- the man is an expert at taking/ignoring calls while continuing a conversation.

There's been a resurgance in UNO hockey past couple of years. This year they're ranked 15th, and have the 3rd best record in the WCHA, which might be the best conference in college hockey.

It sucks that they cut wrestling and football, and its obvious it's a money grab. Just don't say screw hockey, without knowing what's going on with that team.

i agree walksalone, that hockey should not be blamed as it were...but the initiation of the hockey program is what led to the current mess of the inflation of the entire athletic budget, and has been admitted by UNO staff itself. UNO hockey was operating in the green (and the overall percentage/ratio of the athletic budget it kicked back was nothing like Nebraska football supporting other sports) until the move to the qwest center...

it seems to a lot of folks this is a case of the fat man buying bigger pants than simply trying to lose weight to fit into the old ones, which is the picture that is attempted to be painted with the cut of the football and wrestling programs to facilitate the move to complete div 1 sports in the summit league.

The whole budget mess at UNO has been from horrific mismanagement and down right fraud by past administrations. Had everything been run by quality people for the last decade or so it would be in better shape. And I don't totally dismiss the idea that the board of reagents would block any UNO move to D1 football.

There's been a resurgance in UNO hockey past couple of years. This year they're ranked 15th, and have the 3rd best record in the WCHA, which might be the best conference in college hockey.

It sucks that they cut wrestling and football, and its obvious it's a money grab. Just don't say screw hockey, without knowing what's going on with that team.

If it weren't for the successful hockey program, we'd more like be talking about a drop to division 3 instead of cuts associated with a rise to division 1.

i agree walksalone, that hockey should not be blamed as it were...but the initiation of the hockey program is what led to the current mess of the inflation of the entire athletic budget, and has been admitted by UNO staff itself. UNO hockey was operating in the green (and the overall percentage/ratio of the athletic budget it kicked back was nothing like Nebraska football supporting other sports) until the move to the qwest center...

it seems to a lot of folks this is a case of the fat man buying bigger pants than simply trying to lose weight to fit into the old ones, which is the picture that is attempted to be painted with the cut of the football and wrestling programs to facilitate the move to complete div 1 sports in the summit league.

I guess in hindsight, they should have belayed the move, until the hockey program was entrenched as a perrenial power.