Spring Practice Primer: Nebraska

Nexus

College football has no offseason. Every coach knows that the preparation for September begins now, in Spring Practice. So we here at the Eye on College Football will get you ready as teams open spring ball with our Spring Practice Primers. Today, we look at Nebraska, who opened spring camp on Saturday.

Continue Reading

i think that walks a nice line between kool-aid and reality. i would be happy with 9-10 wins going into a title game showing, and I dont think its too much to ask for.

every big ten team is going to have us circled in red and be up for the game-gotta show the new guy whats up...but I think Nebraska's experience in dealing with divisions and the unique challenges they bring will help them keep an even keel, and their eyes on the prize.

i think that walks a nice line between kool-aid and reality. i would be happy with 9-10 wins going into a title game showing, and I dont think its too much to ask for.

every big ten team is going to have us circled in red and be up for the game-gotta show the new guy whats up...but I think Nebraska's experience in dealing with divisions and the unique challenges they bring will help them keep an even keel, and their eyes on the prize.

10 wins and to play for the B1G Title Game. Anything else is gravy--remember, first year of a new offense and all.

like the article said, as long as we stay healthy! thats a big key for us this year

eh, thats a 'big key' for every bowl worthy college program starting the season. might as well say the stadium not blowing up is a big key. its never happened before...but guys like rex and tmart have blown up themselves.

One quote that stood out to me...

"Bad and unexpected things may happen along the way, but the spring status quo seems to indicate that fans in Lincoln should set high expectations for the 2011 season."

That is what happened last season. I think we have learned our lesson to have more realistic expectations. Not that last year's was unrealistic, its just that this year features a tougher schedule and a reloading defense. Those two don't equal a Big Ten Championship spot in Indy this year, if it does, it just means I over-estimated our opponents toughness.

"Bad and unexpected things may happen along the way, but the spring status quo seems to indicate that fans in Lincoln should set high expectations for the 2011 season."

That is what happened last season. I think we have learned our lesson to have more realistic expectations. Not that last year's was unrealistic, its just that this year features a tougher schedule and a reloading defense. Those two don't equal a Big Ten Championship spot in Indy this year, if it does, it just means I over-estimated our opponents toughness.

You're dreaming. This will never happen.

You're dreaming. This will never happen.

Very true :LOLtartar

That was an interesting article. Definitely doesn't sugar-coat the truth but still leaves room for a positive season.

I don't think Nebraska fans' expectations last year were too high. In fact, from a talent standpoint, we had a lot of the pieces necessary to win a national championship. We had a championship caliber defense, an offense with depth and a talented starting running back. A freshman quarterback was the biggest problem but even then it seemed workable throughout most of the season. I chalked up last season's failures to coaching and development, for the most part. I think we had the pieces there to at least go to a BCS game, however.

I think it's funny how all of these "experts" do these predictions and it seems as though they never speak of the offensive line. My goodness that is the most important part of a football team. How about instead of worrying about a defensive secondary replacing some guys that is coached by one of the best defensive coaches in the country worry about an offensive line that played awful down the stretch last year and is coached by an unproven Barney Cotton. Please no one say Cotton is a proven coach because I will throw up.

I think it's funny how all of these "experts" do these predictions and it seems as though they never speak of the offensive line. My goodness that is the most important part of a football team. How about instead of worrying about a defensive secondary replacing some guys that is coached by one of the best defensive coaches in the country worry about an offensive line that played awful down the stretch last year and is coached by an unproven Barney Cotton. Please no one say Cotton is a proven coach because I will throw up.

i concur.......barney must have some good pictures of his boss with some farm animals!