Why Nebraska left for "greener" pastures...

I liked the info. but if they earn more than the SEC it will not last long, only till the SEC gets new contracts. No way this group of teams has more value than the SEC. Over all I'm glad things are working but common sense tells me that things are not as good as they seem in the Big 12-2.

They really need to proof-read the article:

The projections of greater TV revenue were one tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

Should read: The projections of greater TV revenue were what the tool commissioner Dan Beebe used to keep the conference intact as teams considered moves to the Pac-10 , Big Ten and SEC.

I lol'd.

But again, we're including Bowl payouts, NCAA tourney appearances, and the Big XII title game money. The B1G figures of $22 million/school are only for Big 10 Network revenue and ESPN/ABC payouts. These payouts did not include bowl game revenue or title game revenue ($20 million/yr for the conference, or $1.67 million/school).
My understanding was that the Big# got to the 20 million number by double counting the bowl revenue.

But again, we're including Bowl payouts, NCAA tourney appearances, and the Big XII title game money. The B1G figures of $22 million/school are only for Big 10 Network revenue and ESPN/ABC payouts. These payouts did not include bowl game revenue or title game revenue ($20 million/yr for the conference, or $1.67 million/school).

My understanding was that the Big# got to the 20 million number by double counting the bowl revenue.

That I wasn't aware of. Did anyone in the media call them on that?

---

And Fro--I'm not trying to **** on you, man. I do hope that Mizzou ends up in the B1G, and I honestly think an expansion to 14 teams will include Missouri and/or Kansas, as I don't think the base subscriber rate increase by adding a NY/NJ footprint would counter the hit to brand quality by bringing on a Rutgers or Syracuse instead.

No ****ing on me, just a conversation. And I got the 90 million from Bloomburg and Street and Smith's SBJ. But I am sure those two companies dont know what they are talking about because Matt's College sports blog said something else. ;):lol: (just messing with ya buddy :thumbs )

**EDIT** on a side note, everyone could be off on the numbers. Very few people know what is really going to happen and until this thing is finalized and announced its really all hearsay. And i was really just razzing ya :) )

I think we are talking about two separate things here. I am not questioning the value of the big10 or the money that is already being made. In fact I have not said anything about the big10. I was just posting what I had read and heard from my circles about what was a likely possibility for the big12. Your debating that the big10 is still getting more money. That may very well be true. But that was not my point. My point was that the big12 is on the verge of inking a deal that keeps a great deal of money coming into the other schools and not just texas. Its all good if NE can make 24 million a year. But if MU/OSU/TT and whoever else can make 20-22 its better than 11-15 isnt it? Basically you posted saying the big12 schools would get around 16 million. I posted with what I have heard or seen that puts that number at 20.

And you are right that those payouts include the bowl and NCAA payouts. That is the norm for all conference payout totals from my knowledge, including the big10. And its not like that number is going down. CU did nothing and as I said NE's football bowl money can and most likely will be made up immediately with Tx going back to bowls or an additional team qualifying. Also I fully understand the tiers and selection process for the tv contracts. Currently the deals that are being discussed, which I am sure you are fully aware of are a renegotiation of the ABC/ESPN 1st tier(currently worth $60 million), the possible $70 million increase from Fox on the second tier (currently worth $20 million) and the addition of a true big12 network that will carry games and Olympic sports from the 8 not doing their own network ( estimated to be between 10-16 million) Yes it is not quite big10 money and its not going to equal a new SEC deal either. But its better than other big 6 conference deals that are out there, and it is an increase that for however long it last, 2 years or the 13 years that the deal is rumored to be, keeps a competitive balance of funds for the schools in order to compete with others in the big10 and sec.

Personally if it goes as reported, or very close to what is reported, it will be a win. I may not like everything about the big12, its leadership or members. But if my school can make close to 20 or more while putting up with all that, then i feel better than i would if things had not changed financially

That I wasn't aware of. Did anyone in the media call them on that?

---

only as far as message boards are "media"

• 3 weeks later...