Bubba Starling will be facing decision of a lifetime

ADS

A crowd forms near the baseball practice field at Gardner Edgerton High. People have gathered to watch Bubba.

Some of the bystanders lean against the bleachers; another stands near the dugout. An old man pets a small dog and talks about how he had nothing better to do, so he figured he’d come see the kid they’re all talking about.

Some say Bubba Starling can run a 4.3-second 40-yard dash and throw a football 50 yards from his knees. He’s signed to play quarterback at Nebraska, and he plans to play baseball in Lincoln, too. On the basketball court, he can shoot the three-pointer and dunk over most anyone. And if he ran track, the Blazers probably would win state this year.

He’s 6-foot-5 and 193 pounds, and if you haven’t seen him hit a baseball, stand here, boy, and watch them fly — because it’ll change the way you think about youth’s potential. They say this is the sport that will someday make him a millionaire. Maybe someday soon.

“It’s going to be hard to not go to college,” Bubba says. “They treat you real well. You’re like a god up there.”

Read more...

The latest I've heard is that Arizona has told he and Boras that he won't drop below #3 in the draft...

IMO, I could see him actually signing with Arizona. Pittsubrgh(1), Seattle(2), Baltimore(4) - don't see those teams being as ideal when you consider location, etc. If he makes it to #5 and the Royals pick him (which we all know they would)...he's gone. Unless they don't think they could pay him what Boras will demand that is. I think it would work in our favor for him to go higher versus falling to KC at 5 though.

Some say Bubba Starling can run a 4.3-second 40-yard dash and throw a football 50 yards from his knees. He’s signed to play quarterback at Nebraska, and he plans to play baseball in Lincoln, too. On the basketball court, he can shoot the three-pointer and dunk over most anyone. And if he ran track, the Blazers probably would win state this year.

THAT BILL BRASKY IS A SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!

• Fire 1
i hope he comes and plays for NU, but i just dont see it happening. it would not be a smart move to risk injury and potentialy lose millions of dollars

As much as I love the Huskers, if this were my decision, it wouldn't even be worth thinking about. Take the money and play baseball. Absolutely easiest decision imaginable IMO.

i hope he comes and plays for NU, but i just dont see it happening. it would not be a smart move to risk injury and potentialy lose millions of dollars

As much as I love the Huskers, if this were my decision, it wouldn't even be worth thinking about. Take the money and play baseball. Absolutely easiest decision imaginable IMO.

True.

But to some, There's more important things than money.

There's the love of the game.

A true breath of fresh air. Money is not everything. Mom and Dad have wanted him to go to college since he was born I am sure. His goals have been college for quite a while it would seem. Accomplishing your goals is success.

My guess is he will go the baseball route. Father losing his job, mom working as a secratary, is not that secure. He seems like a down to earth kid, financial security is something that will be looked at very closely. I would love for him to come Nebraska if that is his lifetime goal, which it might be. If not there will be no negative about it. You have to do what is best for family.

This is the type of kid Nebraska always needs to recruit. Down to earth, not demanding the center of the stage. A very good article.

I wish him luck in what ever he decides.

A true breath of fresh air. Money is not everything. Mom and Dad have wanted him to go to college since he was born I am sure. His goals have been college for quite a while it would seem. Accomplishing your goals is success.

My guess is he will go the baseball route. Father losing his job, mom working as a secratary, is not that secure. He seems like a down to earth kid, financial security is something that will be looked at very closely. I would love for him to come Nebraska if that is his lifetime goal, which it might be. If not there will be no negative about it. You have to do what is best for family.

This is the type of kid Nebraska always needs to recruit. Down to earth, not demanding the center of the stage. A very good article.

I wish him luck in what ever he decides.

Yeah, as a fan base we need to support him in whatever he does. Even if he never plays a down of football or throws a single pitch in lincoln he will always be a husker. It would be selfish of us to resent him for for going pro.

True.

But to some, There's more important things than money.

There's the love of the game.

True enough.

That said, if he does choose baseball over football (and college) it could be that he loves playing baseball as much as (or more than) football. He could chose baseball for the love of the game (with the money as a bonus).

A way to look at it it this --- the decision is football with college versus baseball as a pro with money. Sure, if he goes to NU he will play BB too... but if he really wants to pursue baseball he' go pro.

Money can't buy you everything...

Starling's decision isn't too much different than Suh's decision after his Jr. year. And it worked out ok for him, coming back to Lincoln.

It's VERY different.

- Suh's money was a mere 11 months away when he made his decision to come back. Starling's will be over 3 years away.

- Suh had a fat insurance policy to guarentee his decision. I don't know but I doubt Starling has one, and if he does it wouldn't be anywhere near the amount Suh's would have guarenteed him if injured. The extremely high premiums would need to be paid for 3 years of risk, not months.

- Suh almost had his degree. Even if Starling comes here and decides to leave in 3 years he'll won't have his degree. The only way to get that degree is to commit for a full 4 years.

- If Suh came back, had a disapointing senior year and fell to the very bottom of the 1st round he was still getting over 7 million guarenteed money. Starling falls out of the first round and he goes from being a guarenteed millionaire to "maybe" signing for a around a million. That's not a lifetime of financial security by any means.

- Suh was a proven college athlete, with a guarenteed starting spot. Starling could be riding the bench for the next couple years.

- Generally HS baseball players are worth more than college baseball players when it comes to draft contracts.

The RISK for Starling is tremendous. Not just monetarily. Suh had very little risk. He was going to be a millionair in 11 months regardless.