Bubba Starling will be facing decision of a lifetime

ADS

Take the money and run, Bubba. Sounds like his family needs it.

would you accept a significant amount of money from your son? it'd be a really hard thing for me to do anyway, this may not be an issue.

If my wife and I needed the money and he was offering it then I'd try to not let my pride get in the way.

How many times do you hear a player who's been asked what he is gonna do with his money that he was gonna buy a new house for his parents? Bubba wouldn't be the only player to give his parents some of his money.

Take the money and run, Bubba. Sounds like his family needs it.

would you accept a significant amount of money from your son? it'd be a really hard thing for me to do anyway, this may not be an issue.

If my wife and I needed the money and he was offering it then I'd try to not let my pride get in the way.

How many times do you hear a player who's been asked what he is gonna do with his money that he was gonna buy a new house for his parents? Bubba wouldn't be the only player to give his parents some of his money.

At the risk of being accused of being a racist (which I am not), it's usually a house for "my momma" :thumbs

The most tell-tale part of that article, which tried hard to paint a picture of a young man truly teetering on the brink of turning down the money for college, was this:

Bubba is approaching a difficult crossroads, and his family is, too. The reality behind this tall tale isn’t all that uncommon these days: He’s part of a family struggling with finances, hoping for a calmer tomorrow but aware that nothing is guaranteed.

Jimbo lost his job in January, let go during a five-minute talk after 18 years with the company. So far, the interviews haven’t yielded another steady paycheck. Deb clips coupons on Sundays, and in past years when Bubba played in summer baseball tournaments, the family drove to Tennessee or New Orleans and called it their vacation.

What good will college do this kid when his family loses his boyhood home if his dad can't find a job?

I really, really want Bubba here. He seems like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of recruit. But this kid has to deal with reality, too. Kid or young man, he simply cannot turn down the money.

If he doesn't make it in baseball, Nebraska football will always be there for him. Weeden from OSU did it.

Something tells me his dad could find a job in Lincoln or omaha pretty easily :D

• Fire 1

Starling's decision isn't too much different than Suh's decision after his Jr. year. And it worked out ok for him, coming back to Lincoln.

It's VERY different.

- Suh's money was a mere 11 months away when he made his decision to come back. Starling's will be over 3 years away.

- Suh had a fat insurance policy to guarentee his decision. I don't know but I doubt Starling has one, and if he does it wouldn't be anywhere near the amount Suh's would have guarenteed him if injured. The extremely high premiums would need to be paid for 3 years of risk, not months.

- Suh almost had his degree. Even if Starling comes here and decides to leave in 3 years he'll won't have his degree. The only way to get that degree is to commit for a full 4 years.

- If Suh came back, had a disapointing senior year and fell to the very bottom of the 1st round he was still getting over 7 million guarenteed money. Starling falls out of the first round and he goes from being a guarenteed millionaire to "maybe" signing for a around a million. That's not a lifetime of financial security by any means.

- Suh was a proven college athlete, with a guarenteed starting spot. Starling could be riding the bench for the next couple years.

- Generally HS baseball players are worth more than college baseball players when it comes to draft contracts.

The RISK for Starling is tremendous. Not just monetarily. Suh had very little risk. He was going to be a millionair in 11 months regardless.

Let me also add that SUH had 3 years playing time so he had emotional buy in, kinda like how it is hard to quit a job you like to move up to better things. For 5 million he can always go back to school if injured or a failure at the next level. I'd go.

Some say Bubba Starling can run a 4.3-second 40-yard dash and throw a football 50 yards from his knees. He’s signed to play quarterback at Nebraska, and he plans to play baseball in Lincoln, too. On the basketball court, he can shoot the three-pointer and dunk over most anyone. And if he ran track, the Blazers probably would win state this year.

THAT BILL BRASKY IS A SONOFABITCH!!!!!!!!!!

This is an awesome post!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It made me LoL.

To Bill Brasky!!!!!

He injects whiskey straight into his neck!!!!

Me and my buddies replaced Bill Brasky with Bo Pelini.

The most tell-tale part of that article, which tried hard to paint a picture of a young man truly teetering on the brink of turning down the money for college, was this:

Bubba is approaching a difficult crossroads, and his family is, too. The reality behind this tall tale isn’t all that uncommon these days: He’s part of a family struggling with finances, hoping for a calmer tomorrow but aware that nothing is guaranteed.

Jimbo lost his job in January, let go during a five-minute talk after 18 years with the company. So far, the interviews haven’t yielded another steady paycheck. Deb clips coupons on Sundays, and in past years when Bubba played in summer baseball tournaments, the family drove to Tennessee or New Orleans and called it their vacation.

What good will college do this kid when his family loses his boyhood home if his dad can't find a job?

I really, really want Bubba here. He seems like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of recruit. But this kid has to deal with reality, too. Kid or young man, he simply cannot turn down the money.

If he doesn't make it in baseball, Nebraska football will always be there for him. Weeden from OSU did it.

Something tells me his dad could find a job in Lincoln or omaha pretty easily :D

Oh yea now we're talking ........ :corndance:corndance

I thought about that when I read that part of the article. Kind of like that kid who went to Arkansas whose mom just happened to get a job in the Arkansas athletic dept. during recruiting season.

From what I understand, many years ago Turner Gill faced a decision that was *exactly* the same as Starling’s.

No, Gill's decision was nowhere near the same either. He was drafted in the 2nd round, #36 in the draft. Perhaps he might've gone higher but MLB teams figured he was committed to football. Or perhaps not. I really don't know about that.

Darryl Strawberry went #1 in that draft, and got a bonus of $210,000. 1980 money is different from 2011 money, but no way does $210K in 1980 inflate to $6M today. $210K would improve your life but would not make you set for life if baseball went bad. $6M certainly could and should. And Gill wasn't going to get anywhere close to Strawberry's money.

Spoke with a friend of mine within the Royals organization. Most college kids can negotiate enough to get the MLB team to pay for their schooling if baseball doesnt work out. Bubba will not drop past 5 unless something happens unforseen.

Money might not buy happiness, but it can set your mind at ease for future wise if planned right.

Also he can do the exact as OSUs QB and come back a few years later after having the money and then get a degree. Let's just hope he doesn't turn out like the player from Texas and get into drugs and get kicked out of Baseball. Remember he is a country kid that has yet to experience the world.

IMO, take the money now and get your degree later. There are people at the age of 50 that are getting their BS. Money gives you the time, so he will have plenty of time after his contract is up if he wants to persue the degree.

Spoke with a friend of mine within the Royals organization. Most college kids can negotiate enough to get the MLB team to pay for their schooling if baseball doesnt work out. Bubba will not drop past 5 unless something happens unforseen.

I don't believe it's even a negotiation - I think it's just part of how the MLB does things. Either that or it's so common that it's just expected in every contract.

Starling's decision isn't too much different than Suh's decision after his Jr. year. And it worked out ok for him, coming back to Lincoln.

It's VERY different.

- Suh's money was a mere 11 months away when he made his decision to come back. Starling's will be over 3 years away.

- Suh had a fat insurance policy to guarentee his decision. I don't know but I doubt Starling has one, and if he does it wouldn't be anywhere near the amount Suh's would have guarenteed him if injured. The extremely high premiums would need to be paid for 3 years of risk, not months.

- Suh almost had his degree. Even if Starling comes here and decides to leave in 3 years he'll won't have his degree. The only way to get that degree is to commit for a full 4 years.

- If Suh came back, had a disapointing senior year and fell to the very bottom of the 1st round he was still getting over 7 million guarenteed money. Starling falls out of the first round and he goes from being a guarenteed millionaire to "maybe" signing for a around a million. That's not a lifetime of financial security by any means.

- Suh was a proven college athlete, with a guarenteed starting spot. Starling could be riding the bench for the next couple years.

- Generally HS baseball players are worth more than college baseball players when it comes to draft contracts.

The RISK for Starling is tremendous. Not just monetarily. Suh had very little risk. He was going to be a millionair in 11 months regardless.

You're not telling me anything new. So I'll restate the obvious also. Starling could enter the MLB draft and take the money now. Or come to UNL and risk a possible injury. Suh’s decision after his junior year was similar inasmuch as he could have entered the 2009 NFL draft and taken the money right then. Instead he risked injury all of 2009——had guys going after his knees in several games. But in the end it worked out to his advantage. That's all I meant.

Suh’s decision was similar. From what I understand, many years ago Turner Gill faced a decision that was *exactly* the same as Starling’s.

If only it was that simple. Suh had the money regardless of the outcome of his decision. There was almost NO CHANCE that Suh would not be a millionaire in 11 months. I'd say it's not even 50/50 for Starling. You have no idea how his Nebraska baseball career could play out. Who knows what will happen in football. A crippled Suh was still worth 5-10 million going into that senior season. A crippled Starling is worth zero.

And many years ago Gill turned down the equivalent 2-3 years salary. Starling will be turning down the equivalent of 100 years salary. Khiry Cooper turned down a few years salary to wait 3 years to be a regular starter on the baseball team batting around .280 (5 other players are batting above .300), non-contributer on the football team. Thus far it's not exactly working out how he planned it I'm sure.

Starling is in a unique position that can't be compared to any past Husker that chose college over $$. I actually can't think of anyone off the top of my head that has ever turned down 5+ million to go to college. Anyone?