Huskers Draft Thread

Hopefully this can become a bit of an official thread for discussing who's worked out for what teams, who's getting drafted where, etc etc... right up to draft day. I know the draft and next season looks really murky right now, but the draft is still on and I'm still very interested in where our boys wind up.

Mods, I guess feel free to do away with this thread if you think it isn't a good idea...

I had a nice tidbit to share that I picked up on yesterday. I read my Philadelphia Eagles are bringing in Dejon Gomes for a workout... he'll most likely wind up as a safety. Obviously, I'd love to see use trade way up to snag Prince to pair with Asante Samuel, but Gomes has been every bit the playmaker throughout his two years here that Prince has.

Anybody hear anything else about other guys getting private workouts so far?

I don't know about workouts, I think the Titans worked out Prince (or will soon).

I've been watching a lot of mocks though, this is what I've observed, for what it's worth...

Most scout type guys (Kiper, etc...) have Prince 9th to the Cowboys. I've seen him as high as high as 5 to the Cardinals, but the next most common landing spot for him on mocks is 7 to the 49ers.

I've seen a few mocks with (I like Walter Football a lot) Niles and Roy as high as the fourth round, and as low as seventh for both. For some reason, I see Niles to the Ravens in the late rounds quite a bit. A lot of people like Hagg in late rounds too, usually to the Falcons - most likely because ESPN talked about how he would fit in well with them.

Walter Football also has Henery to the Steelers in the 6th. I'd say about a fifth of the mocks I see have Henery drafted, no earlier than late 5th, most of them in the 6th or 7th

A couple mocks I've seen have Pierre Allen in 6 or 7, Walter Football likes him to the Colts.

Haven't seen one yet with Gomes being drafted.

I know any idiot can make a mock, but I try to stick to the ones from sites with some credibility at least.

These sorts of things are so hard for me to predict! haha. I just know we are going to have more guys drafted this year than we did last year. Out of the 9-10 invited to the combine and the other 3-4 trying to get on a roster, I think we have 4-5 drafted and 3-4 signed via free agency. A couple more will tryout and make rosters somewhere.

I have Prince in the 1st to the Cowboys or Texans

Niles Paul next in the 4th to the Ravens

Then Roy in the 5th to the Cowboys or Patriots

Then I think a suprise guy gets drafted in the 6th or 7th being Eric Hagg or Keith Williams or Ricky Henry.

I have Gomes going as a free agent, Allen making a roster with a team tryout, McNeill making a roster with a team tryout, and the other guys not making it.

I have Gomes going as a free agent

Yeah, Gomes is way underrated. He might not get drafted. But it could work out better for him. Then *he* gets to have a hand in picking the team where he tries to make a roster.

Oh and I think someone will take Alex Henry in the last round.

Unfortunately, from what I've gathered, Alex has actually possibly dropped his draft stock during the post season events this year, so he could've performed his way out of getting drafted. I've heard the same with Pierre Allen... Was unimpressive at Senior Bowl, didn't work out at combine (IIRC). Out of all the positions though, teams should put the least stock into the off the field performances of kickers. It's all about what you can do on the turf. You can either put the ball between the pipes or you can't. Alex has definitely proven he can (moreso than any other kicker we've ever had, anyway), so if I'm a GM, I'm definitely looking at him in the late rounds... if I've done my homework. They don't call him the Skinny Assassin for nothing.

Gmoose, I too think I like Walterfootball the best out of all the mocks. I tend to stick to the reputable one as well, and I recognize the format of a few others from past years, but WF is definitely my #1 as well. I agree that a lot of mocks have Prince going to the Cowboys. They need help at corner about as badly as my Eagles do... Probably even worse. However, I noticed a couple weeks ago a ton of mocks started to have J.J. Watt as the Cowboys selection, with Prince falling to the Texans. Definite possibility... Jerry Jones seems more and more like Al Davis anymore. He drafts a lot of guys based on their physical tools, as opposed to actual proven playmakers. Watt definitely is a freak of nature... but taking him at number 9 might be reaching a bit.

Looks like either way our boy Prince winds up in Texas :)

These sorts of things are so hard for me to predict! haha. I just know we are going to have more guys drafted this year than we did last year. Out of the 9-10 invited to the combine and the other 3-4 trying to get on a roster, I think we have 4-5 drafted and 3-4 signed via free agency. A couple more will tryout and make rosters somewhere.

I have Prince in the 1st to the Cowboys or Texans

Niles Paul next in the 4th to the Ravens

Then Roy in the 5th to the Cowboys or Patriots

Then I think a suprise guy gets drafted in the 6th or 7th being Eric Hagg or Keith Williams or Ricky Henry.

I have Gomes going as a free agent, Allen making a roster with a team tryout, McNeill making a roster with a team tryout, and the other guys not making it.

Good breakdown as well, GKFB. A lot of those picks make sense. It will be interesting to see if Roy or Niles is next off the board after Prince. I think both of them probably helped their draft stock with their post season showings more than any other Huskers (besides Prince solidifying his top 15 status). Roy especially TORE IT UP at the combine. Niles also posted a better 40 time at our pro day than many thought possible.

I can't decide whether I like the lineman as pro prospects or not. For two years now, we've been hearing Keith Williams is/was our best lineman (or had the most potential), and yet, I personally hardly ever saw him prove it on the field. Now, whether or not you can blame that on his constantly being hurt is up for debate. However, I did see one magazine mock said he has awesome potential at the next level, but flat out called him out on "how badly he wants to dominate." Summed it up pretty well to me. Henry, he's as nasty as they come, but I question his pass pro at times. Guess we'll see. Who would you take if you could have one of the two at the next level? I'm tempted to say Ricky.

Oh and I think someone will take Alex Henry in the last round.

Unfortunately, from what I've gathered, Alex has actually possibly dropped his draft stock during the post season events this year, so he could've performed his way out of getting drafted. I've heard the same with Pierre Allen... Was unimpressive at Senior Bowl, didn't work out at combine (IIRC). Out of all the positions though, teams should put the least stock into the off the field performances of kickers. It's all about what you can do on the turf. You can either put the ball between the pipes or you can't. Alex has definitely proven he can (moreso than any other kicker we've ever had, anyway), so if I'm a GM, I'm definitely looking at him in the late rounds... if I've done my homework. They don't call him the Skinny Assassin for nothing.

The NFL does use a different kickers football, and I think Alex has had some trouble adjusting to it. It will most likely just take some time for him. I feel like the two biggest positives for Alex are that he is clutch, and he can also punt.

I think Henery will be drafted simply because he's too good to let slip into free agency. Someone will get antsy and take him. Think about all the traffic with NFL kickers this past season.

I love me some David Akers as an Eagles fan, but he can't keep kicking forever. I don't know... he's 36 now. We might be able to get anywhere from 3-15 more years out of him, depending on how badly he wants to keep kicking into his "Morten Andersen" years.

I'd love for the Eagles to snag Henery late. Go from one deadly accurate kicker to another. Just depends on how much longer Andy wants to keep Akers around, I guess.

I think Henery will be drafted simply because he's too good to let slip into free agency. Someone will get antsy and take him. Think about all the traffic with NFL kickers this past season.

I love me some David Akers as an Eagles fan, but he can't keep kicking forever. I don't know... he's 36 now. We might be able to get anywhere from 3-15 more years out of him, depending on how badly he wants to keep kicking into his "Morten Andersen" years.

I'd love for the Eagles to snag Henery late. Go from one deadly accurate kicker to another. Just depends on how much longer Andy wants to keep Akers around, I guess.

Haven't the eagles been on the fence with Akers lately? Just another case of kicker traffic in the NFL, the reason I think Alex goes late.

Sure he's adjusting to a new ball, but all kickers do. Not long ago Kiper and crew were saying he would be the highest kicker picked in years, and we were agreeing.

Haven't the eagles been on the fence with Akers lately? Just another case of kicker traffic in the NFL, the reason I think Alex goes late.

Sure he's adjusting to a new ball, but all kickers do. Not long ago Kiper and crew were saying he would be the highest kicker picked in years, and we were agreeing.

Hmm... I guess upon further review, I forgot that Akers declined to sign his transition tag for next year (similar to franchise tag). A lot was made of how Andy Reid commented on Akers missing two kicks in the playoff exit to the Packers, because it later turned out Akers was distracted by the fact his young daughter has cancer.

A bit of a backstory for you. I guess you're right. A lot of teams changed kickers lately. Dallas, Pittsburgh, Minnesota... and that's just the teams I can think of. Should be a good year for Alex to try to get taken. Wonder if he's got a chance to be taken before Mason Crosby, who was the highest drafted kicker I can remember for a while (5th round).

Found this:

Patrick Peterson has been a man playing among boys since his high school days, and it'll soon be time for this former LSU standout to take his skills to the NFL. Peterson, a cover corner with a thick build and elite return skills, is at the head of the 2011 draft class for all prospects, not just those at his position. He's perceived by NFL scout and executives as the cleanest, safest draft pick. But truth be told, Nebraska Prince Amukamara isn't far behind.

http://huskerextra.com/sports/football/article_00c98027-3293-5e1d-801f-a68efca78c35.html

A bit of a backstory for you. I guess you're right. A lot of teams changed kickers lately. Dallas, Pittsburgh, Minnesota... and that's just the teams I can think of. Should be a good year for Alex to try to get taken. Wonder if he's got a chance to be taken before Mason Crosby, who was the highest drafted kicker I can remember for a while (5th round).

Al Davis took Sebastian Janikowski with the 17th pick overall in 2000.

In the NFL they use brand new balls when kicking. They are a lot harder and many have struggled adapting quickly to it. Kickers in college love kicking beat up old footballs.

Alex goes in the 6th round IMO because the asset of being a hell of a punter, makes teams think of roster space. And he is that good as well.