BTN Offered to Televise the Spring Game

Nebraska athletic director Tom Osborne said Monday that Nebraska rejected the Big Ten Network's recent overture to televise the April 16 Red-White Spring Game "probably because we think it would affect our attendance. And if you're doing a lot of different things offensively or defensively, you don't necessarily want to put it out there where somebody could make a copy of it and work on you over the summer."

Nebraska may need all the advantages it can muster offensively. Plus, Bo Pelini long has felt the Spring Game has enough distractions without TV being on hand, too.

CLICK ME, YOU FOOL

I hope this is the last time they reject such offers from the BTN. Of course I'm going to the game, but I'd like to DVR it and watch it on TV afterwards. You never see everything live.

Erm, I may be a bit off base here and I hope I don't offend anyone here but this is the dumbest excuse I've heard in awhile. The spring game is more or less a glorified scrimmage. I highly doubt most teams are going to run their "secret plays" on tv and may just be focusing on the execution of their more basic plays and coaching up the younger guys. I get what Osbourne is saying but he's pretty much passing up an opportunity for more program exposure for not only the fans but the rest of the new conference members as well. I for sure was going to tune in to see you guys in action for the first time but unfortunately looks like that won't happen.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure Husker Nation is large enough that the 70k potential tickets sold will have little to NO impact on the tv draw from Husker fans all over the nation. Even moreso the attention from the rest of the B1G would have been on this game too.

But this is solely my opinion and I hope you guys see where I'm coming from. No disrespect though.

• Fire 2

Although, I can appreciate and understand where TO is coming from when he says that you don't want to put what you're doing out there so teams can work on you over the summer

Which in some insane universe could make sense..... except for the fact that they sell a DVD of the Spring game. Last year I had mine (in Florida) in less than a week after the SG.

Erm, I may be a bit off base here and I hope I don't offend anyone here but this is the dumbest excuse I've heard in awhile. The spring game is more or less a glorified scrimmage. I highly doubt most teams are going to run their "secret plays" on tv and may just be focusing on the execution of their more basic plays and coaching up the younger guys. I get what Osbourne is saying but he's pretty much passing up an opportunity for more program exposure for not only the fans but the rest of the new conference members as well. I for sure was going to tune in to see you guys in action for the first time but unfortunately looks like that won't happen.

Not to mention I'm pretty sure Husker Nation is large enough that the 70k potential tickets sold will have little to NO impact on the tv draw from Husker fans all over the nation. Even moreso the attention from the rest of the B1G would have been on this game too.

But this is solely my opinion and I hope you guys see where I'm coming from. No disrespect though.

Agree completey. I think you'll find that the majority of people here would agree, and those who don't should be committed. :ahhhhhhhh

Personally, I think that the Spring Game should be used an experiment. Not so much for the game but for the fans...Things I would like to see tried during the spring game

1. Put it on TV

2. Open up beer stands right across from the campus, kind of like what Champions Club is

3. Open up beer stands in the tailgate area in front of the staduim

4. Let people carry their beers around in cups and have more trash bins

5. Have some "professional" tailgaters set up that are selling their food

Its the Spring game, try a few different things, see what happens. Make it an "Event" not just a scrimmage.

Personally, I think that the Spring Game should be used an experiment. Not so much for the game but for the fans...Things I would like to see tried during the spring game

1. Put it on TV

2. Open up beer stands right across from the campus, kind of like what Champions Club is

3. Open up beer stands in the tailgate area in front of the staduim

4. Let people carry their beers around in cups and have more trash bins

5. Have some "professional" tailgaters set up that are selling their food

Its the Spring game, try a few different things, see what happens. Make it an "Event" not just a scrimmage.

RE: Items 1-4, while I'm 100% with you on these things, not only are we talking about UNL, we're talking about Lincoln, NE. Anything involving beer would NEVER fly. We're pushing it with the "beverages" in red cups on real Game Days.

I think Item #5 is a fantastic idea. It's entirely too logical to work, though.

Spring games to be televised

Date Time (ET) Spring Game Network

Sat, Apr 2 2:00 p.m. Baylor Bears MYTX-TV

Sat, Apr 2 2:30 p.m. Virginia Cavaliers ESPN3.com

Sun, Apr 3 3:00 p.m. Texas Longhorns ESPN/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 1:00 p.m. South Carolina Gamecocks ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 4:00 p.m. LSU Tigers ESPN/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 4:00 p.m. Clemson Tigers CSS/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 4:55 p.m. Stanford Cardinal ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 6:00 p.m. Mississippi State Bulldogs CSS/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 9 10:00 p.m. Purdue (tape delay) Big Ten Network

Sat, Apr 16 12:00 p.m. Michigan Wolverines Big Ten Network

Sat, Apr 16 1:00 p.m. Georgia Bulldogs CSS

Sat, Apr 16 2:00 p.m. Notre Dame Fighting Irish Versus

Sat, Apr 16 3:00 p.m. Arkansas Razorbacks ESPN/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 16 3:00 p.m. Alabama Crimson Tide ESPNU/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 16 3:00 p.m. Auburn Tigers CSS/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 16 4:00 p.m. Florida State Seminoles ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 16 5:00 p.m. Ole Miss (tape delay) CSS/ESPN3.com

Sat, Apr 16 9:00 p.m. Penn State (tape delay) Big Ten Network

Fri, Apr 22 7:00 p.m. Navy Midshipmen CBS College Sports

Sat, Apr 30 4:00 p.m. Oregon Ducks ESPN2/ESPN3.com

I am a bit perplexed by this decision. It can’t be secrecy. With 70k fans there the cat will be out of the bag with anything that’s done on the field. It wouldn’t be hard to film the whole thing, if one wanted to. And airing the game on BTN would affect ticket sales little, if any. We’ll get 70,000 people there no matter what. It just seems like a weird decision. And a lost opportunity.

I am a bit perplexed by this decision. It can’t be secrecy. With 70k fans there the cat will be out of the bag with anything that’s done on the field. It wouldn’t be hard to film the whole thing, if one wanted to. And airing the game on BTN would affect ticket sales little, if any. We’ll get 70,000 people there no matter what. It just seems like a weird decision. And a lost opportunity.

I don't get it either. They will already have a camera crew there, and they already plan to film it. They sell a freakin' DVD of the game. None of the excuses hold water.