Hawkeyes lose annual rivalry, gain another

IOWA CITY, Iowa -- The Heartland Trophy no longer sits in the atrium outside Iowa's football offices, and it won't be coming back until at least 2013.

Iowa's annual series against Wisconsin goes on hiatus the next two seasons, thanks to Big Ten expansion. The Hawkeyes and Badgers have been placed in opposite divisions without a protected crossover, allowing the rivalry to be put on hold for certain stretches. This fall will mark just the third time since 1936 that Iowa and Wisconsin don't play (the teams didn't meet in 1993 or 1994). And since Wisconsin won last year's game in Iowa City, the Hawkeyes must wait until Nov. 2, 2013, to reclaim the big brass bull.

"It is going to be strange not playing Wisconsin, I'll definitely say that," Iowa coach Kirk Ferentz said Friday. "That's going to be a little different, certainly. ... Wisconsin's obviously been a border rivalry, but the positives are we're flipping it for another border rivalry."

That would be Nebraska-Iowa, which has all the ingredients to become one of the Big Ten's most exciting matchups.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/25286/hawkeyes-lose-annual-rivalry-gain-another

I am sure there are now threads bitching in the iowas forum that we screwed this up for them also.

I highly doubt it. Between the Iowa/Nebraska border, Iowa fans have been waiting for this match up to happen every year and now their wish has come true. All of the Hawkeye fans that I know care more about this new "so called" rivalry against Nebraska than the Wisconsin rivalry.

I am sure there are now threads bitching in the iowas forum that we screwed this up for them also.

I highly doubt it. Between the Iowa/Nebraska border, Iowa fans have been waiting for this match up to happen every year and now their wish has come true. All of the Hawkeye fans that I know care more about this new "so called" rivalry against Nebraska than the Wisconsin rivalry.

I would rather have had both - but if I had to choose which one to play every year I would have chosen Wisconsin. Kind of hard to not play them every year - probalby similar to what you guys went through when you lost the annual game against Oklahoma. I am looking forward to the game with Nebraska but the Wisky game will be sad to see gone. I hope that when they change to 9 games that they add an additional cross division rival and we get Wisky back yearly to go with our yearly game against you guys.

...probalby similar to what you guys went through when you lost the annual game against Oklahoma.

No, not really. NU v. OU actually usually mattered in terms of the MNC for any given year, whereas the iowa wisconsin rivalry hasn't mattered at all.

In fact, the reason they didn't continue the latter "rivalry" is likely because it has been so meaningless, for so long.

And I'm guaranteeing that the new "rivalry" will matter just about as much. Anybody want to over/under on how many years it will be before the hickeyes win one? I'm saying 9.

I would rather have had both - but if I had to choose which one to play every year I would have chosen Wisconsin. Kind of hard to not play them every year - probalby similar to what you guys went through when you lost the annual game against Oklahoma. I am looking forward to the game with Nebraska but the Wisky game will be sad to see gone. I hope that when they change to 9 games that they add an additional cross division rival and we get Wisky back yearly to go with our yearly game against you guys.

:yeah

for the unknowing above, a rivalry has nothing to do with NC wins or losses or even being relevant to wins or losses. It is two teams playing each other, normally for a trophy that is important to both sides. It has to do with when college football was started. Nothing to do with how good one thinks one is. It is history tradition, but as unknowing above has no clue of any other program, he again has no idea of what he is talking about.

Lack of respect got us into the ten year pit we are/were in.

Their fans know what is more important to them, just as we do. We did not lose the Oklahoma game, they chose their true rival Texas. Just the way it is. Unfortunately Iowa/Wisconsin had no choice in the matter, which hurts worse I would think.

• Fire 1

Right on Bob! An example of a traditional rivalry is Army-Navy. It may not be that big of a deal for you and me, but for those two schools -- HUGE!!! To Badger and Hawkeye fans, their game has been HUGE!!! Too bad they both got the short end of the stick. I know Wisconsin also wanted the Skers as a rival every year ... of all the Big 10 schools, they got the worst deal.

...probalby similar to what you guys went through when you lost the annual game against Oklahoma.

No, not really. NU v. OU actually usually mattered in terms of the MNC for any given year, whereas the iowa wisconsin rivalry hasn't mattered at all.

In fact, the reason they didn't continue the latter "rivalry" is likely because it has been so meaningless, for so long.

And I'm guaranteeing that the new "rivalry" will matter just about as much. Anybody want to over/under on how many years it will be before the hickeyes win one? I'm saying 9.

Cool your jets BI. We still aren't what we were and they are better than what they once were. I can remember when Hayden Fry took over the Iowa and we signed a 4 year hme and home series with them. A lot of people in Nebraska thought 4 wins in the books and I said they will win at least one and they did. The 'Ws' go in the books AFTER the game is played.

T_O_B

:bonesflag::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::throwdabones1::bonesflag: